January 6, 2014

Monday Operational Update

One thing is for sure, the beginning of 2014 sure hasn’t been kind to US aviation!

The new year began with the winter storm some called Hercules, is shutting down the heaviest trafficked air corridor in the world during one of the heaviest travel periods of the year. Mother Nature then followed that up with icing conditions over the weekend, causing even more issues and ground stops at the airports. Even as airports began to reopen though, newly launched FAA regulations on pilot duty times caused delayed flights to quickly turn into canceled ones. Now today, less than a week into the year, we’re watching a polar vortex wreak havoc on flight schedules across the industry, as rainy weather prepares to turn airports in the Northeast into ice rinks once again.

More than 3,000 flights across the industry have been cancelled today, and roughly 300 of those will be JetBlue’s. Beginning at 1 p.m. ET today, we’ll reduce operations at JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and Boston through 10 a.m. ET Tuesday. At that time, we’ll gradually ramp up again – we intend to be 100% operational by 3 p.m. ET on Tuesday. This plan allows for 17 hours of rest for crews, and time for Tech Ops to service the aircraft.

These industry wide cancellations, on top of the previous days’ cancellations, have now left millions of air travelers displaced, struggling to find any available seat to get to their destinations. With planes already full with previously booked holiday travelers, remaining seats are quickly filled, (for some of the other guys, even overbooked), and some customers aren’t seeing available seats for nearly a week. If your flight has been canceled, you can rebook travel or request a refund online. More information on current travel alerts and fee waivers can be found on our Travel Alerts page. We also still request customers are encouraged to check the status of their flight online prior to leaving for the airport.

For our part, this isn’t the sort of operation we’re happy about, and have stood up every available resource throughout the last week to work with customers and adjust our schedules to minimize impact. While we have to reduce operations in our Northeast cities today, we’ll take the opportunity to use some of those planes and crews for extra sections between cities where we they’re most needed and move crews in preparation for starting back up on Tuesday. Our first priority is to support the operation and assist customers with immediate travel needs, but will be reaching out to any impacted customer we have contact information to offer compensation. Customers with specific questions on compensation are asked to contact our Customer Support team via jetblue.com.

Posted by in Uncategorized | Permalink | 19 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

19 Comments on “Monday Operational Update”

• Posted by bill on January 6, 2014 at 1:04 pm

A lot of people are really hurting from these delays and you are doing nothing to help them. You are not even replying to them on your Facebook page. Way to go.

• Posted by Eric Purington on January 6, 2014 at 1:13 pm

No other airline was so poorly prepared. I flew United during the storm without an issue.

Now, your phone and website do not work. Let me know when you are a real airline.

• Posted by Stefanie on January 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm

So will a flight at 7:22 pm out of Boston Tuesday 1/7 be ok to fly?

• Posted by Daniel Gally on January 6, 2014 at 1:37 pm

1-800-JETBLUE is the most frustrating experience ever…. “Due to high wait call volumes and long wait times this call will end now, goodbye!” Ughhhh… it’s been 3.5 hours and I can’t even get into the queue!!!

• Posted by terrie hanscom on January 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Jetblue I am sorry for all the trouble you are experiencing. Your reservation agents we nothing but pleasant to me with rescheduling my daughter on Thursday with her scheduled flit on Friday. She arrived at home in Fort Lauderdale safely. Thank you for that. I will be flying with you next week happily.

• Posted by george on January 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Seems like the website is down (cannot find my cancelled flight at all) and the phone line just went to a high pitched sound after 45min of holding.. The mobile app found my flight, sais at 11am new plans would be sent to us in 2hrs .. that was 4hrs ago.

Anything, Jet Blue? Not good..

• Posted by Debra on January 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Thank you for the update.

• Posted by Dave Rester on January 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Extremely unreliable service. My last two flights cancelled without so much as an email. Customer service severely understaffed. I guess the website looks pretty though and hey, if you can get on a flight you get a few extra inches of legroom!.

You just lost a customer. If you cannot provide you fundamental service reliably your operation is broken – close down or reorganize

• Posted by Justin Stone on January 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

So, if you have a flight after 3p in one of those airports you should be good? I’m really hoping you answer with a gigantic “Yes.”

• Posted by M Allison on January 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Your link to “request a refund online” doesn’t bring me to a place where I can do this.

