October 31, 2011

A Note From Our COO

“Hi, my name is Rob Maruster and I’m the Chief Operating Officer of JetBlue and I’m coming to you from our System Operations Control Center here in Forest Hills, New York. As many of you now know, JetBlue had six flights divert to Hartford, Connecticut over the weekend, due to various runway congestion and other operational issues at Newark and JFK airports and we did not deplane those aircraft in our target time allotted. At no point in this weekend was safety ever compromised in any of our decision-making, whether it was our customers or our crewmembers and in fact, safety was their number one concern. But let’s face it – at JetBlue you count on us for a lot more, and we promise a lot more, and we know we let some of you down over the course of this weekend and for that we are truly sorry. Going forward we plan to fully participate with the Department of Transportation in cooperating with their investigation into the events over the weekend and we’re also going to conduct an internal evaluation so that we can learn from this event – because at the end of the day you deserve better and we expect better from our crewmembers and our operation. We can only earn your loyalty and trust one flight at a time and we ask you to give us a second chance. Thank you.”

Posted by in Videos | Permalink | 122 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

122 Comments on “A Note From Our COO”

• Posted by Ramon on October 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I have always been extremely grateful of the service provided by JBU and in particular it’s employees (especially the flight staff) As with members of my family, we continue to support and will ride JetBlue in the foreseeable future.

Yes no one is perfect, though even as a company one strives to be but the inaction of a few do not reflect back on a highly reputable company as yours. Continued success in years ahead JBU! :)

~Ramon
    Bronx, NYC
    @EmpireCityRay

• Posted by Wayne Dayton on October 31, 2011 at 7:55 pm

The only correct response would be to publicly offer these aggrieved pax a full refund plus a free r/t at a future date…”studies” and “investigations” are fine but are not enough,

• Posted by rob on October 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm

This is a systemic problem that Jetblue has been ignoring for too long now. Having been on a flight a few months ago that was out 3 hours and returned to the gate, but REFUSED passengers the option to deplane (and then being blown off by both Customer Service and the above COO when following up), I know all too well the Jetblue M.O.. Unfortunately, now hundreds of others do as well and will learn all too soon how Jetblue will blow this off too…

They will deny any responsibility and find a loophole to says that they shouldn’t pay the fine or be reprimanded. Then , this will get swept under the rug until next time it is 12 planes full of passengers that Jetblue will show their lack of caring for.

So sad.
    Remember when Jetblue was an industry leader in Customer service?

• Posted by Mike Blumenfeld on October 31, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This is wrong. I was a passenger on Flight 504 and passenger safety and health was clearly NOT a concern of JetBlue. I witnessed firsthand a diabetic being taken care of by a fellow passenger, not the crew. I personally needed medicine but was denied the opportunity to procure any because I was incarcerated. I am disappointed in this video because it is not truthful, perpetuating a traumatic experience. I (and my fellow passengers) are waiting to hear what really happened behind the scenes. We will continue to speak to the media, politicians, and possibly attorneys if we can not get the truth.

• Posted by Christopher Budd on October 31, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Definitely a better response than you had yesterday. I won’t take credit, but you definitely hit the points I outlined in my posting today (http://bit.ly/twbSaL) that I linked to under your other post.

You’re definitely on the right track and I hope you’re able to continue on this better path.

• Posted by anon on November 1, 2011 at 3:09 am

An apology- that’s it? Come on now, those passengers deserve much more than that. Better yet, let’s lock you on a plane with no food/water and screaming kids for 7 hours!

• Posted by viann ballentine on November 1, 2011 at 9:03 am

I was on flt 1088 then on flt 8124 which I understand was the same captain and crew they all deserve credit for being very professional until the media involved I as a passenger aboard had no idea he was as fustrated as we were. He sure kept his fustrations on the otherside of the cockpit door. The media sure can destroy a company…I will give you all a second chance….I also own a Hairsalon I shall say nothing but the kindest words with my experience on board the stranded flight I boarded at approximately 10 am and got off at approximately 9:30 pm….oh and thank goodness McDonald’s was willing to stay open until all passengers were fed….They need to be recognized for that act of kindness..Regards and Goodluck ….Viann Ballentine

• Posted by MC Ware on November 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

This emphasis on this flight makes me furious – we were on fl 69 from Syracuse to JFK – diverted to Hartford – pilot and crew were great..however NO ONE WOULD LET US get off -we were on the plane from 11:30AM until 7PM — and in Hartford no one knew what was going on — no hotel, no food coupons…no help…Jet blue has a big black eye…and no one is even talking about taking care of us on Fl 69 — I personally know a number of people who were ill — and some who missed cruises…what’s with Jet Blue — reimburse us…!!!

• Posted by MC Ware on November 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

• Posted by Sara on November 1, 2011 at 11:12 am

The Department of Transportation’s new passenger protection rules allow the government to fine airlines up to $27,500 per passenger if passengers sit aboard a plane on the ground for more than three hours.

And after two hours, airlines must provide food and water, operable toilets and medical attention if necessary, according to the new rules.

(April 2010)

• Posted by Thomas on November 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

Actions speak louder than words & this never should have happened considering jetBlue’s history in these types of situations. I fly your airline frequently, and as a disabled veteran, usually need some assistance. Nothing major, just a minor accommodation from time to time, and yet half the time, at least, I run into issues. The issues always seem to relate to jetBlue valuing making an extra dollar or two through their fees, rather than customer needs. Certain employees treat passengers with something far less than the bare minimum as far as respect. Not every passenger is a nuisance, nor should every customer be treated as one just because an employee is having a bad day. Customer Service flows down from the top & right now the very top level at jetBlue has no real idea as to what kind of service is on their planes. Running fare sales & apology videos are fine, but how about getting some real, tangible input from passengers and using that to improve the experience. If not, then you’re just like every other airline…& that’s not good.

• Posted by Julie on November 1, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have but one question. Why is only jet Blue being blamed for this event.
    It seems to me from the news reports that because the airport had no power, they were not able to get the jetways working or communication with the grounds crews. Does it always have to be blamed on the airlines? While I believe that the passengers should have been given whatever food or beverages were available on the plane, I don’t think you can totally blame the airline for the non working toilets as it is my understanding that if the plane is not running neither are the toilets. Being trapped is a terrible feeling, but blaming an entire company for a weather disaster is not fair. I like Jet Blue and will continue to travel with them.

• Posted by Robert on November 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

Nothing explains what went wrong. Wasnt Jet Blue headquarters aware of this situation. Did the crew communicate with their headquarters what was going on? What was done at the time? People in headquarters were obviously aware that a plane was sitting on the ground. Did anyone check on the status of the plane on the ground? There was no way to move equipment and get people off? None of this makes any sense and all point to tremendous operational mistakes. People should be accountable for their actions or lack of action.

• Posted by Dawn walton on November 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

To add to Rob’s statement, Jetblue, the company has lost all sense of caring about its passengers. It sounds like the captain tried his best to get assistance for the passengers, but as a company, you did not learn from the Valentine’s Day mess in 2007. I used to take at least two R/T flights with your airline every month, but due to your poor customer service, I’m exercising my right to choose better service. You lost me as a loyal customer and will lose many more.

