August 29, 2011

Taking to the skies again

The sun is shining brightly, allowing New York’s infrastructure – from roadways, buses, trains and airports – to focus on recovery.  As of 6 a.m. today, the city’s mass transit system was up and running and reports have indicated that all of the airports JetBlue serves are operational.  We think the level of preparedness for this event from the government, the Port Authorities and others has been extraordinary.

Our number one priority is to ensure the safety of our customers and our crewmembers.   Thankfully, we have confirmed that the majority of our 4,500 crewmembers based in Irene’s path are ready and able to return to work to restart the airline.  Our plan is to resume flights starting at 3 p.m. today.

JetBlue moved 50 aircraft out of the impact zone beginning on Saturday, and cancelled a total of 1,252 flights between Saturday and Monday due to Irene.  As we begin to put the puzzle pieces back together again we will operate 432 flights today, including 42 extra flights to accommodate customers whose flights were cancelled. However, we expect that it could still take several days to get everyone where they want to go.

(The photo above is our first aircraft heading east to D.C. from Pittsburgh this morning!)

While we have been able to contact all customers who were affected by cancellations, call volumes to 1-800-JETBLUE remain high.  We have expanded the rebooking window to Sept. 6, 2011 and if you’re flying this week, we ask that you continue to check the status of your flight online at www.jetblue.com before heading out to the airport.

Posted by in Uncategorized | Permalink | 9 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

9 Comments on “Taking to the skies again”

• Posted by Steve C on August 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

you need to accommodate me quicker than my current flight, which is 5 days too long. I need to get back home ASAP.

• Posted by JEANNE MARIE SCARPATI on August 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Great Job, Jetblue!

• Posted by Sue Ciuzio on August 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I was on hold for a LONG time but Jet Blue came through for me. My advice is to be patient….

• Posted by sasha flares on August 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm

jetblue -how they rebook someone that was suppose to leave sdq Sunday to jfk and they rebook then for sep 5 stuck in the airport with work and college to attempt – can any one explain this to me
    never flying in this airline -

• Posted by Chris on August 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Steve C: you are not the only one in the world traveling. I think the crew at Blue are doing awesome.

• Posted by David Abbey on August 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Great use of the Internet and social media for your communications during a potentially chaotic time for many. Your twitter rep kept rebooking me as space opened up closer to the original departure date. Great job, though I understand the disappointment of those who have to wait more than a couple of days for a rebooking.

• Posted by Marcia on August 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I believe that your employees in Puerto plata Dominican republic’s airport should be HEAVILY re-trained in dealing w/ situations like this. Got booked from 8/29 to 9/5.. With no explanation as to Y..!! Thank God that I had access 2 a computeR 2 keep checking on availability of POP 2 JFK….

• Posted by Maureen J Bocardo on August 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Jet Blue did an amazing job of getting my 90 year old mother and me out of Boston and to San Francisco ahead of Irene. They have my thanks. I’m a customer for life. Yes, it did take a couple of hours to re-route us; but, considering how many thousands of other customers they had to accommodate, the service was excellent with a remarkable crew helping me with my wheelchair bound mother. Thanks again Jet-Blue

• Posted by Rorie on August 30, 2011 at 7:13 am

Our party of 9 which includes elderly and children is stuck in the Dominican Republic for an extra 6 days so far….
    - JetBlue has NOT contacted all of those with cancellations. We had to rely on texts from friends at home.
    - JetBlue has NOT provided adequate information about running extra flights. “D.R. not a priority bec we have more people stuckin the U.S.” (other forms of transportation exist for those customers rendering them “not stuck” – here in the D.R., nada! )
    - JetBlue will NOT guarantee that we will find our way out of here should Hurricane Katia interfere with our next scheduled flight.

Exactly WHY is this a great airline?