December 7, 2012

Thanking Our Customers for Their Hurricane Sandy Donations

Hurricane Sandy exceeded the worst expectations, affecting millions of people in the Northeast, including many of our own crewmembers and customers. While we were struck by the devastation of the storm, we were even more overwhelmed by the generosity of our customers.

With your thoughtful donation to jetbluegives.org, together we’ve raised more than $820,000 to the Red Cross to aid in the rebuilding efforts of our impacted communities. For donating, your TrueBlue points have been automatically deposited into your account. We know we’re very lucky to have customers like you who are there to help those in need. From all of us at JetBlue, thank you for caring.

On Dec. 17, we’re presenting the Red Cross with a check as a symbol of the work we’ve all done together. We would love to share your stories with the organization: Why did you give? What message would you like to send to the Sandy victims?

Tell us your story in the below comments section.

Learn more about our ongoing efforts

Posted by in Community, Customers | Permalink | 32 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

32 Comments on “Thanking Our Customers for Their Hurricane Sandy Donations”

• Posted by Jessica Aldrich on December 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Being from the East Coast and being a person who saw first hand what Hurricane Floyd did to our town and how it affected our neighbors and community, I couldn’t help but send a donation. As many people are when they hear of natural disasters, your initial thought is “What if that were me, how can I help?” Although my donation was small, I feel that in reality no donation is too small, no amount of money or time will be turned away or not wanted. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those individuals, families, neighbors, community,and businesses that have been affected.

• Posted by Ofelia Bee on December 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I donated because as one of the thousands stuck in New York during Sandy (my JetBlue flight was rescheduled 2 days after original date out of JFK), I watched in person and on TV people’s lives and livelihoods being displaced indefinitely. I knew that the resilience of these people would help them recover, but I couldn’t help thinking that if I were one of these people, I would hope that others would unite to help.

Thank you, JetBlue, for coordinating these efforts. This is only one of many reasons I will continue to be a True Blue traveler.

• Posted by Charlie on December 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Dear Hurrican Sandy Victims,

I’m sorry for your distress, loss and general upheaval. I’m sorry too that I didn’t research better outlets to donate before I gave money to the Red Cross. It seems like the most obvious thing to do everytime there’s a catastrophic event. But being within the impact zone, I’ve seen first hand the effectiveness of smaller grassroots organizations versus the inability of the Red Cross to get out into these communities and deal with people’s immediate needs. The wide reaching efforts of groups like Occupy Sandy are, in my opinion, more worthy of support.

• Posted by Danusia Filipowski on December 7, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I think it’s our responsibility to take care of each other. I am happy to help others and I hope that if I was in need someone would step up to help me. I also have a lot of friends and family that live in the areas that were effected by the storm.

• Posted by Paula on December 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I have been blessed to have never personally been hit with this type of situation nor any loved ones. I live in Boston/Florida and this really was so close to home, I have friends that live in Rockaway, Statten Island, New Jersey, this has always been something I see on the news far away and yes of course you feel terrible and yes you’ll donate but never do you expect to see anything like this happening almost in your own back yard. I still get almost daily updates, some people still don’t have telephone service. There were days no food other than what they had in their home. One family living on the 10th floor, once their was food having to go down 10 flights walk through mud drag what they could carry and back up 10 flights and they’re not young people. It still makes my heart heavy thinking how these poor people are after living in these areas all their lives, it’s so sad.

• Posted by Elizabeth Tobey on December 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I gave because I have experienced a natural disaster myself. I survived a very close call with a tornado on the University of Maryland campus in 2001, just ten days after the 9-11 attacks. Tragedy can strike unexpectedly to anyone, and we need to be able to help out those in need.

• Posted by bill bagshaw on December 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

hello,
    when i received the email from Jet Blue asking for donations for the victims of Hurrican Sandy, i was glad to contribute. i have friends and family in the RI, CT, and NJ area. it’s only natural that one should help them out. there is no better organization than the Red Cross to do so! my hat’s off to Jet Blue and the Red Cross for teaming up to help the Sandy victims!!

Bill Bagshaw,
    wbagshaw@neac.com

• Posted by Rosalind Sutherland on December 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I live in New Orleans, so I am very aware of the emotional toll of living through a disaster. My advice to the victims of Sandy is to take one day at a time, one task at a time and don’t try to go it alone. Remember that there are people who you will never see or meet, who are sharing what they can (money, clothing, volunteering,etc.) and praying for your safety and well-being. Hang in there!

• Posted by Gary Clopp on December 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I gave because it’s the right thing to do! Helping people in need is an absolute no-brainer. Kudos to Jet Blue and all other organizations and individuals who stepped up to help the Sandy victims.