• Posted by Mike on November 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Ok. I have read and heard a lot of things regarding the events of Saturday, October 29th, and Flt 504. Some things are true, some are definitely being exaggerated. I completely understand the frustration that all the passengers had, since I was on Flt 504 myself and continue to be very angry about the events that transpired. However, I feel like some things need to be clarified. The flight crew were VERY GREAT in everything they did during the 7 1/2 hours we were on the plane after landing at Bradley International. They did everything they could to try to keep people calm, give everyone the opportunity to stand up and walk around, and even tried to entertain small children. They did try to make safety their biggest concern. Please don’t get me wrong, I am not defending JetBlue as a company, nor am I defending Bradley International airport. A LOT Of things were done wrong and without the passengers in mind in my opinion. Things were very disorganized, including after we got off the plane and were stuck in the airport terminal. BUT……..I give kudos to the crew. I was in one of the front rows of the plane, and I personally heard the captain and flight attendant staff expressing their concerns for everyone. They NEVER tried to make any excuses for JetBlue or for the airport. They were kept out of the loop just as much as the passengers on why we were not allowed off the plane. They simply relayed messages that they received. That is why we kept hearing “In about 45 minutes…..”, “In about an hour……” “We should be getting refueled and de-iced…………”, etc.
    When it came to the safety and comfort of the passengers, the flight attendants went way above what could have been asked of them. The diabetic on board that was having some issues was my wife. The pilot immediately pleaded with someone to help get us all of the plane. He apparently got no help. The flight attendants brought my wife orange juice and cookies to try to help her feel better. I just thank God that she was not in a major crisis since nobody except the crew on board took anything serious, and unfortunately there wasn’t much that they could do with their limited resources on the plane.
    As for the reports that there was no water or food or restrooms for 7 hours….not accurate. The crew started handing out bottled water and chips to anyone that wanted them, and continued to do so throughout the majority of the ordeal. People were allowed to use the lavatory as much as they needed. I myself had no problem with the lavatory functioning properly (and that was about 5 hours into the ordeal). They did make an announcement around 7:00pm or so that the plane no longer had water for the lavatory….it was only the last 1 1/2 – 2 hours that we had no restroom facility. However, I know for a fact they still had beverages because it was around 7:30 that my wife was given the orange juice.
    Another example of the crew trying their best to make the best of a horrible situation was in the case of a little girl who was having her 10th birthday on Saturday. The flight attendants brought the little girl and another little girl to th front of the plane and had the entire plane sing Happy Birthday to her. They also searched in their galley to try to find anything they could to give the little girl as a birthday present. I watched them give her and the other little girl protective masks and try to decorate them so they could be fun for the children. The 2 little girls were also made “flight attendants for the day” and were seen walking up and down the aisle offering water or chips to the passengers. I’m sure they hated being on the plane as much as adults, but they seem to be enjoying playing “flight attendant”.
    There was another passenger that suffered some anxiety and claustrophobia. The flight attendants allowed that passenger to move to a seat that is supposed to be for flight attendants only so she was not so enclosed around a lot of people, and they spent some time trying to talk to her and help her relax.
    When the young man that was a paraplegic need assistance early on to use the bathroom, one of the flight attendants took blankets to hold over him to give him as much privacy as possible since he was unable to get out of his seat. Later when he began having more problems after sitting in one position so long, one of the flight attendants helped get him positioned into a laying position and stayed with him until the firefighter/EMT’s came on board shortly afterward.
    As I said, I am not defending any actions taken by the company of JetBlue or Bradley International airport. Neither of them seem to be doing much to help any of us on the plane. However, the flight crew was wonderful. No matter anyone’s opinion, anger or disgust for being on the plane that long, we all need to be honest about the wonderful job the crew itself did in such a horrible situation.

• Posted by Gene on November 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

This is what you said that morning:

@JetBlueCOO
    Rob Maruster

Despite calls for doom, we’re planning to operate a full schedule today. Expect delays this evening as rain turns to snow in NE.

29 Oct via Twitter for BlackBerry®

-> If you fail to plan you plan to fail.

• Posted by JetBlue on November 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for your comment Robert. We are conducting our own thorough internal investigation and we will be proactively supporting any Department of Transportation investigations to accurately confirm exactly what happened and when. Until those details are fully fact-checked, we’re unable to share them publicly. We want to ensure that any information we’re putting out there is 100% correct, fair to all agencies involved in the investigation, and responsible to the events that unfolded and those who were affected.

We will continue to keep you updated as results of our investigations become available.

• Posted by Michael on November 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Your words say one thing and your facial expressions say different.

Your video is not one of true honest sincerity

• Posted by JetBlue in Crisis Mode | leahcrusan on November 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

[...] COO Rob Maruster apologizes – On October 31, JetBlue’s blog featured a video apology from Maruster explaining the circumstances and asking for a second chance. Check out the video and comments here. [...]

• Posted by Scott on November 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm

The FAA needs to fine you to the fullest extent of $27,500 per passenger for each and every flight where passenger where held against there will in an airplane.

Next time, passengers should call 911 and report they are being held against their will.

Jet Blue, you should have learned from the last incident.

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | on November 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

[...] the video, Rob Maruster, the company’s chief operating officer, said that the flights were diverted to [...]

• Posted by Nate on November 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm

As a very loyal Jetblue customer over the past 6 years, I have seen JetBlue go from the exception to the norm, in the airline industry for customer service. It’s just like anything in life, if you allow little mistakes to keep happening, eventually they grow into big ones… this was the perfect storm. When you hear the pilot say on the voice recorder that his own company isn’t helping them at all, it makes you wonder…Why weren’t they helping? Because most of the Jetblue crew at that airport – as well as many of the Bradley airport ground crews, customs, gate crews, etc – were all sent home early due to the weather and new crews couldn’t get in. That’s the facts – but they will not admit it. Bradley is AS MUCH responsible for this – if not more – as Jetblue. 23 total planes were diverted AND ACCEPTED by Bradley – which is an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. Why accept 23 flights if you have minimal crews? Why send crews home if you are an international airport and this may and often does happen? Fine Jetblue? Then fine the airport…. oh wait we can’t because they weaseled their way out of the Passenger Bills of Rights. SHAME!

• Posted by Robert on November 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

If you need a good operations person, let me know. I would have had procedures in place and there would have been a successful response.

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | Health Tourism Today on November 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

• Posted by Michael H on November 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

One step in the right direction but why post this to your blog?? With the substantial media pickup on this story, you need to think beyond those impacted (although, they are and remain your top priority in making any reprimands). Be bold, brave and responsible and post this video on the corp home page (jetblue.com). Granted, it won’t resolve everything, but the fact that you’re only posting it on the blog sends even more mix messages (ie, the general public need to hear/see your reaction…don’t make it even more of a challenge for them).

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | Solo Cruises on November 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

[...] a video, Rob Maruster, a company’s arch handling officer, pronounced that a flights were diverted to [...]

• Posted by lauren on November 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

It’s amazing how powerful body language is. You can actually see him smirking when he apologizes. This is even more disrespectful than their meager attempt to rectify the situation. Each passenger should receive full extent of the fines & maybe, just maybe JetBlue will learn from this situation.

ps. JetBlue…you may want to stop putting your COO on video if he can’t keep a straight face while apologizing for a horrible situation

• Posted by Peter Dubno on November 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Our Jet Blue Flight 139 from Buffalo, NY to JFK was diverted to Hartford’s Bradley Airport on Oct 29, 2011. We were only 3 miles from touchdown at JFK when we got diverted. Our pilot and captain, Lars Wallen, was terrific. He made a safe and smooth landing at snow filled Bradley and kept us informed as to the progress of getting to a gate or taking off again. His hands were tied by red tape and various permissions he needed to get us into a gate, which he did after 3 hours and 20 minutes on a snow-filled runway. He is to be commended along with his fantastic crew who made a trying situation as comfortable as they could. They are very special people.

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | Travel Globe on November 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | Trips 2 Florida on November 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

• Posted by Matt on November 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Under no circumstance will I, my business, or my family ever fly JetBlue again. Maruster is a joke. Your policies are a joke. Your pilots are your only saving grace. My guess is you would have fired him if he found a way to get them off that plane. Take your golden parachute now, you clown.

• Posted by John on November 1, 2011 at 6:04 pm

To the people bashing jetBlue, what was the correct course of action?

Sara: All the rule has done is caused more cancelled flights.

Would you rather the flight have been cancelled?

Scott:
    Where do you want jetBlue to dump passengers? In some cases a gate is not available and neither is ground handling equipment. What should an airline do then? Airlines are often at the mercy of ATC(read FAA/DOT), airports, and the weather.

To the peanut gallery:

What about the Air France plane? How should Air France have deplaned its aircraft without customs access?

What benefit could jetBlue possibly get for keeping you on the plane for an extended period of time? I will bet that it doesn’t save them a single dime.

The truth of the matter is that life happens and often times you have no control over the situation. The airline wasn’t the problem here, the weather was, and people need to grow up…

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes for stranded flights | Happy Travel Spot on November 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm

• Posted by Diane on November 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I think you really missed an opportunity to regain your passengers faith in JetBlue with this message. COO should have owned up to the seriousness of these delays and should have done more to have Bradley or other airports disembark passengers safely. When you see the videos and hear the recordings of the pilots on the plane it is obvious how desparate this situation had become. Rob Maruster should not have conveyed his message so lightly and he did not demonstrate empathy for the passengers and crew involved. I’m sure the message was prepared by PR or Marketing but when communicated by one of JetBlue’s chief officers responsible for our safety it definitely diminishes confidence. While I was not on these flights, I am a frequest flyer on JetBlue and the actions or lack there of this weekend greatly concern me with future travel due to the nonchalant approach to this situation.

