August 28, 2011

Picking Up The Pieces From Irene

By now the majority of the storm formerly known as Hurricane Irene has passed through the New York Metro area and is continuing to lose power as it moves through New England, into the Canadian Maritimes and out to sea. While many of us may have avoided the more serious concerns the hurricane posed, the impact of the storm has still been very real, and it will take some time to resume full operations at our East Coast airports.

With flooding and power outages across much of the area, we need to ensure our facilities, equipment and Crewmembers are safe, secure and ready to resume operations. We also need to bring our planes and crews back from areas outside the storm’s path, confirm that public transportation is functioning and finally, to await clearance from airport authorities along the coast that everyone is ready to start up again.

Because we were able to prepare ahead of the storm, as expected, we’re hoping to be able to resume operations by Monday afternoon. However, this doesn’t mean we’ll be up and running 100%. New York’s John F. Kennedy (JFK) and LaGuardia (LGA) airports in particular are at sea level and are still at risk of flooding from the storm surge. For many airports in the path of the storm, we may see limited operations and additional cancellations as runways are inspected or cleared of water or debris, but we’ll be on the other side of the storm and on our way to recovery. We do not have any plans to reinstate flights previously cancelled for Monday’s operation, but will look at adding extra sections where appropriate.

Please look for up-to-date information on jetblue.com and make sure you’re aware of the status of your flight before attempting to go to the airports.

Thanks again to our Customers and Crewmembers for your patience and cooperation during this storm. We’d thank Irene for not wreaking as much havoc as she could have, but that’s like thanking your ex-girlfriend for not destroying all of your belongings on her way out after a breakup (better she just leave so you can pick up the pieces and start the healing process).

Posted by in Customers | Permalink | 14 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

14 Comments on “Picking Up The Pieces From Irene”

• Posted by Deborah Verbeeck on August 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hi! My flight to JFK today was cancelled. I rescheduled but the first flight I was able to get on is September 9th. Jetblue is currently offer fee waivers for travel through September 6. I had to pay a $266 difference on 2 tickets that originally cost me over $800. Please wave the fees atleast up to the 9th because it was almost impossible to find a flight before that. Thanks!

• Posted by Jimmy on August 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

When will logan be open??

• Posted by Deirdre on August 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Stuck in Aruba and told they can’t get you home until 9/9/11.that’s what jetblue does for you

• Posted by Mark Webb on August 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

My wife and I came to New York on Friday evening for a meeting and dinner (I know, not the best idea…) and planned to weather the storm and visit some other friends, leaving Monday morning. I was apparent by the time we landed that we had made a mistake and immediately booked a departing flight for Saturday afternoon. After dinner, almost at midnight, we realized that was not going to work. I called JetBlue and talked over the better part of two hours with an agent named Rona who was based in SLC. She was under enormous pressure, as I am sure you all were, but was always pleasant and compassionate. She would put me on hold for long periods of time, but would always come back and let me know she was working to get us home to Southern California. She ws successful and we got home late Saturday night.. We cannot thank her enough, and thank Jet Blue for your professionalism and support.

• Posted by Oracio on August 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks to you all at Jet Blue for adding the extra flights out of JFK on saturday morning. You eased a lot of people’s worryies. Great Job!

• Posted by PAmela kenny on August 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Any chance you will add extra flights from Phx to JFK tomorrow? We must get home earlier than Tuesday morning!

• Posted by wynn on August 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

all i know is united flights into laguardia for monday were never cancelled.

• Posted by Holly on August 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I would like to commend JetBlue on the wonderful communication!

• Posted by Mark on August 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I seriously cannot believe the experience you all had regarding this situation. I tried for 2 days (15 calls total) to get ahold of JetBlue by phone (even at 4:30 a.m.) waiting for as long as an hour to no avail. I got notice that my flight from Boston to Chicago was canceled via a terse automated message on Friday night (we were to leave on Sunday afternoon) saying the flight was canceled. No rebooking, no information on what to do, nothing!!!! Their website was crap and contained no usable information. It had Sunday flights still available into Saturday morning. Eventually rented a car and drove the 1000 miles home ahead of the storm This was the first and last time I will flight JB.

• Posted by Steve C on August 29, 2011 at 12:14 am

i have been stuck in Vegas since Friday due to my flight being cancelled for me and my family. the next available flight is Friday, September 2…which is unacceptable. Stranded a week is not what I expect.

• Posted by Me on August 29, 2011 at 3:19 am

WOW, some peolple shouldn’t complain! Many people have died because of Irene. Airlines do the cancelation for our own safety!!!!!!!

• Posted by Paulette on August 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

Can jet blue add another flight out of kingston jamaica. People job is on line . My fiancé suppose return today .what can be done to save his job?

• Posted by jean on August 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Flight cancelled from Aruba to JFK today july 29th…every airline but jetblue is operating??why is that? next flight for sept 10th…totally ridiculous, something better be done earlier to get us home!

• Posted by Rorie on August 29, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Are we talking about the same airline – - Professional AND Communicative?! Our party of 9 is stuck in the D.R. for 6 extra days and another storm is brewing. I’ve spoken with JetBlue minimally 10x a day for the past 5 days in hopes of being put on ANY flight at all that gets us back to the U.S. Forget the mounting hotel fees, the cell bill (approaching $2500), the lack of information is infuriating. With each call I explain up front that the call will be dropped and provide a cell number for a return call. HA! With each call I hear a recording to press “2″ to leave a voicemail for an agent who will call back. HA Again!! Knowing that a storm will arrive on our new departure date we simply asked for a guarantee that we get on the next flight out. HA! A third time! One agent indicated that extra flights were going to areas with larger amounts of JetBlue fliers – - well they’re all in the U.S. already where OTHER forms of transportation exist. We’ve got nothing and are getting used to it.