December 29, 2010

An update on our winter storm recovery efforts

The sun is shining in the Northeast and flights are taking off and landing, but New York’s airports are still digging out from the snOMG 2010 that dumped more than two feet of snow on us during our holiday week.

We’ve been working double-time to ensure the fastest return to normal operations and we plan on operating a full schedule starting tomorrow.

If you’re not sure whether your flight has been cancelled, please check your flight status before heading to the airport at http://www.jetblue.com/flightstatus. If your flight has been cancelled and you need to be rebooked, please call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) and an agent can assist in finding that next available flight. We understand that the wait time to get through has been long, but the call volume has been decreasing with the extra lines and support that we’ve added. We appreciate your patience.

For more valuable travel tips during this challenging weather event, please check out yesterday’s BlueTales blog post.

Hang in – we’re almost there!

Posted by in Customers | Permalink | 19 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

19 Comments on “An update on our winter storm recovery efforts”

• Posted by David V on December 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

yeah i got cancelled and cant get a flight until the 6th real nice…… been booked for over two months and will miss new years with my sister due to this mess.

• Posted by Matt on December 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’m sure it is inconvenient to all those stuck or not able to get where they are going but think about it for a second. This is a winter storm, jetBlue didn’t order it up special to mess with your life and there isnt a single airline doing more to get you where you wanted to go. New York city streets arent even all open!

No I dont work for jetBlue but my wife does and they are putting in lots of mandatory overtime but if planes cant take off there is nothing that anyone can do.

• Posted by Spyctacular on December 29, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I also work for JetBlue as an Aircraft Technician.
    I understand how inconvenient it all is, but as someone else stated. This was mother nature and not something anyone had control over. Blaming an airline for delays and cancellations is absurd. Would you really want to fly in a blizzard. Go flying down a snow and ice filled runway.
    Would you do it in your car filled with family members?
    The airline cancels flights for the safety of all it’s passengers.
    Pointing fingers at an airline for looking out for you and themselves is absurd.

• Posted by Brenda on December 29, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Have a flight on Sunday to Barbados. Jan 2…..will you be on schedule then. I love Jet Blue. Don’t let me down now!

Brenda

• Posted by Brian Roberge on December 29, 2010 at 8:59 pm

If people insist on flying to Snow Country in the winter, they have to be aware that this is a possibility. The airline isn’t to blame for the weather…that is one that that you have no more control over than we do.

• Posted by AL on December 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm

A ticket counter lady at Jetblue JFk was as close to an angel as we could get today – THANK YOU !

• Posted by MB on December 29, 2010 at 11:24 pm

The airline may not be to blame for the weather, but there is no reason to make everyone rebook via phone. I should have ignored the instruction and booked a new flight without JetBlue’s “assistance” but instead I spent 40 minutes on hold to be told the next available flight was January 6…because everyone who had the sense to go online had already bought all the tickets. If you don’t have enough staff to take all the calls, why tell everyone to call?

• Posted by cat on December 29, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I fly JetBlue whenever I can and by no means blame the airline for this weather disaster. However, one thing I don’t understand is your standby policy. My father and sister were able to get on a flight on American through a standby list today because their flight (also, obviously, on American) was cancelled yesterday. My flight on JetBlue was also cancelled yet I couldn’t be put on standby either at the airport on through your 800 number. My plan, at this point, is to go to the airport tomorrow and try to get on any flight I can but I am not sure if this is wise because agents are telling me that you won’t honor standby unless it is the flight directly before your scheduled flight. On other airlines, many many people are getting on through standby from what I’ve heard. Wouldn’t it make sense to have a more comprehensive standby policy? Seems that it would help customers AND the JetBlue by getting as many people where they need to go as possible….

• Posted by Luisito on December 30, 2010 at 1:03 am

Ok, 3 days later after the storn, flights from iad to oak was cancel due crew rest. I dont understand, jetblue canceled so many flight and they dont have a crew for my flight.?
    2 questions?
    1, r u hiring flight attendent?
    2, is manament doing their job placing pilot an flight attendent where they need to be?

• Posted by LeeAnn on December 30, 2010 at 2:16 am

Why was my Boston to Nassau direct – 9:05am – flite cancelled this morning? Good thing I checked the flite 10 minutes before I drove the hour to airport. Not a good day.

• Posted by hyip investment on December 30, 2010 at 3:51 am

Very enjoyed this! Well done!

• Posted by Nancy on December 30, 2010 at 11:09 am

I am a Jetblue crewmember who has been working the phones since Christmas trying to get all of you to where you are trying to go. Those of us working for an airline realize how frustrating it can be, if it be a vacation that is now being canceled, doctors appointments, or work missed, or any other incovnience these canceled flights have been causing.
    I, along with many other reservation agents, have spend the past week laughing with some customers, crying with others, and being so overwhelmed with the patience and friendship shown by so many of our customers, who I am sure are as frustrated at mother nature as us here in the call center. My hats off to all of you who have been kind, understanding, and patient with us as we try to help you!

• Posted by kdsailorgirl on December 30, 2010 at 12:13 pm

As someone said already, this is winter in the Northeast. We are imperfect human beings. Airlines lose millions of dollars in lost revenue when they have to cancel flights due to storms. Crew rest is mandated by the FAA, not the airline. Plus, isn’t it better to have a pilot who’s rested rather than one is fatigued?
    When travelling, always have a plan B, avoid airports which are notorious for closures and weather delays and take out travel insurance for times like this.
    I am a former JB inflight crewmember. Wish I never left the company. It was definitely a mistake! GO JB!!!