• Posted by Ray Fallon on November 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Like so many of my reactions to blogs I don’t know if I’m more sad about the event or about the reactions of some of my fellow bloggers. I’m glad that Rob followed in David’s tradition of apologizing to our customers at large. As to the blogger who found insincerity in his appearance, you should be working for the FBI or Interpol, not wasting your time here. I’m taking the message at face value. For whatever reason 7 of our 17 diversions chose the epicenter of the weather, an area still without power in most cases. We failed our customers for sure, but I don’t think that our crewmembers in BDL or FSC failed, rather that we didn’t have a structure that would prevent overloading such an exposed field with so many aircraft. Our apologies are sincere. We have to do better. Vitriol won’t get us there, nor will retribution. Only increased wisdom.

• Posted by Jeffrey on November 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I have worked for the airlines and I can say in defense of jetBlue (an excellent company) that it was the job of the Hartford airport to service those aircraft in the ‘emergency’ folks. This was a WEATHER EMERGENCY that caused these planes to be sent there. Now, they could have plowed to the rear service door to the plane, and hoisted food and water up to the passengers at the very least. And, this would be the job of the ‘host’ airport (hartford WILL charge the airlines that had flights diverted there a landing fee.) We should mention that there were United, American, Delta and US Airways flights diverted to Hartford that day as well. Why is so so convenient to harp on one company??? We must all have good facts (and face them) before we speak. Bless everyone that survived that day! Best regards, J

• Posted by Bill Simons on November 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

How hard could it have been to bring out a ramp truck and bus to get the people off the plane. There has to be more to this story.

• Posted by George on November 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm

My family and I were on flight 1013 that departed from Boston at approximately 11:30 AM bound for JFK. We too were diverted to Hartford arriving at approximately 1:00 PM and sat until able to de-plane sometime after 8:00 PM. Having seats at the front of the aircraft, I was able to observe many of the crews efforts to assist in comforting everyone onboard. In that regard, I cannot speak highly enough about the entire crew aboard our flight. I would especially like to thank the Captain (Brian) and fight attendent Victoria for all their efforts. I personally witnessed the Captain diffuse a potentially volitile situation with finess and care. Victoria literially spent hours trying to make flight arrangements for every passeneger with connecting flights in the hope we could get the JFK later that evening. Several Jet Blue employees on the flight that were not working, but aboard our flight, selflessly chipped in to assist and make passengers as comfortable as possible.

While I do not know who made the decision to divert to Hartford as opposed to Boston which had obviously better facilities, I can say that Hartford was not prepared to handle the situation. Once we were able to de-plane, no services or information was available. McDonalds did re-open after the gentleman operating the shuttle cart at the airport requested the manager to re-open. I assume he informed the manager that there were many hundreds of passengers still exiting flights who had not had a meal all day.

I don not know what the disconnect was between Jet Blue and Hartford operations but there was a serious disconnect.

While I could continue to write about my experience I must honestly say that EVERY employee of Jet Blue and the Hartford Staff that I encountered were doing everything in their power to do what they could do to make the best of a bad situation.

• Posted by Samir on November 1, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Samir

So let’s see. How many chances does Jet Blue need? I believe there have already been a few cases of locked-up passengers at JFK due to weather, probably not to mention the same scenario at other airports in the Northeast for the past couple of years. “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” (George Santayana). ‘Nuff said

P.S. Nice touch by hiding the text boxes to enter the required information needed to submit comments. I guess you really don’t want people submitting their comments?

• Posted by don young on November 1, 2011 at 9:39 pm

In your own words; “If you wouldn’t take it on the ground, don’t take it in the air” If a taxi driver held me hostage for 7 hours in his cab I would have him arrested and criminally prosecuted. What you did to those passengers was nothing short of a criminal act and you Mr. Maruster should be held criminally responsible and prosecuted. I will never fly Jet Blue again.

• Posted by Joe on November 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm

After listening to JetBlue’s apology from Mr. Maruster, I feel compelled to respond. I was on this flight sitting in seat 7A. From the time the plane stopped, we were approximately 100 yards from a gate. There were multiple (3, I believe) open gates visible on my side of the plane. Approximately 90 minutes after landing, a staircase was rolled up to the door, a ground crew member came up the stairs, opened the door, had a discussion with crew members, shut the door and removed the stairs. We were told we could not unload via that route as it was too dangerous. At this time it was only lightly snowing in relation to what would come. On two more occasions, a stairway was rolled up to the plane only to be removed. A little after 9:00, a stairway was again brought to the plane. A snow covered, metal staircase whose top step did not meet the cabin door floor. It was at this point we were allowed to leave the plane, climb down the snow covered stairway carrying our bags, across a snow covered tarmac to a waiting mini school bus, (a distance of about 20 yards) taken to gate 22, walked off the bus to another stairway which we climbed to reach the jetway which led us into the terminal. If this method of deplaning was unsafe at 3:00 in the afternoon, what made it safe at 9:00 at night after 6 more hours of snow? If this was going to be the ultimate solution, a lot of aggravation could have been saved by all parties by unloading the plane 6 hours earlier. While I agree with the earlier post by Mike with the great job the flight crew did through the whole ordeal, I am having second thoughts after hearing some of Capt Thompson’s conversations with ATC. What he was telling us on the plane was completely opposite his conversations with the tower.

• Posted by VM on November 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am reading all of the above, being almost thankful for only having been lied to continuously, and having a 3 hour delay…flight on Sunday from Ft Lauderdale to Newburgh…was diverted to White Plains because of “power outage” in Newburgh…while the FAA website showed plains landing there and everything was fully illuminated when we finally got there….
    One of the blogs below expressed it best: if you allow many little mistakes, they will turn into big ones.
    Jet Blue used to be above the crowd…now, I would say you made cost savings to be a much higher priority than customer service….and stupid lies? Really?

• Posted by WHA on November 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm

You are not asking for a second chance, but a third. Has JetBlue really forgotten the February 2007 strandings at Kennedy? I believe “never again” was your promise then.

As long as your explanations are without substance, so are your “apologies.”

If you truly tried to help these passenger, I would expect you to promptly would release a chronology of the efforts made by Jet Blue. Your claim that “Until those details are fully fact-checked, we’re unable to share them publicly” is silly – just add a disclaimer that these are preliminary findings and have not yet been double checked. Indeed, I suspect that this is a very short list composed of too little too late, so it should not take long to fact check.

As long as your explanations are without substance, so are your “apologies.”

• Posted by Jeff on November 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I agree that you should certainly be fined the full amount possible for the delay. there is absolutely no conceivable excuse why passengers can not be deplaned for 7 hours – why can’t you taxi close to a gate, deplane by stairs to buses?? You PROMISED this would never hapopen again and yet it happened again. Was the top brass at Jet Blue not aware of this problem and did they do nothing??? Unacceptable!

• Posted by sick of corporate crime on November 1, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Lets see Rob on a dark plane in a tiny seat for 8 hours with no food, no water, and backed up toliets-AFTER he has personally given full refunds and a free round trip to each and every passenger involved- maybe that would wipe the smirk off his face…..

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | on November 2, 2011 at 12:34 am

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes for stranded flights at Hartford airport | airport on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 am

• Posted by John on November 2, 2011 at 1:38 am

I will never fly Jet Blue ever nor ever fly to Bradley (of my own volition) .

• Posted by Chris Rothenberger on November 2, 2011 at 3:00 am

And I quote, “At no point in this weekend was safety ever compromised …..” Really?! So passengers with medical conditions are allowed to suffer in absence of medical care? Doesn’t sound like safety is of passengers is really what matters here. It sounds like the airline got caught yet again unprepared for… winter. Surprise! It happens every year!

• Posted by DavidZ on November 2, 2011 at 4:24 am

I know you guys did and are doing what you could. Perhaps you could also learn a thing or two from your fellow competitor Alaska Airlines, courtesy of Cranky:

Good luck to everyone, both JetBlue and the affected passengers.

