February 7, 2011

You Can’t Make This Shtick Up – Cough Drop

As told by an Inflight Crewmember:

Image courtesy of f-oxymoron on Flickr

On this particular flight I was working, on an A320, a Customer rang the call button and I responded. The female customer in 23C had some questions about her TV.

As I began to speak, the cough drop I had in my mouth projected out at warp speed and nailed the male customer seated next to her in 23B. The guy screamed, “AHHHH! WHAT WAS THAT?!”

Cringing, I replied, “That…was…my…cough drop. I am so sorry, Sir! Um, where…did… it…go?”

A lady seated in 22B, the row ahead of him, raised her hand and said loudly, “I think I got it!”

I glanced over and noticed she was looking down.

My cough drop had apparently ricocheted off the man’s head in 23B and landed in the cleavage of 22B (the row ahead of him).

Mortified, I ran to the lav, grabbed a tissue and removed the cough drop stuck to the lady’s chest (she wasn’t going to touch it). I apologized to her as well.

Thank goodness everyone laughed it off, but, if there ever was a time I needed to crawl under a rock, it was right there and then. But then, those things are very hard to find at 35,000 feet.

Posted by in You Can't Make This Shtick Up | Permalink | 3 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

3 Comments on “You Can’t Make This Shtick Up – Cough Drop”

  • Posted by Customer on February 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

    I just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Jet Blue customer service once again, adding to the over 12 hours I have spent on the phone with Jet Blue in the past 3 weeks attempting to resolve the issues and get my money back for multiple flights that were canceled.

    The customer service representatives employ a range of excuses for why they cannot rebook me on another flight or give me my money back for flights that I paid for that were canceled. One is that the events were weather-related. Immediately following a storm, it is completely understandable that flights will be canceled. However, after a certain period of time, when virtually every other airline is back up and flying and Jet Blue remains crippled, unable to even answer its own phones, never mind operate flights, the problem is no longer “the weather” but rather how the company manages the situation. In Jet Blue’s case, the response has been really off-putting.

    After I booked my flight to Chicago several weeks in advance (only my most recent flight that JetBlue canceled in the past few weeks), as soon as I read the forecasts for a winter storm I immediately called JetBlue to attempt to reschedule my flight. (Who wouldn’t! That’s an obvious move, and thousands of other people just like me were apparently trying to do the same, since JetBlue’s phone system was overwhelmed and we customers endured 3+ hour waits. Letting us re-book ourselves online would certainly alleviate the pain, but that option is not available to customers, so to the phones it is!)

    When I finally got through, I attempted to reschedule my flight for after the storm, but was told that wasn’t possible. The rep also gave me a long lecture about how prices are high because I am booking “for popular President’s Day weekend” — I’m booking for a Wednesday-Thursday business trip, and President’s Day is two weeks later. Huh?

    The representative then hung up, or the line was disconnected abruptly. I called back and waited another 1.5 hours. The next person I spoke with sounded like she was busy doing something else. When I explained my situation, she said that the last representative had already canceled my reservation and refunded me my money (without my knowledge or consent). When I checked my account, I had been credited back the frequent flier points I had used into my account, although not refunded the money I had spent buying the points, nor the extra cash I had spent on the flight — those were applied as “credits” to my account, again not at my request. I wanted to get to my destination, not get a “credit” for another trip on JetBlue!

    Then I got a voicemail from JetBlue saying I had been rebooked on another flight the next morning, a red-eye leaving in the middle of the night. Huh? Back to the phones! Another hour on hold later, and the rep told me that “everything was set.” What does that mean? She canceled that reservation, and again I was cut off, so after several more hours on hold, an erroneous re-booking, and completely oblique response from a customer service rep, I had no idea what was happening with my flight.

    When I called back (again!) today, I waited on the phone for an hour, then when the rep tried to transfer me to a TrueBlue rep, I was again disconnected. Called back again, and was connected to a really rude True Blue rep who acted as if I were stupid. (I’m not.) She told me that I was calling back a week after the fact trying to get a refund for my money, and no refunds were possible. “Why did you wait so long?” she demanded. I was utterly stunned that she could make this remark to me, given that I spent literally hundreds and hundreds of cell phone minutes attempting to resolve this issue with JetBlue over the past week, and time after time the calls were disconnected or otherwise bungled.

    The rep then advised me to buy a ticket on another airline. Good idea, except that now the same tickets that I could have bought a few weeks ago (when I made my purchase for tickets though Jet Blue) are now double or triple the price. So by booking through Jet Blue, I end up with money wasted on a ticket I can’t use, and I’ll have to pay hundreds of dollars more to book last-minute on another airline.

    This is a huge disappointment. I used to love Jet Blue and would rave about it all the time, especially for frequent travelers. I want my money back please!

  • Posted by JetBlue on February 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm

    Hi Kathleen,

    Thank you for your note and we’re sorry for your negative experience. We’ve passed your note on to our Customer Support team and someone will be in touch with you soon.

  • Posted by Ryan on February 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

    I just got home from work after a long day and this story made me laugh out loud. Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

Leave a Reply