October 30, 2012

Recovering from Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy ripped through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast portions of the U.S. causing devastation with wind gusts peaking at 90 mph and unprecedented storm surges that flooded the streets of towns and cities throughout multiple states. Our thoughts are with those who have been impacted by the storm in any way.

New York’s LaGuardia Airport

We’re expecting to bring partial operations back to Washington D.C. and Boston later today, as those cities report good airport conditions and fair public transit options.  All NYC airports are reporting damage and debris on the field and other infrastructure issues so we’ll watch that closely and resume operations as soon as we’re able to. With many subways, tunnels and trains around the NY Metro area flooded, there’s even work to be done to even get people to airports. We have been in constant contact with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, NYC’s Office of Emergency Management, and FEMA, and we will rely on their reports to gauge our start up plan. We need to make sure the airports are ready before we can start flying.

New York’s LaGuardia Airport

We’re offering fee waiversfor changes or cancellations to rebook through November 14. Call us at 1-800-JETBLUE to rebook your flight. Please note that you will be contacted directly if your flight is cancelled.

We appreciate everyone’s patience as we evaluate our plan for a safe return to normal operations. Stay tuned here on BlueTales and on jetblue.com for updates. Please stay safe and continue to follow the good advice of local authorities to stay indoors.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How’s my flight for today/tomorrow?
You can always see the most current status of your flight at http://bit.ly/JBStatus.  If your flight is cancelled, please call 1-800-JETBLUE and an agent can help outline available options

The storm has passed, why can’t you fly?
We moved our planes and crews out of the area as the hurricane came through. We’re now working to put those pieces back together. We’re making sure our crewmembers, and airports are ready to fly, and moving planes and crews back into position.

Is there any chance you’ll reinstate my cancelled flight now that the storm has passed?
We aren’t reinstating any previously cancelled flights. If you need assistance rebooking, please call 1-800-JETBLUE. The storm may have passed, but the recovery hasn’t. We still need to make sure our crewmembers are okay, and the airports and runways are ready for flights.

Are you adding extra sections?
We have a very small number of spare aircraft. While we’re looking into extra sections, we’ll only be able to add them on a few routes.

Will you rebook me on another carrier?
If your flight was cancelled, we can offer you a full refund so you can take another carrier, but please remember all carriers are recovering from this storm. While we can sometimes accommodate customers on partner carriers, all airlines are similarly full. We will offer you a refund on your cancelled flight if you want to make other arrangements.

Resources:
American Red Cross
NYC Office of Emergency Management
National Weather Service
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

*We published an image earlier that we believed was taken by one of our crewmembers at LGA following Sandy but are learning it might have been taken by someone else. JetBlue does operate at LGA but not at this gate. We apologize for any confusion. Verified JetBlue LGA images taken after Sandy are included in this post.

Posted by in Breaking News, Customers | Permalink | 80 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

80 Comments on “Recovering from Hurricane Sandy”

• Posted by Ralph M Bohm on October 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm

WOW! Beachfront property right at the jetway!

• Posted by Alice King on October 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Jet Blue you are doing an awsome job. I cancelled my trip to BDL scheduled for tomorrow with no hassels what so ever and ever so nice ajents. Wish I could say the same for some other reservations I had. Thank you! I will be back!

• Posted by sanjeev on October 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hi

This is Sanjeev .. I am in India but wife and kids and in Jew Jersey. Not able to reach them from last 12 hours over phone.

We were in orlando for vacation in second week of Oct..Our flights out of EWR was delayed bcos of some tech issue. The support, info given by Jet Blue was awesome. Though airline flew us to Orlando but pilot announced free movie, and refund ….I said hold on.. we didn’t even ask for this. Great people… one of the best airline in US. Far better than some of international carriers. I love you guys. Please keep the good work. I will always fly jet blue. My company travel desk and my assistant were reluctant to book on jet blue…but I can tell them …take a break…jet blue rocks.

• Posted by Seraphina Brennan on October 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I hope all of your crew and personnel are safe, and that none of the equipment is too badly damaged. These pictures are insane, and just serve as a reminder for how powerful Sandy really was.

