May 10, 2011

NEW: Tuesday’s Travel Tips, Westchester Airport

Welcome to the NEW Tuesday’s Travel Tips, where we serve up insider tips on navigating our BlueCity network from our own Crewmembers. This week’s tip comes from Corporate Communications Manager Bryan and his tip is about HPN, or Westchester Airport in New York.

————————————————————————————————————————-

Westchester County Airport is the kind of airport we locals don’t want anyone who lives outside the area to know about.  It’s small.  It’s convenient.  And it’s ours.  But if you happen to love a quick in-and-out airport experience, maybe look it up the next time you’re flying JetBlue from the New York metropolitan area.  Just one piece of advice if you’re thinking of parking your car at the airport during the trip: don’t.

The airport is adorable and makes flying a breeze, but parking is limited.  Take a taxi.  Hire a car service.  Have a friend drop you off.  Take a bus from the White Plains Metro North Railroad Station.  Do anything but leave your car there.  Parking is limited, especially during peak travel seasons.  And it’s all about supply and demand, baby.  So with a lack of supply comes a nice little parking premium that’ll burn a hole right through your wallet.

Don’t get me wrong – this is my local airport and I’m dedicated to it through and through.  For great JetBlue flights to Florida, I’m happy to share it with you, too.  Just be smart about using it.  By leaving your car at home.

Bryan left the beaches of sunny San Diego for New York’s bustling metropolis almost eight years ago and hasn’t looked back.  (OK, maybe once or twice.)  He’s been a member of JetBlue’s Corporate Communications Team ever since and is proud to now call Westchester County home.

Posted by in Tuesday's Travel Tips | Permalink | 10 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

10 Comments on “NEW: Tuesday’s Travel Tips, Westchester Airport”

• Posted by Richard on May 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I was rerouted to HPN once when a flight back to one of NYCs airports was canceled. I spent a good hour on the bus to get back to the train station (because the two stops seem to be at complete opposite ends of the bus route) and then another hour waiting on the train and getting back to the city. If you’re actually in NYC, it’s not really worth the hassle to fly out of HPN.

• Posted by Beth Nowik on May 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I have flown out of HPN last Sept-Oct and the cost of parking was very very expensive, this May when we go, we will be doing the stay-and-go package a LaQuinta Inn in Armonk ($125 for the night in the room including parking)….we have an early flight and we can leave our car there for up to ten days and the cost is a fraction of the parking at HPN. You can also park at LaQuinta Inn without staying there for only $10 a day.

• Posted by Gail Rispoli on May 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Love HPN, it would be nice to advertise more cab/car services….esp. without the hefty prices, $90.00 bucks from the North Bronx was alittle steep

• Posted by Sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Great tip! I’m looking forward to more like this

• Posted by Mary Farmer on May 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love flying JetBlue and recommend it to all my family and friends! I fly from Tampa, FL to White Plains, NY as often as I can get the time off from work. I would love to see JetBlue fly non-stop from Stewart so that I can get my mom to visit me here in Florida as this isn’t too far from her home. I would also like to see benches at the White Plains airport so that I can wait outside for my ride to see me and get on our way quickly. It is hard to pick up and drop off as it gets really busy but it is still the best little airport in New York. Jet Blue is the best and I’ve flown all the others. No comparison. Keep up the good work!

• Posted by Carolyn on May 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I love flying out of Westchester airport and especially on JetBlue. It is so much easier to get to and much less of a hassle than any of the other big NYC airports. I only wish that you had more destinations from HPN.

• Posted by Donna on May 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm

It would be great to fly out of White Plains when I go to Jacksonville,FL. For now, I’m stuck driving the 75 miles to jfk.

• Posted by Richard Gilder on May 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

There’s a new off-site parking service at SUNY Purchase College called “Purchase Park 2 Fly.” Its only about five minutes away from the airport and they have shuttles running continuously. http://www.pp2f.org The best part about it is its a non-profit corporation and the parking fees go toward scholarships and supports the college. $5/day is the intro rate thru May, then it goes up to $15/day, which is still over half the daily rate in the garage.

• Posted by BlueTales » JetBlue » NEW: Tuesday’s Travel Tips, Westchester Airport : Go Buy Air on July 20, 2011 at 6:45 pm

[...] BlueTales » JetBlue » NEW: Tuesday’s Travel Tips, Westchester Airport [...]

• Posted by Grace Stella on May 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Love that JetBlue has flights out of HPN. I would love to see JetBlue pick up routes to ATL (Atlanta,Ga) HPN is so close to our home here in White Plains.
    We totally enjoy flying your airlines. Thanks HPN and JetBlue!