• Posted by Bernard Rappoport on November 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

Heard the verbal beating that JetBlue took from the hosts of the Travel World Radio Show. This is a program that is heard by hundreds of thousands every week and with the sincerity and credibility of almost 15 years on the air. When you have lost the confidence of this media outlet, you might as well pack up and close down. They told us not to fly Mexicana, and look where they are now. They told us not to fly Northwest, and today they have meekly merged into Delta. OTH, the CEO of Air Canada listens to their input…the PR man for Lufthansa, your major shareholder, respects them…and I even dare note that Rob is “LinkedIn” with the host of said radio show, so, perhaps the time is right NOW to bring him aboard one of your flights and show him what you are doing RIGHT and come on the show and tell US, the listeners, what you are doing. Oh, and what is Frank Lorenzo doing these days….in all my years of flying on his Texas Air Corp units of Eastern and Continental, never heard or experienced anything like 2007 and 2011 on JetBlue. Frank was doing something right.

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes to stranded fliers | Travel News Online on November 2, 2011 at 8:23 am

• Posted by Jeff Schaengold on November 2, 2011 at 10:34 am

Mr. COO… Why don’t you give us your home number or your email ? When we’re sitting on one of JetBlue passenger planes, we have collectively 100 phones. If you are really interested in improving service, why don’t you let us call you, email you or text you after 60, 90, 120, 180, 240, 310 minutes of sitting in one of your planes without water and dirty bathrooms. Maybe if we called you, you would like to sit in one of those bathrooms after a few hours… “with us” .. not at your comfortable living room or in your clean control center in Queeens NY.

If you don’t want to hear from us.. there are plenty of companies in India that would love to pick up the phone when we call… or even chat with us.

How is this for an idea… At the back of each seat you post your photo and a phone number, email or txt to contact you. The messaging can go to India. In India they can call your control center in Queens and validate a plane is sitting on the ground for an hour or two… Best of all, if your control center doesn’t know… have the Indian person call you… you can trust them to call you, even if you don’t trust us valued customers.

• Posted by W. Steinhauer on November 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

I think as paying passengers, we get spoiled and are very short when extreme weather conditions force situations like this. I have been stuck on aircraft for 3-4 hours and that was pretty bad. I can’t imagine sitting 7-8 hours, but this was an act of God. No one was expecting the planes to divert, no one was there to meet them with hotel or drink vouchers, well, duh! It was an extreme situation. JB should offer each passenger a week in Hawaii all expenses paid. It would be cheaper than a class action lawsuit.
    There is plenty of blame to go around, JB, Airport, weather, God… But everyone was on the ground, everyone was safe. No one died…. It’s time to get over it and move on. If you don;t like JB, fly on another carrier, the situation would have been similar.

• Posted by Kristine Grantham on November 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

The CEO and COO of Air Canada answer their own emails…the founder of Holiday Inns, Kemmons Wilson, had a listed phone number in Memphis and took calls at home from disgruntled guests…It is time for Rob to do the same…Westjet’s CEO (WestJet and JetBlue have had a close start-up relationship and cross-consulting) is on Facebook, calls back unhappy customers personally….come on Rob, do the same.

• Posted by Gary on November 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

Jetflix

• Posted by Emily on November 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

And while hundreds of passengers are stranded on a plane for 9 hours, safe and out of harms way somewhere in the world another flight plunges into the ocean killing everyone on board, an earthquake kills thousands, millions of helpless kids died from starvation or some other disease, a woman loses her battle with breast cancer, a man has a heart attack on his 61st birthday, a new mother is killed-her unborn baby ripped out of her body, oh and a 10 month old Missouri baby is still missing….every single one wishing they could trade places with you and sit stranded on a plane for 9 hours. Shame on all of you…

• Posted by Jeff Schaengold on November 2, 2011 at 11:55 am

By the way…Rob Maruster

Just in case you may not perceive my suggestion for a phone number and email on the planes for passengers to contact you, or your control center, is a simple suggestion without merit… I will personally set up the mechanism for a phone number and email to be monitored 24/7 for the next six months for absolutely FREE to JetBlue.

We will filter the calls to make sure you and your staff are only contacted at the appropriate report level…

If it’s a general complaint, we’ll provide JetBlue weekly reports…. If it’s an aircraft sitting on the ground for more than one hour and less than two hours… We will call a pre-designated management number/email to advise… if it’s more than two hours, confirmed, we will contact you directly.

And we will meet with you personally every two weeks to report the outcome.

Six months for FREE… JetBlue can own the phone number and the email address…

Isn’t that less expensive to JetBlue and better for the JetBlue customers ?

Thanks
    Jeff

• Posted by Roe on November 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm

While I can’t imagine sitting on a plane for 7 or 8 hours like many of you had to endure – should we not ask who is REALLY to blame?? Short answer – Mother Nature. Is JetBlue at fault because Mother Nature decided to throw many US Airports into oblivion? Snow is snow – no one can control it. I think these planes should have been diverted to Airports that had working crews at hand and not to airports that were being dealt with the same crappy weather as their original destination airports. The FAA needs to put something into place that allows airlines to choose their next best diverted airport that will accommodate them and the passengers on board. ANd when Mother Nature finally decides to stop messing with Airports – then we can all fly happier knowing it’s a perfect world out there.

Roe

• Posted by Robert on November 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Mr. Maruster, If you can, forward me an email address to email you directly. You have my email address from this post.
    Thanks

• Posted by M. Williams on November 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Unfortunately, as JetBlue has grown in size, it has become like all the other american airlines – putting the customers’ comfort and needs low on their list of priorities. Only when the media exposes their antics, do any of these carriers attempt some sort of half-hearted apology.
    I was (note I say WAS) a big fan of JetBlue – having been a customer from day one (as I commute between NYC and Buffalo regularly). At first their service and amenties were first rate, but now it’s buy a blanket, buy a headset, etc. Pretty soon it’ll be buy a way off this plane!
    There are ways to get people off of a plane (do you ever watch your own emergency videos????). This sounds like an emergency to me, so why not activate the slides???? Or get a step ramp wheeled up to the plane on the tarmack and load the people into a shuttle bus and take them to the terminal?????
    JetBlue’s actions (or lack thereof) are reprehensible and they deserve to be fined by the gov’t. (ooops – maybe not,,,,as the fine will just be passed on to the poor customers and in the end JetBlue will have paid nothing).
    JetBlue needs to remember what made them a well-respected airline in the first place – and maybe return to that standard.

• Posted by Bill on November 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I love how everyone is an expert on air travel and airport/TSA/FAA operations and regulations. What an incredible indictment of our society in general this has become. Our country has turned into a bunch of whiny, sniffling, self-entitled, drama seeking, cry babies. Everyone thinks they’re entitled to something…”Oh, I was stuck on a plane, I deserve to be compensated”…”OMG, I was incarcerated (INCARCERATED, REALLY?)” You know what, suck it up! It happened to you and a lot of other people too, it sucked, deal with it! It happened to passengers on American, Delta, United, etc. To those with medical problems, this is not a slam against you, I understand your situation and your difficulties have every right to be a point of concern, you do have the right to complain. Unfortunately, there really were no solutions in this situation. Bradley airport literally got overwhelmed, and the people stuck in the planes felt the burden.
    Here are a few facts…
    Fact- JFK and Newark both had navigational aids (read- planes need them to land in bad weather and may crash without them) go out of service with no prior warning.
    Fact- Several aircraft were forced to divert at the last minute and one of the only airports in the area accepting non-scheduled arrivals was Bradley.
    Options? Go to Bradley or run out of gas…
    Fact- Bradley fully expected to be able to handle the additional aircraft; however, they experienced a problem with their refueling equipment which caused aircraft originally intending to gas up and go to remain much longer than planned.
    Options? Wait it out in a warm, safe plane or walk across an icy ramp without security clearance and perhaps meet with an armed TSA security force.

To all those with complaints about Rob Maruster’s apology…well, at least he apologized. Other airlines didn’t bother. In fact, I suspect their PR department may have paid to avoid the negative television coverage. What did JB spend their money on? Refunding the stuck passengers’ trip and providing them a free roundtrip at a future date.

-Don- Get out of a cab whenever and wherever you want; just open the door. At an airport, there are minor details like…..TSA/FBI regulations, I don’t you can get arrested for getting out of a cab during a traffic jam in Times Square, getting out on an airport tarmac has some legal ramifications to it. Stairs/jet-bridges- about a 12 to 15 foot drop from the door to the floor!

-Joe- It’s not an airline carrier’s call to randomly deplane via air-stairs onto a tarmac/ramp. There needs to be approval from lots of places and agencies, airport operations, TSA, etc. Not to mention, it IS safer to sit on a plane than walk across the ice. The decision to stay aboard was made when the crew was expecting to be at a gate shortly. It wasn’t until later, when it became obvious that clearance into a gate was not coming in a timely manner, that the request and approval to cross the icy ramp was made.