Hope to see you guys back in the air soon, but safety first! Warmest wishes and thoughts to everyone over at jB!

• Posted by Larry Mendez on October 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Appreciated your help switching to an earlier flight out of BOS. We got back to Dallas in time to watch Sandy hit the northeast. Thanks for taking us home!

• Posted by Kimberly Ayala on October 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’m confident that Jet Blue will do all it can to assist it’s customers. Jet Blue is an outstanding company and I’ve never had any issues when flying with them.

• Posted by Bonnie McGowan on October 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I spoke to a very sweet lady at JetBlue, ironically named SANDY, and she was VERY helpful!! Thanks for all your help!

• Posted by Kim N on October 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Great job keeping everyone safe. Do you happen to have any news or updates on flights out of Newark tomorrow?

• Posted by Josh B on October 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

@JetBlue – Can you provide some details on the Laguardia pictures? Who took them and when? I ask because they’ve been passed around Twitter with claims they are real or a hoax, so hard to tell without knowing the background.

Thanks
    Josh

• Posted by 2251 Wall St » These Two Pictures Show Why You Will Not Be Landing At Laguardia Tomorrow on October 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm

[...] JetBlue has posted two pictures to its blog showing exactly why you will not be landing at Laguardia [...]

• Posted by Pics: New York area airports flooded with water, especially LGA - Skift on October 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

[...] (via JetBlue’s blog) [...]

• Posted by Judy on October 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for all this good info – Looking forward to hearing confirmation on our flight tomorrow afternoon from Logan to SFO. So far looks good on your website – how much notice do you think we’ll get as we would need to leave Maine by 9:00 a.m. to make our 4:20 flight in Boston.

• Posted by R A Li on October 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

“The storm has passed, why can’t you fly?”

Because the FAA won’t let us bolt pontoons to bottoms of our planes.

• Posted by PICS: LaGuardia Airport Suffered Some Serious Flooding, JetBlue Reports on October 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

[...] from JetBlue on its blog: We’re expecting to bring partial operations back to Washington D.C. and Boston later today, as [...]

• Posted by BELINDA @ PEI on October 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

One more reason why I want to work with Jet Blue. Ya’ll are awesome!

• Posted by Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? - Page 11404 - Airline Pilot Central Forums on October 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

[...] [...]

• Posted by Dorothy Manning on October 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm

We love you Jet Blue. We are scheduled to fly out of Tampa tomorrow 10/31 to catch flt to Ireland with Aer Lingus. Booking was made in Ireland, their web site says they are scheduled to fly. Help!!!

• Posted by 26.10.12: Hurricane Sandy - Höllischer Todessturm bedroht Ostküste - Seite 13 on October 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

[...] Zitat von A340_600 LGA Kein Wunder dass der noch zu ist und noch mehr Fotos aus LGA: BlueTales » JetBlue [...]

• Posted by Sandy Batters the Northeast: Live Updates on the Superstorm | TIME.com on October 30, 2012 at 4:05 pm

[...] tweeted this harrowing photo Tuesday of flooding at LaGuardia (and posted other unbelievable photos on its blog). 10/30 update: Recovering from Hurricane #Sandy bit.ly/W2JTT8 http://t.co/VDoRgC5q— JetBlue [...]

• Posted by Jack on October 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You guys should really consider a call back system. Calling JetBlue right now ends with you guys hanging up on me and telling me to try again later. It would be nice if I could leave a call back number for you to reach me at when one of your operators frees up.

• Posted by Carole on October 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm

How many times have we seen waves on an airport’s tarmac? Perhaps you should change the phrase “fee waivers” to “fee wavers”.

• Posted by Sandy Batters the Northeast: Live Updates on the Superstorm | Egypt on October 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

[...] Oct. 30, 3:40 p.m.: All three major airports in the New York area remain closed, with officials from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey still assessing damage. All airports reported flooding and debris on runways, but LaGuardia Airport, right on Flushing Bay and fed by both the East River and the Long Island Sound, is perhaps among the worst off. JetBlue tweeted this harrowing photo Tuesday of flooding at LaGuardia (and posted other unbelievable photos on its blog). [...]