I was scheduled to fly from BOS to LAS on Saturday, 1/4/14, for a business event and return LAS to BOS on 1/8/14. My 1/4/14 flight was cancelled. I spoke to an agent on Saturday and was put on a waitlist for a flight to LAS. It’s now 1/6/14, and it’s too late for me to travel to LAS even if a flight became available. Even though I never flew to LAS, the return ticket is still open. I’m trying to cancel without a penalty fee, and this is where I’m having a problem.

According to your website, JetBlue’s Northweast Fee Waiver allows me to cancel the flight without any penalty. However, when I followed your link above to “request a refund online,” the only option remotely resembling this is “cancel entire itinerary” under “Itinerary Options.” When I select this option, a cancellation fee is applied. I have not completed the request because I know that JetBlue should not be charging this cancellation fee.

I can’t get through your phone lines to speak to an agent. Beyond asking the credit card company to place a dispute on this charge, I don’t know how to initiate the refund process for this flight that I’m unable to take because the first leg was cancelled.

Can you please address this concern? Thank you very much.

• Posted by PerryArmstrong on January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm

JetBlue do you really think the public is stupid,, now your using the weather as your scapegoat for poor management. I understand the weather played a factor in this but other airlines are still running with less cancelations. I’ve been rescheduled 3 times since Thursday, charged extra fees, wasn’t refunded for my extra leg room seats. Now I cant even reach an agent on the phone. I’ve been a fan of JetBlue since you started, A Trueblue member with an American Express card. Now im moving on, Today I got a new Chase Sapphire Card and a Southwest Rewards Card. Good Bye JetBlue and AmEX

PS I’m also selling your stock!!

• Posted by lisbeth mendizabal on January 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I have been on the phone all day today trying to reach Jetblue since my mother’s already re-scheduled flight for today was scheduled for Wednesday and you did not bother to re-schedule her connecting flight. At this point I reached out to Expedia with whom I originally made the reservation…. I have been on the phone for over two hours and this person does not understand the problem you caused! I am so frustrated I do not know what to do. I would like for someone from Jetblue to email or call me to fix this asap. 917-365-6611

• Posted by Kristy Sanden on January 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I need to get back home to California immediately! I cannot get through at the 1-800 number after many tries, and I can’t navigate passed the manage my flight option. I need to know what options I have or how soon I can get another flight.
    Please help!!
    Kristy

• Posted by Mike Kirwan on January 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I just wanted to let you all know today I was at JFK with my 15 year old niece. As you are aware her flight was delayed big time. The staff at the courtesy counter was so friendly and gave me a pass to go thru security with her while she waited which turned out to be quite awhile. We both enjoyed the amenities of Terminal 5. The gate agents also were very informative as her flight finally came close to boarding and remained very friendly. JetBlue once again came thru and did absolutely all they could. The safety of your crew and pilots is just as important as all of us. Thank you all again for the hospitality shown to us today and proud that you call NY home

• Posted by simon milne on January 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Jetblue have put a wonderful PR spin on this, when its fair weather youre the best when its bad youre the worst, you still did not learn from feb14, 2007 when Neeleman was chopped, I hope barger is next

you have stranded us and your staff in BGI and we have more I fo than your staff in BGI your customer service is diabolical, and yes maybe you should keep on standby aircraft to charter and additional customer service reps, hold times are 3 hours plus if you dont hang upmon us!
    you are far from NY or Bostons favorite airline

ifmyou can recover from this it will be a PR miracle

• Posted by Rosemary Lione on January 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm

What is status of flight572 scheduled to depart PBI at 9a.m. Jan. 7?

• Posted by Rosemary Lione on January 6, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I need to know status of flight 572, scheduled to depart PBI 9:00a.m. Jan. 7.

• Posted by Nathan Lowry on January 6, 2014 at 8:31 pm

This post is framed to read as if JetBlue has handled these circumstances well, as if every other carrier has canceled all flights into NYC.

This is misleading and infactual.

Most travelers are rebooking with other airlines at their own expense because other carriers are in fact continuing service in and out of NYC.

These cancelations are more about poor management than the weather.

I am fortunate enough to have a seat on another carrier. No thanks to JetBlue, who only offered to honor my ticket for a flight five or six days after the original date, but otherwise didn’t even offer an apology.

• Posted by Phyllis on January 6, 2014 at 8:39 pm

If I have a pre scheduled flight out of Boston on Jan 9th should I assume I will ok?