• Posted by Robert De Marco on December 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I grew up in NJ. I still have family living there. My summer months were spent on the Jersey Shore in Lavalette. My grandmothers house was home to many of her grandkids who wanted to work and spend their summers at the shore. Her house has been sold but my aunt who lives across the street and a cousin who is down the block still live their. That area of the shore is unique in that less than a half smile separates the ocean from the bay. During Sandy those houses were all all 4 – 5 feet deep in water. The devastation was immense. My heart goes out to my family and friends who had to endure such destruction.

• Posted by beth mueller on December 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I live in Vermont and last year we had our own floods. People were very kind to help us, and as much as the help itself, it was nice just to know that we were not alone.
    I guess this is kind of paying it backward, or backward forward.

• Posted by Peter Weldon on December 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I gave to the Red Cross to help those impacted by SuperStorm Sandy because my property was in the path of the storm but not badly damaged. Many homes in my area were flooded, some are total losses. My neighbors needed help and my good fortune made it appropriate to contribute to their aid.

• Posted by Robin Wolf on December 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I have 2 daughters in Brooklyn that weathered Hurricane Sandy. Although they were not critically affected they know many who were. They told me stories of those most affected and I, too, wanted to reach out. Thank you, Jet Blue Community, for all your help.

• Posted by Steven C Woznick Jr on December 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

My donation first came from the request from JetBlue to assist. I did this based on my history with them and the fact that they have been there for us in the past when flight delays or 10 years ago during the East Coast power outage, they were not only there for us but provided comfort and a friendly atmosphere during a critial time for them and us. I will always support them for that reason alone.

Secondly, the American Red Cross is always first boots on the ground after a disaster. The first responders always clear the way but the Red Cross has a presence throughout. They are visiable and reliable. I knew my monies and those of others would go directly to the cause. We live in Florida and we too know that any time during the Hurricane season, tragedy could affect us and our friends as well. The Red Cross will be there, regardless of the conditions.

Thanks to JetBlue for making the plea and thanks to the Red Cross for being there when we the people need them.

Merry Christmas and thanks from all of us!

Steve and JoAnn Woznick
    Sunrise, FL

• Posted by Byron Hartunian on December 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

What makes us good human beings is to be thankful for our blessings and to help our neighbors when they suffer uncontrolled loses. But for the grace of God, we could be the ones suffering. Personally, my fondest memories are from my times at the Jersey Shore and I want to see restoration so others will be able to say the same. Thank you JetBlue for your concern and involvement.
    I’m very proud to fly your airline!

• Posted by Susan Ayers on December 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

As a child growing up on the South Texas coast, our area went through several devastating hurricanes. I remember working with my parents at the Red Cross Shelter giving away new mattresses and blankets. It is a privilige to be able to give a little back now that I’m an adult, in memory of my parents and all hurricane victims. To Sandy survivors… I hope that you know that you are not forgotten. America cares! We are saddened by your tragic losses and wish for your swift recovery.

• Posted by Irene R Couture on December 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

It touched me that Sandy did so much damage. I wish I could have done more. I have relatives on Long Island and they were affected and elderly. I have flown Jet Blue for years with my partner, Ginger, my Italian Greyhound. They are an excellent airline.

• Posted by Niki Glarakis on December 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Being a resident of Long Island I was affected by Sandy by losing power for a few days, however nowhere near the damage I saw in other areas. I knew I had to and felt obligated to help the communities that were hit hard by Sandy. On Nov 17th the local church put together a volunteer group and we traveled to Far Rockaway to help with demolition work. I felt truly grateful to be part of such an effort and help homeowners who never would have been able to do it on their own. Yet it is heartbreaking to see the amount of loss and devastation Sandy left. I also donated money since Jetblue is a company that showed initiative to help. Even though I work a seasonal job as a server on the east end, I did what I could and thank the many people and companies like Jetblue, who have made a difference. We will rebuild again.

• Posted by richard erickson on December 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

those of us that can help-should help. it is just the right thing to do.–and it feels good-that’s the selfish part of it—good luck to those that were affected and hang in there–things will get better

• Posted by jim molini on December 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

the email from JetBlue was a reminder that I had not gotten around to making a donation to the Red Cross. It was also a reminder that several of those neighborhoods are home to JetBlue employees, so many of whom, are based here in NYC. It was a perfect opportunity to be of some small help to the storm victims and it also made me confident in the two organizations involved
    i.e. JetBlue and The American Red Cross, and that the donation would be used efficiently.
    Jim Molini

• Posted by jim molini on December 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

the email from JetBlue was a reminder that I had not gotten around to making a donation to the Red Cross. It also was a reminder that several of the neighborhoods hardest hit by the storm are home to JetBlue employees.
    It was a perfect opportunity to be of some help to the storm victims and it also made me confident that the two organizations involved i.e. JetBlue and the American Red Cross would make sure that the donation would be used efficiently.