• Posted by Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit | Autopia | Egypt on October 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

[...] Andrew Cuomo saying that LaGuardia won’t be reopening on Wednesday due to extensive damage. And based on the amount of water on the runway at JFK, it’s doubtful that flights will resume tomorrow, as previously [...]

• Posted by Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit | Krantenkoppen Tech on October 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Hi Josh,

All of the current images posted on BlueTales are verified. We did have one posted earlier (now making rounds in social media) that we believed was from one of our crewmembers at LGA, but we’re learning that might not be true. Sorry for any confusion!

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Still keeping our eyes on EWR to see when infrastructure will be ready for us to operate. You can check your flight status at jetblue.com

• Posted by Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit | Streaming Media Hosting on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

• Posted by Jack on October 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Why is it that JetBlue is unable to inform its customers of cancelations? You guys have email address and know which flights are being canceled, but you force the customer to constantly check the flight status in order to determine whether or not they will be able to travel. Perhaps you guys should consider using technology more efficiently. I am told that Delta already has the call back system I described in my previous comment. I am generally pretty happy with JetBlue, but I must say I’m largely disappointed by the way this is being handled.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Hi Jack,

We are reaching out to customers whose flights have been cancelled. Please email us at corpcomm@jetblue.com with your flight information and I’d be happy to pass it along to our team to assist.

• Posted by Hurricane Sandy: Instagram Sees Staggering 10 Photos Per Second During Storm on October 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm

[...] BlueTales » JetBlue » Recovering from Hurricane Sandy [...]

• Posted by Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit » TakeAwayPoint | TakeAwayPoint on October 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

[...] Cuomo saying that LaGuardia won’t be reopening on Wednesday due to extensive damage. And based on the amount of water on the runway at JFK, it’s doubtful that flights will resume tomorrow, as previously thought.Over 15,000 flights [...]

• Posted by RBG on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm

This is nightmare, called Jet Blue this morning, to change my flight from charlotte to new york, been on hold for over 2 hours, this is insane!!!!!!

Jet Blue why can’t you send us to another city close to new york?

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

We appreciate your patience and will work with you to get you rebooked. I’ll pass your information along to our team for assistance.

• Posted by Beatrice Shields on October 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Please leave an alert for me re my flight #717 leaving from JFk on Sat Nov 3 going to San Juan,puerto Rico. If you think it might be cancelled I could leave from Philadelphia or BWI instead. Thank you.
    Leonard Goldsmith
    Beashields@verizon.net

• Posted by Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit - Resurrectedrestorations.com on October 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm

• Posted by Jack on October 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I actually did eventually get an email from JetBlue informing me that my flight was canceled, so I guess it was just a delayed email.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hi Beatrice. You should be OK on Sat. but we’ll get in touch should that change.

• Posted by Colorado! | gretchen says on October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

[...] blog post from Jetblue is making me sweat, a little. I have some friends with friends in high places that think [...]

• Posted by notlovingsandy on October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm

flying from PBI to LGA friday night just for the weekend–think it’s going to be a go? Can’t get through to talk to anyone. Also if my flight is a go will I be bumped for all the other ppl whose flights have been canceled?

• Posted by Mary on October 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Do you think we will be able to fly out of JFK on Friday, 11/2 to PLS????

• Posted by Hurricane Sandy Tips from Twitter | | The Tripping BlogThe Tripping Blog on October 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

[...] link includes complete details on the effects of Hurricane Sandy on JetBlue flights.   For flights into and out of certain airports, Jet Blue is offering fee waivers for changes or [...]

• Posted by JetBlue on October 30, 2012 at 9:29 pm

We hope so Mary! We’re looking at a majority return to normal operations by Friday into Saturday, but stay tuned for updates. We’ll notify you if your flight status changes.