-VM- So what is the refresh rate of the FAA website? You think when 3.4 million people in the Northeast were left without power that potentially, just maybe the FAA didn’t see that coming and maybe their website didn’t get updated to show that? You then mention that when you got there everything was illuminated, well, some airports do have backup power available but it takes some time to get everything switched over from the primary power source to the secondary, so…….do I need to fill in the blanks for you.

In closing…really? So almost everyone on here thinks this is all JetBlue’s fault? I think things probably could have been done better and differently, but this was not the same as February 2007. In that case, most of the responsibility fell on JB’s shoulders. In this case it is an equally shared responsibility between the airport, ATC, TSA, the JB and, I know nobody likes to hear this part, but also the crappy weather (here’s a formula for you, no severe winter weather in OCTOBER = no diversion) For those prognosticators and fortune tellers amongst you: if you laid money on an October blizzard that killed 13 people (Read as- DEAD) and left millions without power…congratulations, you can retire early and buy a home in Sarasota, FL. For the rest of you, what has made JetBlue successful over the past 11-12 years has not been running a perfect operation, it has been their willingness to accept responsibility and try to do the right thing while constantly striving for improvement. While still not perfect, there is effort being made (recorded apology, reimbursement, etc). What did the other airlines do? What do you do when you make a mistake in your job performance?

• Posted by Haywood Jablomi on November 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I will continue to fly jet blue,things happen, no one was hurt no one lost their luggage, just a big pain in the ass. So Get over it.

• Posted by Lisa on November 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

@Emily While I agree that your post names situations that are much worse than sitting on a plane the fact of the matter is these posts are about sitting on a plane and the response made by Jet Blue. It was not fun for the passengers!

• Posted by alicia penninigton on November 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Jet Blue is always delayed they are hardly ever on time one time they did not deice the plane properly and we had to return to our original departing area after being up in the air a half hour they discovered the wheels were frozen had ems and firetrucks there but only by the grace of god did they unlock upon landing

• Posted by Jason on November 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Every time, I board a Jetblue flight, I always have problems. Recently, I had a death in my family and Jetblue was the only airline cheap enough for me to get back to New York from Florida. When I boarded the plane the customers took forever to find their seats. The crew members did NOTHING to help customers speed along the process at all. On the tarmac, the Pilot came over the speaker system blaming the FAA for flight delays in JFK. (EVERYTIME, I FLY JETBLUE THEY ARE LATE!!!) We sat on the ground for over an hour that day and I arrived late to New York. Lastly, the landing was awful because you could feel the plane slam on the ground. God Bless Southwest, because Jetblue will never see me again!!! Southwest gets you there on time if not early and they board the plane with open seating and get you out. Although, the planes are nice with Jetblue; however, I would prefer my time being valued then roomier seats. No thanks, Jetblue!!!

• Posted by Al Nobles on November 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Jeesh, It was a plane stuck in a snowstorm. You’ll have that.

• Posted by John Zhang on November 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Rob Maruster , you should resign from your COO position to give JetBlue a better credibility.

I have been flying Jetblue on a weekly basis between Tampa and JFK for the last 6 and half years. Jetblue pilots are great. Jetblue crews are fine. The system operation control is terrible. There are so many times that you have planes but not crews, have crews but no pilots, have pilots but no plane. And several times the airport stuff had no idea when the airplane might come for hours. Given the Internet, text messaging and wireless, it always surprises me how incompetent your system operational control is. Or you may just not care about providing proper information to your passengers.

I am not surprised for the Hartford event.

• Posted by Bill on November 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Jason- JetBlue is always late…ok, lets look at the reasons you mentioned.
    1. People take to long to board. Um, JetBlue’s fault how? Oh, you want one their flight attendants to lift the 80 pound bag over their head. That would be the only way for a JB flight attendant to help. So, let’s think about the logistic to that shall we? An endless stream of people coming on board and one of the flight attendants needs to go either against the stream or in the middle of it to get to the 1 person causing a delay to help them. Also, you get what you pay for; JetBlue will wait for someone connecting from another flight, have fun when Southwest leaves on time and your connection got in 10 minutes late due to an ATC restriction (called an EDCT- Expected Departure Clearance Time). Sorry dude, going into and out of the Northeast (especially some of the busiest airports in the world liek……….JFK) will sometimes require some patience. But, here’s a question for you: how many JB flights have slid off the end of a runway because they were going too fast trying to be on time. There is operating an aircraft safely and then there is operating a aircraft on time; sometimes those two don’t go together.

Alicia- The landing gear is not the primary concern for deicing. Also, the deicing is not performed by JB, it is performed by an outside contracted company. So, not really a lot JB can do about that.

Look, I know everyone wants to blame someone when something doesn’t go their way, but sometimes we just need to sit back and realize…at least there is a tv in the back of the seat!

• Posted by Becky on November 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Really Jason? You’re disappointed with an airline because it’s passengers move too slow (should the crew carry them to their seats)? Because FAA delayed the flight to JFK (that’s the norm)? Because the landing was rough (ever heard of wind or ground effects)? Enjoy Southwest. I fly them, too. I recently flew SWA and was very delayed due to ATC being down in Atlanta. Their passengers also move at a snails pace during their “open seating” policy. I am now contemplating sending them a harsh worded letter about it; possibly even alerting the national media. Sorry to single you out over all the other ridiculous complaints, but if you’re going to leave an airline over these issues, try Amtrak.

I am sure JetBlue management did not wake up Saturday morning and decide to intentionally strand it’s passengers. Do you think the crew wanted to be there any more than the passengers?. Do you think Jetblue created any revenue from this? NO! I am also not minimizing what those passengers endured as I’m sure it was a horrible experience to say the very least.

Who will start the blog about the increased fares caused by this? Jetblue was not the only airline on that tarmac; meaning the other airlines would be fined as well. If or when these fines are implemented we passengers will somehow pay for it in the long run when the airlines jack up their prices or maybe even add on (shall I dare say it) another FEE!

Wanna know what happened to flight 504 and the other flights diverted to Hartford on Saturday? LIFE AND CIRCUMSTANCES happened. Get over it! A Passenger Bill of Rights will NEVER prevent acts of GOD and extreme circumstances like this. What next – A Diner’s Bill of Rights – protecting us from cold or late food? Where does the insanity end? Move on and chalk it up as life experience. Save the newspaper articles and TV recordings to show your grandchildren someday. Life is passing by….

• Posted by Gerald on November 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Ok I am not a frequent flyer. Flown less that 1/2 a dozen times in my 40yrs. Seems to me that if an Airport will not allow a plane access to the terminal the blame falls on the Airport not the ariline that is the victim. I happened to fly Jetblue this weekend and was extremely impressed with everything I experienced and saw on both the flight and at the terminal. I was not involved with any of the delays but I have one question…why did someone not just get up and open one of the emergency doors and exit the plane? Yes its a long way from the wing to the ground but I would think if people were filing out the cabin the airport would have done something to get them down. Just my thoughts on the situation, and I don’t feel it’s right to blame the airline for actions of the airport.

• Posted by Bill on November 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Becky…tell ‘em sister…everyone is entitled to something these days!

• Posted by EDITH ANDERSON on November 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Because I used my EARNED points to travel, I wil get my points back and $100 whereas as others who endured the same as I will be given a round trip. How does that compute? My points didn’t lessen my suffering any more than anyone else’s. Not only did I have to sit on a plane for almost 12 hours, not 7 like flight 504, but I missed spending 1 of the 2 days I was planning to spend with my 92 year old mother. The shortening of the trip cause a lot of anxiety and fatigue. And for this I get $100.00? as opposed to a free full r/t . Where’s the justice?

• Posted by EDITH on November 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I do not blame the airline for what happened. If the sequence of events were as we were told, then it was not jetblue’s fault. If fault is to be blamed, other than the snow itself, the airport didn’t seem to be in a hurry to let us in. Once we finally made it in, about 9:30, jetblue seemed to try to make it as easy as possible. We were given food vouchers that we were able to use at McDonald’s. Kudo’s to McDonald’s who stayed open until we were fed and operating in a quick manner. The real problem, that could have been made simplier came on Sunday morning. There were too many chiefs giving opposing instructions. Before doing anything, someone should have sat down and organized things. They told us we could line up and get our flight information or call JetBlue and make the arrangements ourselves. With most of the cell phones without service and only 1 pay phone to use, this was not an easy choice. There was no advance notice as to which gate we would depart. It took so long to issue boarding passes because some people needed connecting flights and so on. The people who got off the line to make their own reservations found themselves at the rear of the line again to get boarding passes. Why not separate lines for separate issues. There should have been someone “in the know” to answer questions. It (the departure) really could have been handled much better. The rest, I would have to say, was not as bad as it could have been.

