March 30, 2012

Update on Flight 191

On behalf of the Crew of Flight 191, we would like to express our appreciation for the public’s kind words and well wishes for the crew.  We understand and appreciate everyone’s desire to hear directly from the crew regarding their experience, but they have decided to decline all media opportunities at this time in order to spend time with their families.

Please leave your comments for our customers and crew here.

Posted by in Uncategorized | Permalink | 17 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

17 Comments on “Update on Flight 191”

• Posted by John on March 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm

This pilot is a wack job

• Posted by Fear of Landing » JetBlue Captain Break Down on March 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

[...] BlueTales » JetBlue » Update on Flight 191 On behalf of the Crew of Flight 191, we would like to express our appreciation for the public’s kind words and well wishes for the crew. We understand and appreciate everyone’s desire to hear directly from the crew regarding their experience, but they have decided to decline all media opportunities at this time in order to spend time with their families. [...]

• Posted by Chicago Getaways on March 31, 2012 at 11:28 am

Just watched the video on the You Tube.. Hope everything is all right now.. I still trust Jet Blue and always go traveling with Jet Blue.. Hope you could solve everything happen in your institution right now..

• Posted by Ronald R on March 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Jet Blue is the Best Airline and co pilot Dowd should be commended highly for getting Flight 191 to safety.
    The crew acted quickly and knew what to do .
    That is what makes Jet Blue a winner.
    Ronald R

• Posted by Ken on March 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I commend the crew for their response and desire to keep what appears to have been a mental health emergency private. Living with a mental illness or having affected friends and family is a large burden to bare. It is wonderful that a personal emergency did not end up tragedy for a community.

Job well done!

• Posted by zimmy zimmerman on March 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Jetblue is a disgusting airline. The flight crews are unprofessional and clearly not up to the same standards as most others in the industry.

Yes they are cheap fares but is it worth your life? I think not.

• Posted by Sam I Am on March 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Here’s my comment. Who cares? No one cares about the flight crew and this nothing of an “indecent” Comparisons to the Hudson landing? Ludicrous!!!! You people need to get back to work and stop grandstanding.

• Posted by Sam I Am on March 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm

PS. Just because my comment is negative does not me it should not be published. You want the truth? You cant handle the truth!!!

• Posted by David on March 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Sounds like someone drugged the guy. You know – slipped him a “micky”.
    Lot’s of people jumping to a lot of conclusions – media fueled of course !
    Sounds very out of character for the gentleman from what I’ve heard.
    Such a strong reaction like that sounds like LSD or some form of halucinagenic.
    Better make your own coffee next time buddy, wow…

• Posted by Ccoder on March 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Not just Jet Blue, crews from airlines are always in very stressful working condition. Their pay are not very much. Since after 9/11 , I rarely fly except going to other country for my job,other than that, I prefer to drive.

Poor captain, Good incident handling by co-pilot and lucky to have off duty captain on board. Is that coincident ?

• Posted by CC Hill on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Dear Crew of Flight 191,

I just want to tell you that I love JetBlue, and it’s because of you all. I’ve been booking air travel for 30 years, and have flown ‘em all. Who do I fly now ~ JetBlue.

Please let me apologize for the rude and misinformed who have littered this blog. They have no idea that what Mr Dowd did was completely brilliant. The Captain’s word is law, and this brave man not only saved his passengers, but risked his hard-earned job doing so. I’d fly with any of you, anytime and be honored doing so.

Fly carefully, and keep that angel on your shoulder.

• Posted by MAO on March 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm

A seasoned airman is fighting for his freedom, his career and possiby his sanity. No one KNOWS what happened and it is very possible that the Captain was compromised unknowingly.
    I hope that the FAA & the FBI reconsider their possible actions against this man and I hope beyond all that Jet Blue Mgt. had the brains to pull the CVR…it might be on a loop but the NTSB can and has in the past retrieved data that has been deeply embedded.
    The worst case is this man had a mental breakdown, if that is in fact the truth then we as human beings must support treatment, not emergency revocations, suspensions and/or incarceration and the mound of legal bills that go along with all of those “punishments”…suspend the man’s medical if warranted and Jet Blue, pick up the tab for this loyal employee, he has a mountain to climb regardless of what really happened.
    He and his family have my support and for goodness sake, can we STOP throwing the title “hero” around? Airmen are paid to fly, there is nothing heroic about that.
    God speed

• Posted by Kim on March 31, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Nothing is certain in this life – I wish other people who post negative things would refrain. The crew did a fabulous job and deserve quiet time with their families. I will fly JetBlue any day of the week (and twice on Sunday). JetBlue is handling this incident with the professionalism, privacy and dignity that has become their standard. It’s only fair that we respect the crew and the company.

• Posted by John on March 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Though I have never flown with Jetblue, I commend the co-pilot of the flight! This just shows the training and safety procedures that your company puts in place!

• Posted by A reader on March 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Quite unsettling your captain (allegedly) suffers from serious mental illness! Just say HIPAA, then screen more diligently! Please.

• Posted by Thomas Jefferson on March 31, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I don’t understand why the captain isn’t in jail and barred from airlines for life. If any of us regular Joes had done what he did, would we be out and about?

• Posted by Tim Rollins - Oklahoma City on April 1, 2012 at 4:44 am

Most of the other posters here with the negative posts are imbeciles who have no business making posts they know nothing about, let alone pronouncing their own names.

The co-pilot did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do, getting the plane down safely as soon as he could. The retired corrections officer (6’4”; 300 pounds) was exactly what was needed at the time he was there for;; luckily, there was an off-duty and fully qualified captain on board as a passenger who was able to step up and assist as needed to complete the two-man requirement for a complete cockpit crew.

For all these armchair pontificators: The captain—who appeared to have a mental crisis/meltdown of some kind—needs to be treated with compassion and if he is going to be judged, MUST be judged by the totality of his life and by no other standard.

To do otherwise is not only reckless, it is criminal, and a deprivation of his fifth, sixth and ninth amendment rights. The man needs treatment, as well as the compassion, support and love of his family and friends, especially givent hat he had an impeccable record before this incident.

Last but not least, keep this in mind, boys and girls” That here but for the grace of God goes any one of us. ***