• Posted by Real Estate in the Real World | Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit on October 31, 2012 at 1:34 am

• Posted by Robert on October 31, 2012 at 5:24 am

Flights and aviation has always been a matter of interest for many human beings from the beginning of time and in this respect the aviation consulting comes to a great help, The airline consulting can provide you with sufficient help and assistance regarding the aviation and flights.

• Posted by Linda on October 31, 2012 at 8:28 am

Flying out of BOS to JFK then JFK to PUJ on Monday 11/5. Not many flight options to this destination normally, so starting panic a little. I saw JetBlue offering refunds etc for flights in/out of JFK through 11/4. does this mean that all flights have been cancelled up to then? Only one day shy and wondering if now is the time to TRY and find another alternative even this far out — rather than just sitting back and waiting.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi Linda,

The rebooking window is for customers who were scheduled to fly during the hurricane to change their flight up to Nov. 14. You should be OK for Monday but check back here and on jetblue.com as we get closer.

• Posted by wayne m on October 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

can you give me an idea whether I should cancel my jet blue flight due to leave on Sat nov3. I can get a flight to my destination-puerto rico tomorrow but dont want to lose my money for my sat flight. cannot afford to lose my money but if I wait past tomorrow I would lose my Thurs option.

• Posted by wayne m on October 31, 2012 at 8:41 am

My flight is out of newark airport for sat nov 3 to puerto rico. I can fly out on another carrier tomorrow nov 1, and cancel my jet blue flight on Sat nov 3, but don’t want to lose my money. should I keep my jet blue flight on Sat from Newark
    to Puerto Rico, or cancel and fly on Thurs?

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hi Wayne,

We’re looking to resume limited service out of EWR tomorrow, so not sure about your specific flight for Sat. but you can check the status of your flight as we get closer at jetblue.com.

• Posted by wayne m on October 31, 2012 at 9:29 am

Can someone tell me what the projections are for Saurday flights from newark on Jet Blue??

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

We’ll have some operations running, but too early to tell if we’ll have full service. Appreciate your patience as we all work together to dig out of this big storm!

• Posted by wayne m on October 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

Can I cancel a flight out of Newark for Sat nov 3 to puerto rico and not lose my money based on your hurricane policy??

• Posted by Live Updates: Sandy’s Aftermath – شبكة النيل الإخبارية on October 31, 2012 at 9:46 am

[...] this harrowing print Tuesday of flooding during LaGuardia (and posted other unimaginable photos on a blog). 10/30 update: Recovering from Hurricane #Sandy bit.ly/W2JTT8 [...]

• Posted by Alexandra White - Designing Lightning on October 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

[...] cancelled yesterday by 4:30PM, when they decided not to reopen it due to massive flooding. JetBlue eased the pain by writing a blog about the situation and sharing a few [...]

• Posted by sarah brown on October 31, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hi,

I see that some flights(Delta, American) are departing from the west coast today and flying to JFK, arriving on Oct 31st. It also shows that the Jetblue 942 flight from Sea to JFK tonight is already canceled. Is there any indication that the same flight on Nov 1st(arriving at JFK on Nov 2) will also be canceled? I am on this flight and will try to make other arrangements if I am told this Nov 1st red eye will also be canceled.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hi Sarah,

No indication at this time, but please check your flight status as we get closer. Please note that you will be contacted if your flight is cancelled.

• Posted by Karl on October 31, 2012 at 10:14 am

JFK 6 am tomorrow to Orlando
    any ideas?
    When will it be cancelled if it is?
    Should we start driving to FL now?

• Posted by Mary Paulson on October 31, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m scheduled to fly from Cancun to JFK on Thursday morning. My flight status says on time but given everything I’ve read about conditions at JFK that seems unlikely. Is it really possible that my flight is as scheduled? I’d like to know because if its not I will have to find someplace to stay here in Mexico for another day or two and I’d like to have some kind of heads up.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hi Mary,

We’ll contact you if your flight is cancelled, but the flight status is the way to go to check on your flight.