• Posted by marc wigder on November 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I am a frequent flyer, 99% on jetblue for obvious reasons.
    first, why did the flight even take off if there is a snow storm in the destination. they cancelled every flight during hurricane irene and mostly it was a non-event.

second, when the plane actually landed, they have portable stairs so people can disembark and walk to the terminal. the only time anyones safety was compromised was when they were left on the plane too long in unsanitary conditions….

• Posted by JSamano on November 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm

JetBlue does an amazing job! Things happen beyond crew-control sometimes, but hey, at least JetBlue Management hears us out. It’s easier to complain and whine than to praise and understand or look at the bigger picture. It’s the DOT/FAA that we should be complaining to for not allowing the pilot to get to a gate!

• Posted by Me on November 2, 2011 at 8:29 pm

This outrageous!! Jet Blue….you need to be SUED!!! See you in court!!

• Posted by Mary Miller on November 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

How can u say that safety was never an issue when it is unsafe in my opinion to leave people ina plane for that long? what about emotional safety?

• Posted by Mary Miller on November 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm

but i do want to add that i think it is the airport’s fault. they should have dome something when the pilot called them

• Posted by Zilgags on November 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm

We landed at JFK during the storm on 10/29 (flt 806) and that was a horrible, horrible decision by Jet Blue. I have never seen so many ill people on a plane (fortunately not me as I had dramamine) from the “violent turbulence” (as described by the pilot himslef). There were multiple unsucessful attempts to land. When we did land, we had to exit on the runway in slush and snow and were tranported to the terminal. The weather was not a surprise as the flight had departed NYC earlier in the day as #805. The flight attendant had commented how awful it was as we were boarding the plane.

10/29 was an epic fail for Jet Blue – in NYC and Hartford.

I fine them to be great in fair weather – however their operations in less than ideal conditions leaves much to be desired.

• Posted by Becky on November 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

It’s sad that the majority of these complaints come from people who weren’t even part of this situtation. From people who were probably sitting in the comforts of their own homes while these poor passengers endured the 7+ hours on a tarmac. There have been some posts by the passengers involved who don’t even put 100% of the blame on JB. One pax even mentions that some of the reports in the media aren’t even true. Yet, many feel the need to jump on the bandwagon and start rambling off nonsense complaints, demanding resignations and compensation, suggesting they’d have better procedures in place, interpreting body language, etc.
    Let’s remember, Mother Nature was in control here. This is not the first time a snowstorm has wreaked havoc for travelers, nor will it be the last.
    I once sat still for 6+ hours in a car on I95 outside of DC due to a snowstorm. No restroom, no snack service, and no apology from anyone. I didn’t cry for rights or compensation, demand the email address or phone number to the head of the US Dept of Transportation, nor did I threaten to never drive on I95 again! For those who believe they can do better, or have better procedures in place, perhaps you should post YOUR personal email and phone number so passengers and crew members can contact you the next time they become “incarcerated” on an airplane.

• Posted by V*B on November 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Reading the above comments I would have to say I agree with Bill. In the big picture is 7-10 hours sitting on a warm plane the worst thing that has happened to you? Could you really lay your head down on your pillow and sleep good knowing you are trying to put an airline under because of an act of GOD. The conditions were not safe to fly and everyone got off the plane safely. Now have you ever thought about the employees of this airline and all the others that would more than likely have to let go of employees because of these outragious fines. More people losing their job. With our their income more than likely their homes. Then they will not being able to educate their children which will lead to more uneducated people in our society. I believe this is really being blown way out of porportion. I think the proble should be fixed and stop all this blaming and blasting people and a company who I am sure did not intend on having people sit on a plane for this duration of time.. I was one of them and really folks it was not as bad as a picture is being painted… It was not intentional. Focus on all the real problems we have in the world and if you were lying there taking your last breath would you be so concerned about JetBlue and passengers sitting in a warm plane during a snow storm??? If so then you have your priorities in the wrong order…. Is this the worst thing that happened to you than you are pretty lucky you might want to make a tshirt and a bumper sticker that “you survived & hours on a tarmac” Now call your family and tell them you love them because we need more love in the world and then pray our economy gets better…..here is a HUG to you ( :

• Posted by JetBlue has refunds, free tickets for travelers stranded in storm | www.Best10Hotels.com - travel, cheap flight, cheap airfares, cheap flights, flights cheap flights, cheap cheap flights, cheap hotels, cheap tickets on November 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm

[...] Chief Operating Officer Rob Maruster made a lengthy apology via video [...]

• Posted by usux on November 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

You sux jet blue … hope the feds penalize you to the max

• Posted by JetBlue has refunds, free tickets for travelers stranded in storm : http://www.PapaTravel.com – travel, cheap flight, cheap airfares, cheap flights on November 2, 2011 at 11:33 pm

• Posted by C.R. on November 3, 2011 at 12:00 am

“ooopsie” doesn’t cut it for this sort of chronic failure.
    The Pilot should have declared an emergency if he was others were failing to assist. No reg says you have to be airborne to declare emergency and get priority handing….soooo much easier to just submit your report to the administrator and let the chips fall where they may..
    PAX should file criminal “False Imprisonment” charges….AND civil charges for “Mental Anguish”.
    The FAA penalties never actually get paid…so they are no actual motivation for reform.
    Unions will protect most…management will protect the others.
    Stay tuned for the next time they pull this crap during the next holiday season.

• Posted by C.R. on November 3, 2011 at 12:09 am

“ooopsie” doesn’t cut it for this sort of chronic failure.
    Diverting is part of the business of travel.
    Holding Pax for seven hours is incomprehensible…especially with the open gates and airstairs commented on (above)
    The Pilot should have declared an emergency if others were failing to assist. No reg says you have to be airborne to declare emergency and get priority handing….soooo much easier to just submit your report to the administrator and let the chips fall where they may..
    The FAA Regulatory penalties never actually get paid…so they are no actual motivation for reform.
    Criminal and Civil penalties might actually get SOMEONE’s attention.
    And they can blog their apologies to the jury.

• Posted by Jesse on November 3, 2011 at 12:26 am

The service of the crew can be blamed on the airline and from the comments it appeared the crew has dropped the ball and given my experiences I would be inclined to believe them. It seems that every year more and more ex United/American/Southwest employees join jetblue and bring their bad customer service habits with them. HR for Jetblue needs to maintain standards.

• Posted by Jesse on November 3, 2011 at 12:28 am

“why did someone not just get up and open one of the emergency doors and exit the plane? ”

It surely would be a safe assumption that homeland security and the FAA wouldnt mind if this happened.

• Posted by Vic on November 3, 2011 at 3:53 am

Oh Well Jason, Alicia, John and all the people that it’s complaining about JetBlue. I invite you to read the history of Ground Delays in the NY area, I can guarantee you that JetBlue it’s the only airline that could do what they do, for one reason…. JetBlue took the challenge to have HOB’s in the most busy, challenging and the worse weather conditions airports like Boston, New York area, Florida(Sept and Oct) specially. If you think about this, there is plenty of reasons to be late, however in the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany flights I’ve taken they are always on time, and if they depart late, they still arrive on time, if the aircraft is delayed, the ticket counter informs to the customer what it’s going on, but negative people like you worries about things that are sooo little, because many times I have been @ JetBlue flights that the pilot has come up and talk…..no other airlines do that by the way (one of the perks of traveling with JetBlue) they always inform to you what it’s going on, maybe they should keep things to them, because people is always looking to harm others (THIS IS THE COUNTRY OF HOW DO I FIND THE WAY TO GET IN A LAWSUIT TO LIVE THE REST OF MY LIKE DOING NOTHING) unfortunately and very disappointing is what people is always looking to do. JetBlue IT’s A BUSINESS PEOPLE like any other airlines, and yet they don’t charge for a seat on the plane(YES Spirit Charges for that), Your first bag is free (Almost all the airlines charge except Southwest), your snacks and all the drinks that you want are free (go ask a Delta flt attendant for more coke and see the look that they will give you???) the other amenities are your option……….. You want a blanket bring the one from your home, what it’s the big deal about that?? do you want to travel with loooooots of stuff (then pay for the 2nd bag), do you want even more space in your seat (then you pay a fee), do you want to watch TV?? Bring your own headset (otherwise pay for the ones they sell)…………The way I see it, if you have to pay extra it’s because YOU CUSTOMER CHOOSE TOO, not because they are making you pay, They have TV’s in each seat……I recently flew with Delta and they had TV’s in the sealing and they had a tape that it was older than the airline and they came up and apologize for the lousy noise of the tape……..Tape??? What??? The customer behind me said, they shouldn’t have tape in the first place isn’t this the 21st century??? wth? sooooooooooooo yes there might be things they need to revise…maybe!!! NO ONE is perfect, but stop trying to criticize all the time……..See the bright side like Bill says and if you really hate JetBlue don’t fly with them anymore, the good news is that there will be other people that will appreciate a seat with JetBlue because most of the time the flights are sold out or closed to be sold out, so new people may come and will love it…. In the meantime I want to thank JetBlue for been honest and for recognizing when things aren’t the way they predicted, like Becky said, they didn’t want to have this situations and I am pretty sure that this flights will get very well rewarded, despite of what people says, and last but not least we have to mention that the unfortunate situation for JetBlue is that we had the media on board and they are the worse people to have on board. Looking a way to find a Black Spot.

