If you’ve flown with us before you know we already own the “most legroom in coach,” now we’re about to confirm another title: “the most comfortable seat in coach.”
Why the focus on space and comfort? The answer lies within Don Uselmann, our Manager of Customer Experience. At 6’5” tall, and as someone who spends time nearly every week flying on airplanes, Don understands more than anyone how important space and seat comfort are to the overall experience. As the man charged with selecting and designing our new onboard experience, it’s no wonder we’ve made the most spacious seats in the skies even roomier and more comfortable.
That’s why truth be told, we don’t like to use the word “coach.” We like to say the “core experience,” because what we offer is much more elevated than what you normally think of “coach.” But no matter what you call it, one thing’s for sure: the core JetBlue experience will maintain its leadership position as best in class. Here’s how:
It all begins with the feeling customers will get when entering our brand-new cabins. No detail is overlooked when designing a cabin interior, and any color, light, or piping is intentional, and there to make the right impression on our customers.
The bright, white interior fixtures create a feeling of freshness and openness. This is complemented by the darker palette of our seats, dressed in two-tone graphite covers.
A distinctive piping adds a sophisticated feel to the performance-driven design, and a playful orange color is brought into the cabin to differentiate our Even More Space offering.
More living space
We already have the most legroom in coach, and now we’re giving our customers even more living space! Compared to our current “classic” seats, our new seats offer more space in all the right places:
- Headroom – Almost 2 inches more!
- Legroom – 1 inch more!
- “Ankleroom” – 3 ½ inches more!
Living space was top of mind with every aspect of the seat’s design. Even the armrests are contoured to provide more “bellyroom.” Even with the contoured shape, our new armrests offer more surface space.
Creature comforts throughout
We moved away from other popular “slimline” seat designs because we refused to sacrifice comfort for space. We traveled the globe looking for the right partner to help us design a seat that not only maximizes living space, but also offers a more comfortable experience while doing so!
- A seat you sit in, not on. While this may sound like a minor distinction, the benefits are tremendous. The seat cushion has been lowered so your body sits lower into the seat. The cushion has also been slightly angled, raising your legs ever so slightly. Even those who have long legs like Don will find this is a more comfortable position that maximizes living space.
- Suspension seating surface. Although it may be nice to relax on a park bench, you wouldn’t want to do so for hours at a time. Our new seats eliminate the hard surface found below traditional seat cushions (and park benches!), replacing it with a woven fabric that suspends from both sides of the seat. This is analogous to a wheelchair, which was also designed to be used for long periods.
- Ergonomic positioning of the things you use. Ever feel like you’re slouching over your tray table to eat? Or like you’re struggling to find a comfortable place to rest your arms? Years of ergonomic studies helped us and our business partner find the perfect positioning of these components that improve comfort.
- Four-way movable headrests at every seat. Our new headrests are adjustable up-and-down for height, and “wings” give your head a comfortable place to lean for sleeping.
- A brand-new entertainment system. We already offer the most live, free content in the U.S., but we’re adding even more. Our new system will support up to 100 channels of DirecTV® programming plus 100+ channels of SiriusXM® Radio. All will be viewable on a 10.1” state-of-the-art widescreen monitor.
- We’ve got power. In-seat power, with standard 110v and USB ports, will be accessible from every seat on the aircraft. One per seat in Even More Space and two per “seat triple” in all other core seats.
- Drink holder. No tray table needed! Oftentimes, innovation comes from solving problems. In this case, it was a real problem Don has experienced firsthand for years. As a fixture on early-morning departures, he often has a cup of coffee in hand. Despite the need for caffeine, it’s always been a challenge since the tray table can’t be used until airborne. He thought to himself, “Why can’t there be a drink holder that could be used at all times?” There was no good answer why there couldn’t be, so we built one. Our drink holder is designed to hold most standard-size beverage bottles – and coffee cups, too! This small touch is sure to have a big impact.
- Stay connected and productive with Fly-Fi. Of course, our refreshed core JetBlue Experience will offer Fly-Fi, the fastest and most affordable internet experience at altitude.
Plus, we still have more tricks up our sleeves! Please use the “comments” below to let us know what you think!