• Posted by wayne m on October 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

I have a cruise leaving from Puerto Rico on Nov 4. I have a jet blue flight to Puerto rico for Sat nov 3. Jet blue is not sure my flight will not be cancelled. Can I cancel my Nov 3 flight and get a refund under the hurricane policy?? I have another option for Thurs nov 1 so I need an answer please. Thanks wm

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 11:03 am

We’ve passed your information along to our customer support team, best suited to assist you.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hi Karl,

Please check your flight status on jetblue.com.

• Posted by JC decaux | Sandy Cripples East Coast Transit on October 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm

• Posted by Karen in FLA on October 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Any info on airport changes for LGA flights? My friend was scheduled on flight #361 LGA to West Palm, 11/1/12. Flight status today shows that flight # leaving from JFK.
    She has no power and bad cell service so no way for JB to contact her. I’m relaying from FLA.

• Posted by Justin on October 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I would like to change my flight in and out of New York, and called JetBlue’s main telephone number (1-800-JETBLUE) and was given a recording that they were experiencing very long hold times. But I wasn’t given a chance to hold (even though I am willing to wait a long time), and a recording told me to call back before hanging up. I have now called back many times.

I went online (to book.jetblue.com) and tried to change my flights using “Manage My Flight” but there was no place to enter in the Fee Waiver for Hurricane Sandy using the GDS waiver code (WXB6YOGA12). I do not wish to pay more than $350 to change a flight because I cannot find out where to enter the hurricane waiver.

Am I missing something? How do I change my flight!?!?!?!

Thank you for answering this question for all of us.

Regards,
    Justin

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 4:08 pm

You can rebook by calling our customer support team at 1-800-JETBLUE. I’ve also passed your note along to the team for handling.

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Our customer support team at 1-800-JETBLUE is best suited to assist. I’ve passed this note along to them for handling.

• Posted by Mary Paulson on October 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm

How far in advance of a scheduled flight will we know if it’s been cancelled or not? I’m concerned that I will get to the airport tomorrow only to find out my flight has been cancelled.

• Posted by Travel and Transit Service Slowly Return to New York - Forbes on October 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm

[...] website will update the airport’s status as more information becomes available. JetBlue has more details about the challenges at LaGuardia at its [...]

• Posted by JetBlue on October 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Hi Mary,

You would have been contacted in advance if your flight was cancelled. You can check your flight status at jetblue.com.

• Posted by Glenn on October 31, 2012 at 11:46 pm

when will you resume service out of lga ?

• Posted by hurricane proof windows on November 1, 2012 at 4:01 am

Thanks for this link to know about flight cancelled or not…Now i can easily check my flight status whether cancelled or not…

• Posted by JetBlue on November 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

Tomorrow Glenn!

• Posted by Joan P. Williams on November 2, 2012 at 2:24 am

I have reservations to fly to JFK on Friday, Nov. 9th. However the event I was going to attend has been cancelled and rescheduled for the 3rd Friday in January. Will I have to pay a change fee to reschedule. Thank you.
    Joni Williams

• Posted by BlueTales » JetBlue » Recovering from Hurricane Sandy | Internet blog on November 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

[...] here to read the rest: BlueTales » JetBlue » Recovering from Hurricane Sandy Bookmark to: This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged causing-devastation, [...]

• Posted by Tom Link on November 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Just like Justin above I need to cancel my reservation due to the hurricane, but I don’t see a way to enter the GDS waiver code. I see a nice orange button to Cancel and the price summary says I need to pay a cancellation fee. How do I enter the GDS waiver code?

• Posted by Tom Link on November 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I am currently on hold, but I’ll use the web if I find out how to enter the waiver code.

• Posted by Tom Link on November 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Got taken care of on the phone. No answer required here now.

• Posted by Ben on November 3, 2012 at 5:27 am

This is what Schiphol, Amsterdam airport would look like if the Netherlands wouldn’t have protection from the sea. Dutch engineers would be happy to help the USA ! We have about 6 centuries of experience !

• Posted by Ashleigh on December 24, 2012 at 2:59 am

Keep on working, great job!