• Posted by Ken Esq on November 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

A snow storm and a plane being diverted certainly should come under the category of expected happening in the airline industry. Why is it that Jet Blue didn’t have a plan or didn’t have a method for ensuring that their plan was carried out correctly?
    The question now is what else have they not properly prepared for? Where else have they hired people that don’t care about their customers? This isn’t the first time Jet Blue has had serious issues…they didn’t fix the problem earlier…and their Passenger Bill of Rights appears to be nothing more than than marketing drivel.
    That’s the Jet Blue MO…

• Posted by juli on November 3, 2011 at 10:00 am

Rob.. You expect more” from your crewmembers?? Try dealing with everything that the crew did and get back to me. That was a horrible comment and all crew involved needs an apology! Obviously you did not read anything that the customers were saying that were actually ON that flight. Nothing like shifting blame.

• Posted by Mark Michalik on November 3, 2011 at 10:33 am

This is what happens when a company can sit back on their laurels after thinking their the best in customer service. Truth is what kind of competition do they really have? The Airline industry is a glorified bus service in the sky. Customer Service is a thing of the past, so just buckle up and endure the ride, cause it ain’t gonna get any better. Do you really believe airlines are going to give each passenger up to $27,500 each? Give me a break! All I can say is flying beats driving! (except when you’re stuck on a runway for seven hours)

• Posted by Bill on November 3, 2011 at 10:36 am

Edith- I completely agree with you about Sunday. That should have been handled better by the company. Unfortunately as in most companies as they grow, the middle level leadership tends to be people with little to no leadership experience and having only completed a week long class on the Principles of Leadership.
    Marc Wigder- Planes land in snow all the time. A hurricane has winds well out of the landing limits of any airplane in the world. When the planes took off for JFK and EWR, there was no problem landing at those places, however when the navigation equipment at the airports went out of service, it changed the game.

Jesse- Read the comments again. A majority of the comments praise the crew for their customer service while slamming the management and leadership of the company. Don’t bash the crews, they were busting their behinds and making the best of a miserable winter storm.

Mary Miller- Emotional safety? Really? What the heck does that mean? So you’re telling me that you’re now somehow emotionally scarred by sitting on a plane for 7 hours?

C.R.- Mental anguish? Again, really?!?!?! See comment above. Are we really that weak as americans that we go to the legislative system everytime something unfortunate happens?

Has anyone on here ever flown to Asia or Europe? Flights usually take 7-10 and in some cases 14-16 hours. So, people are emotionally disturbed and developing sleep apnia and anxiety issues because they were on a plane for a few extra hours. Really?!?!?! Toughen up people! I’m not saying it was right and I’m not saying everything went according to your envisionment or plan but geeze, quit your whining!

Have any of you tried to contacta mental health professional for grief and anxiety counseling. I’m sure their schedules are wide open right now. I mean, all these Americans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with their petty complaints and nightmares about what they saw over there. I’m sure they could turn those brave men and women away to ensure you get your chance to relive the horrors of sitting in a seat and watching tv for 7 hours. Geeze, keep it in perspective.

Law suits? Mental anguish? Emotional Safety? We have americans that could complain about that, but they are not the people that had to sit on the planes.

• Posted by Sarai on November 3, 2011 at 11:03 am

Cleaning up a “very big mess” with little to no impact on the Jet Blue operation as a whole the following morning was a HUGE improvement compared to the 5 day meltdown back in 2007 that affected thousands of more passengers. ~*Kudos to the BDL team, OPS, and all the flight crews involved! ~*

• Posted by Mark on November 3, 2011 at 11:14 am

There are apparently many at fault in this particular disgraceful situation, not merely JB.
    However, JB obviously needs to review its operational procedures, determine the root cause, and take immediate positive corrective measures to in areas where they have control to preclude recurrence when a similar situation occurs in the future. Winter weather is just around hte corner.

• Posted by Becky on November 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

THANK YOU BILL, VIC and V*B!!!! For saying exactly what I feel. The sense of entitlement in this country is ruining us at every level. Emotional safety?! What next – compensation and law suits for Jet Lag? Where do these people get this stuff? I hope people read your comments before posting more ridiculous accusations and threats. And….are they posting the same on Delta and AA. Or are their blogs protected from this nonsense?

• Posted by Sam on November 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

For those not aware, Jet Blue, like most airlines offers ALL passengers the option of rebooking without penalty whenever flights are at high risk of being canceled, seriously delayed, or diverted because of weather conditions. These options can usually be found under “Travel Advisory” on their company website. It’s hard to believe anyone woke up on the morning of October 29th, saw there was a record breaking storm moving into the Northeast, and still expected their travel experience (on whatever airline) to be anything less than perfect. Yes, the airline and airport facilities bear the brunt of the responsibility and will be held accountable for their actions but we as passengers are also responsible for making the necessary adjustments to our own itineraries BEFORE boarding in a snowstorm. Any seasoned traveler would agree.

• Posted by Mark Kroll on November 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

What has happened to Jet Blue!? It was once the best airline in the field, but there must have been some management decisions during the last 6 months, perhaps trying to tweak out a few more dollars from each passenger, that have seriously compromised passenger loyalty. I have flown Jet Blue countless time over the past few years, with complete satisfaction–that is, until these past 6-8 months. My experience recently with your ground crew, cabin crew, and even the pilot, who insulted me personally when I asked a question and told me take it to the management (i.e., shove it). I have a house in Florida, and I had planned to use JetBlue exclusively, but there are also US Air, Delta and American connections that would work fine too, and I wouldn’t have to be receiving an email from you what seems like every other day announcing a change in the departure times for flights I have already booked.
    I repeat: WHAT IS GOING ON, AND WILL YOU STOP IT AND RETURN TO THE OLD JET BLUE? This is not a theoretical question–I would appreciate an answer, otherwise I will not fly on it again.

Mark Kroll

• Posted by Brian on November 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I was on flight 333 out of BDL to MCO on 10/29. Our 4:05 pm departure was delayed as the flight ahead of us to Ft Lauderdale couldn’t leave the jetway with all the planes on the tarmac behind it. After they left we boarded and waited an hour for refueling as the fuel trucks were servicing the 30 diverted planes sitting on the tarmac and needing fuel. We finally left the gate area about 6 pm and waited an hour for deicing and took off at 7:10 pm. We saw the Syracuse to JFK diversion get our slot and the Newark diversion still parked by the other terminal waiting for a slot as we taxied out to be deiced. Having seen all this live, I can say that Delta was the most prepared. They had mobile stairs deplane passengers to buses and then to the area near gates 9 and 10. They brought 5 planeloads (mostly large planes) into the terminal and got them processed and on there way by bus to JFK starting at 1 pm and done by 4 pm. A Swiss International plane was out there longer than the JB Newark diversion as it had to wait for customs. It was a bad day to be in landing at BDL, but I think the airport did all it could. JB needs a better contingency plan going forward. They should have had enough fuel to either send the planes back to Dulles or on to Boston, both of which escaped most of the snow. Both also have more JB staff on hand and gates available to handle items like this. Regarding the post above, finding out on the morning of the 29th you could change flights was a poor option for most as JB flights were mostly sold out to most northeast destination for the next few days.