• Posted by Susanne West on December 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Bottomline: JetBlue, a week ago my favorite airline, is systematically failing relative to its peers.

On the 28th I was trying to get from LaGuardia to South Florida at 4:30 pm. The other airlines got 19 of 19 flights through after 2 pm. JetBlue got 1 of 6, and its one success story was 414 minutes late!

Terrible performance, and you’re using weather to mask operations and crew service failures.

• Posted by Vannym on December 31, 2010 at 12:09 am

I understand that traveling in the winter is not always easy, but at this time of year most people have to travel. Yes, mother nature caused the thousands of cancelled flights early in the week, but why are flights still being cancelled FOUR days after the storm? Displaced crews? Sorry, but now you have 500 more people traveling from Tampa to New York/Boston that you have to re-book. Maybe in the winter you should think about adding more crew members for this type of situation? My flight was cancelled at the last minute. Thanks for making me think it was just delayed and then telling me the next available flight was after the new year to an airport farther away from where I live.

I also went to two other airlines today when I was in the airport and while they had no room for me, they told me they did not cancel flights to the same desintation. Guess they hired enough crews.

• Posted by Barbara Not-Buying-It on December 31, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I empathize with the crew members on the phone, on Twitter, and on the planes. The problem is at the corporate management level. It seems that this once-great carrier has become totally dysfunctional. Why defend it? I’ve worked for dysfunctional places myself – didn’t always have the option for the noble protest quit. So, I get that. I don’t blame the lower-level folks.

Still there is no excuse for the way the company as an entity has handled this.

• Posted by Jennifer on January 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I have to say that I was very disappointed in JetBlue’s response to the storm. I was called by a recording at 2 am on the 29th to be told my flight was canceled; I waited 90 minutes on hold to be told I could not fly back until January 6th. That there was no other option seemed ridiculous to me. I had pets that would have died had I not returned by New Year’s, not to mention a job that would not look kindly on the sudden extra days off. I asked for a refund and was told it would take seven to ten days to process; I was told I had no other options, period, it was the 6th and I should hurry up and take it as the 6th was going fast. I went online and saw that a notice had been put up canceling all flights from Christmas through the 30th, but that notice had not been there when I had checked in on the afternoon of the 28th. At that time there were no delays or cancellations showing.

I found a seat on a Continental flight on the 30th and was home that night. It cost me almost four times as much as my JetBlue ticket, as well as taking several hours more due to a layover, but I was home; there were also many seats on American, USAir, and Delta. The Continental staff were helpful and kind; they said they were moving crews into New York by train and had tripled all outgoing flights for the week after the storm to ensure they could accommodate all their passengers. That is the kind of response I expected from JetBlue, not to be stranded for a solid week simply because of crews being unavailable (as the woman on the phone told me).

I am thankful that I had friends and relatives who were able to loan me the money to get home; I am thankful that I am keeping my job and my pets get to live. But I must say that while I do not blame the JetBlue workers, I will not fly this airline again. I lost a lot of money and risked losing a lot more, while other airlines seemed far more able to cope with this natural occurrence. Another commenter mentioned a plan B: my plan B is to make sure that my plan A carrier has sufficient resources to adequately handle a crisis.

• Posted by Michael on January 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I 100% agree with the previous comment made by Jennifer. I was stranded in Boston with a flight at 10AM on the 29th, but I didn’t receive a cancellation notice (by email) until 1AM that day. If the cancellation two days after the storm was a matter of resources (planes or personnel), I would expect that I could have been notified at least the evening prior. At that time, I likely could have booked onto one of the larger carriers who seemed to have seats available (although at a premium). I also ended up paying 4X for a first class ticket on Delta just to be able to get back to San Diego, because the best JetBlue option was flying to a different airport on the 3rd and getting a rental car.

To me, the fact that JetBlue was primarily the only carrier with significant cancellations past the 28th indicates that there is either a resource or an Operations problem. I am sure that management will be studying this carefully, and I hope that there is a public statement as to cause and remedy so that I can regain my trust that I can fly JetBlue into the Northeast in the winter. Right now, I will be looking at other airlines until I either hear a response from JB or we move into spring…

• Posted by Charlie & Nancy on January 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

It is now Jan.6. It’s taken 4 days to cool down after our experience with Jet Blue. We booked an after Christmas flight from Logan to Ft. Myers last May. Guess what, there is no advantage by booking early, even though JBlue gets to use our money for 6mo. even before we fly!! Our departure date of 12/30 in the AM (4 days after the storm)was cancelled by a computer generated voice as we sat having coffee prior to our morning flight — yes, cancelled an hour before takeoff!! What to do?? Called our son to come back after us (and they thought the grandparents had finally departed)– expense and family inconvenience big time. Thursday evening (30th) waited on phone for an hour to speak to JBlue; nice lady tried to get us on for Sat but no luck and then booked us for Sun., Jan 2 at 8:12. Again, we’re in the “Big Dig” tunnel to Logan at 7AM when our cell rings — auto message “you’re cancelled”!! Why issue boarding passes on-line and list flights as on-time and then cancel within an hour of the flight?? Who’s running this airline and why are they still there?? Common courtesy is not part of Jet Blue’s work ethic. We fully agree with others above regarding staffing issues and the reality of doing business in the Northeast (or any inclement weather area)– have the backup in place to accommodate customer needs. We were not going back to our kids house — having overstayed by 4+ days — and so had to be aggressive. Ended up in seats E&F by the rear “john” to Ft. Lauderdale, then rented a car to head West to Ft. Myers and our car at that airport and finally home to Venice late Sun night. We’ve flown with you for years, but Jet Blue “Blew It” and we’ll not fly with you again.