• Posted by Kathy Adams on December 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Hurricanes are frightening events and being from the east cosat, I have experienced quite a few in my lifetime. I could not imagine living through what these folks had to endure and my heart goes out to them all. I want them to know we care and when tragedy strikes, we all help out one another. Thank you Jet Blue for allowing me to donate in the manner you provided. I am proud of your airline!

• Posted by Suzanne on December 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm

“I grew up at the ocean.” That is something I often mention to people – because in many ways, it will always be home. I never even understood that people did not live near beaches, bridges, the boardwalk, and the water. It was just something that was a part of my life since birth. I still have family there and friend who own small businesses. My first job was working the rides on the Ocean City boardwalk. When I was 31, I moved to NYC and spent almost a decade living there. That too, in my heart, will also remain to me as “home.” I usually donate to disasters, but this one literally struck close to home. My family was blessed to be ok, and I feel it is our duty to help as much as we can.

• Posted by Louise Villano on December 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

My husband and I are former residents of Long Beach (LI) and still have friends there who lost everything. My late best friend worked for the Red Cross and had only praise for the organization and their volunteers. When JetBlue offered to match donations, I did so in her memory and also because I no longer live in NY to volunteer. My heart goes out to everyone who was severely impacted by that terrible storm. I’ve seen YouTube videos of the devastation showing piles of furniture and personal belongings on sidewalks. One of the houses on one of the videos was the house we lived in.

• Posted by Linda Pugsley on December 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm

As a Florida resident for many years and many hurricanes, I know how tough it is to have electricity and plumbing loss for weeks at a time. Tree debris is costly and dangerous, roads are closed, stores not open…it’s a mess. Always glad to help someone going through similar situation…and in this case, so much worse. My prayers are with all the people still suffering.

• Posted by Bruce D Hickman on December 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I gave to this effort for a few reasons, first of which it’s the right thing to do. Also, being a South Florida resident for some 60 yrs or so, I am all to familiar with Hurricanes and the devastating affect they can have. I am retired from FPL, one of Floridas major Public Utilities and have on many occasions worked long hours (16 hrs a day) for many days straight (up to 90 days) to get power back to our customers as fast as possible. I do know what the victims of Sandy are going through and whatever I can do to make it just a little easier is what I will do.

• Posted by Robin Newmark on December 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I gave because my daughter finally moved out of our house on Sept. 1 to Long Beach. Her apt. was flooded and she lost all her personal belongings. It wasn’t just her losses, but the devestation she witnessed is something none of us should ever have to face in our lifetimes. In addition, we were in San Francisco and got cancelled and Jet Blue was very accomodating during the whole ordeal. Thank you for matching the gifts, and let’s pray this will be the beginning of good things in 2013.

• Posted by Liz Tutino on December 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

My sister and her family were victims of Sandy. My sister’s home was flooded and many of her belongings were destroyed, including two cars. Living in Florida, I was unable to get to Long Island to help in their time of need, and it hurt me deeply. I thought the least I can do is donate to JetBlueGives. My prayers are with my sister and her family as well as all those suffering from the effects of Sandy.

• Posted by Jose Rodriguez on December 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Cordial greetings to all the organizers and the people who lived this hurricane, encourage me to work because I feel that we should help those in need regardless of race, language, my motto is “Today for you, tomorrow for me” . Wish you a happy Christmas and a 2013 full of happiness.
    Post a Colombian from Bogota city to all the organizers and the people who lived through the hurricane.

• Posted by Deb Stoll on December 13, 2012 at 7:32 am

I spent many vacations at the Jersey Shore. My heart went out to the people that live there. I was glad to have an opportunity to help. I wish I could of done more. Thank you JetBlue and RedCross for being there for all of the people that need you.

• Posted by S Noriega on December 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm

We are one nation under God..We are all united as human beings. We share each others grief, and unpleasant circumstances..as well as each others joys.
    Giving goes back many years. It’s a joy to be able to give.
    God bless all the Sandy victims..Keep your faith on God who is the giver and the taker. All will be restored.

• Posted by JetBlue Customers and TrueBlue Members Donate $820,000 to the Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts | The Serious Speculator on December 18, 2012 at 11:59 am

[...] Click here to view additional customer comments.  [...]