• Posted by Casey on November 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I have read every post here. There’s “Oh come on, toughen up you bunch of whiners”, “Let’s put them out of business!”, “Clean your plate, there are starving children in….”, “It’s God’s will.”, and everything in between. The most telling post is the tweet from COO Maruster the morning of the 29th saying that JetBlue will fly a regular schedule, despite calls for doom & gloom. Why would a COO make this decision in the face of a serious storm. The weather event was not a surprise. The safety and “comfort” of their customers, the first concern for the company, was put in jeopardy. The result of this flawed decision: planes stuck for hours at disfunctional airports; Chaos and miscommunication between agencies, companies, and paying customers. ULTIMATELY, due to a lack of good judgement, it’s the customers who end up paying the price. A risky gamble to take. At least no souls were lost. Is this anyway to run an airline?

• Posted by Harv on November 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I must admit I am always puzzled by the focus on the airline whenever one of these events occurs. The JetBlue plane landed at an AIRPORT, not a Macy’s parking lot. And what is the function of an airport? To load and unload passengers. Its not like this is rocket science. If there isn’t a jetway available, you roll a set of stairs up to the plane and have the passengers walk off across the tarmac. I’m sure the crew of that aircraft were just as eager to get off the dang thing as the passengers were and would have been happy to open the door for them. No, in my book the $27,000 per passenger fine should be levied on the airport. And the airport management should be fired as an example to the rest of the industry.

• Posted by Patrick Rich on November 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I don’t think he was smirking in the apology. I think he has a nervous tick of some sort.

• Posted by Mrs. E on November 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I have never flown and am planning a trip to NYC in March and Jetblue looks so good, it is how I want to go. But with all this upset, I am afraid. I am already afraid to fly, obviously, never having done so. Now all this is terrifying to me.

• Posted by Gina on November 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Becky, and the writers you referenced for putting it so well. The sense of entitlement in this country IS ruining us at every level.

• Posted by Christiane Pittaluga on November 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This is an extremely critical issue. I do not think you actually understand the seriousness of it if you believe no one’s safety was at issue. There may have been diabetics on that flight or people who will be permanently affected by anxiety as a result of the confinement. My own feeling of confidence in flying on any airline is diminished by this as it was when Northwest left their passengers on the tarmac for eleven hours. Your passengers emotional safety was compromised- you just don’t get it.

• Posted by michael on November 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Everytime some plane gets stuck for 6 hours, it seems to be jetblue. Other airlines seem to be able to get people off a plane. I’m done with you guys. You’re not cheaper, your loyalty program stinks and I might get stuck for 8 hours trapped in a cocoon. The only reason to fly you was the TV’s, and now alot of airlines have TV’s and internet.

• Posted by anthony dunn on November 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm

When a similar situation happened a few years ago the founder/CEO was fired. Why hasn’t the current CEO been fired?

• Posted by Susan on November 3, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Where does the fine money go? In whose hands does it end up? Seems the passengers involved should be receiving these monies. Do you think this compensation, $27,500 per passenger, would be suffucient for those that were stranded? And who deserves it more? The stranded passengers or the DOT?

• Posted by Shawn on November 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I have flown several times with jet blue and up to this point I have never had any problems in any of the flights. I don’t place the blame on jet blue cause its obvious that they don’t want to loose customers and the only way to do that is giving good services I personally think that its an outside problem, but its also Good to see if they need to place a different time for those departures and arrivals to better the service for that route. I have no plans on changing airlines anytime soon.

• Posted by Mischelle Lowry on November 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I am very sorry to hear this disturbing news about Jet Blue. Which is one of my most favorite Air lines. I can’t believe that Passenger’s were treated in such a inhuman way. Oh my God! I don’t know what I would I done myself. Emotional I would have been a mess. I am also a Diabetic. I hope this can be straighten out for the best. for both sides, the Company and the Passenger’s. It makes me scared to travel Jet Blue now. I will be keeping up with this progress.

• Posted by Jenny Morris on November 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm

While I was not on Flight 504, I have no doubt that the crew members kept the passengers’ safety and comfort at the top of their list of priorities. Why is everyone blaming JetBlue when air traffic controllers diverted their planes, and other carriers’ planes, to Hartford. Personnel at the airport refused to let passengers off of the plane — how does that turn into JetBlue’s fault? If you think that JetBlue is not a good airline, try flying with the other airlines and you’ll come running back to JetBlue. I think they are a great airline and I will continue to fly with them. Go JetBlue!

• Posted by C.R. on November 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

Bill, et al:
    As I stated in my original post, I do not fault the airline or the crew for the Diversion or for the travel delays. I am a commercial pilot. I know thats part of flying.
    The issue is passengers (or crew for that matter) being held onboard the aircraft for SEVEN HOURS with available gates within sight and an airstair being deployed and then withdrawn. In other words…someone…somewhere…had the capability to aleviate this “Charlie Foxtrot”…but didn’t.
    I wasnt there. I dont know anyone involved. I have no idea If its a crew problem, and airline, problem, an airport problem, or a baggage handler, or a parking lot attendant.
    But the application of a few moments of critical thinking illustrates the following: Of similar events in recent memory, were they at the same airport? no. Did they have the same flight crew? no. Did it involve the same airline (jetblue)? Yup, by-golly it sure did. So of the recent passenger imprisonment events…what is the most common factor? JetBlue.
    It pains me to say that because I LOVE JETBLUE. I like the people, the equipment, the culture, and the service.
    If this were an isolated event…that would be one thing but 7 hours is still absolutely insane.
    But this isnt an isolated even…it has happened before…more than once.
    As far as decrying this as “mental anguish”…based on what the courts have previously accepted as claims of “mental anguish”….I definately think there would be a case here. Not that I’d advocate that as an initial course of action. But the fact remains that businesses are money- motivated (thats why its called a business and not a hobby). And in order to get their attention and affect change (hopefully for the better) you usually need to make an impact on their financial report before they take notice.
    The apologies…the refunds…the voucher…are a good start even if it did take a week to do something that should have happened wiithin the first 3 hours of being detained.
    But whateer the causative agent was for this event (and those of the past) need to be changed….and the change should carry enough impact as to be clearly evident to the industry and the consumers.
    This is free advertising for JetBlue. They can set the example for failure to act, or set the example for industry leading commitment to service.
    In the current market atmosphere, service is the only way of distinguishing your product from the guy sitting at the next gate over.
    99.9 percent excellent service is meaningless if that remaining .1 percent is a negative of such magnitude that it offsets the positive experiences.

• Posted by Betty on November 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Bill, I think you’re hot.

• Posted by Caliber Executive Highlights Latest Shop Acquisitions on November 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

[...] the driving factors behind the company's recent shop acquisitions, and Caliber's plans for 2012.Mark Sanders, chief operating officer of Caliber Collision Centers, discusses the driving factors be… for 2012. WordPress › [...]

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes for stranded flights | www.Best10Hotels.com - travel, cheap flight, cheap airfares, cheap flights, flights cheap flights, cheap cheap flights, cheap hotels, cheap tickets on November 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

• Posted by JetBlue apologizes for stranded flights : http://www.PapaTravel.com – travel, cheap flight, cheap airfares, cheap flights on November 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

• Posted by viann ballentine on November 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Betty was that neccesary?? You are on the wrong website if your looking for a hookup.

• Posted by diane braff on November 12, 2011 at 10:02 am

As a passenger on JB flight 504, and being from the NE, I still wonder, WHY would anyone fly into a storm. When the plane couldn’t land at NWK, why didn’t it turn around and go the PHl or ACY? No snow storm there!
    But, more important, I am unable to understand why, on Sunday, did the flight scheduled to depart to NWK at 12PM not depart until 4PM, with no announcements to anyone in the airport. I am furious that the airline couldn’t get its act together to get people out of the airport on Sunday before 11AM, and even more angry that even their 800 number gave out the same bogus info. They are only refunding food and transportation, I lost a lot more than that, for no reason. If we had been off the plane on Saturday as required by law, this all could have been avoided.

• Posted by Bert Schwendeman on January 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Love your blog!

• Posted by Krystin Roske on February 13, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Love your blog!

• Posted by Saying Sorry on September 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

[...] a serious logistics failure keeping passengers stuck on airplanes for several hours, they issued a public apology.  Their COO did his best to come across as a regular guy who is just trying to put things back in [...]