December 28, 2010

Here’s how we can dig ourselves out

The snow has stopped falling, but it’s still on the ground – all two+ feet of it!

As we mentioned yesterday, the residual effects of a storm can put a damper in travel plans days later. Runways and taxiways still need plowing, crews still need to make it to the airport, and ground and public transportation options to the airports remain extremely limited.

We’ve compiled some tips to help navigate travel during this challenging weather event, and we invite you to add your own in the comments section:

Image courtesy of our Boston Supervisor Dan Santry

* If your flight has been cancelled we will make every attempt to contact you through your supplied email address or phone number. However, if you’ve booked through a third party service, we may not have access to that information. Be sure to check the status of your flight at http://www.jetblue.com/flightstatus.

* If your flight has been cancelled, you have the option to be booked on the next available JetBlue flight, receive credit toward a future JetBlue flight or get a full refund for that flight.

* If you choose to rebook on the next available flight, call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) and an agent can assist in finding that next available flight.  We are being swamped with calls, as you can imagine, so if you don’t get through the first time, please try again.  We are adding more lines and agents to help answer all of the calls.

* If your flight is canceled and you’d like a refund or credit on the unused portion of the ticket, you can call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) or please write to us at http://www.jetblue.com/speakup. (Refunds may take 7 to 10 days to post after processing.)

* Don’t go to the airport unless you have a confirmed ticket for a flight that is still scheduled to go.  (Check the status of your flight here.) Customers looking to standby for a flight or purchase a ticket at one of these airports may not be accommodated at this time.

* For those traveling to or from our home airport in New York City, the JFK AirTrain is not operational, but expected to resume service tomorrow. As a result, please allow extra time to get to the airport.

* If you are having difficulty getting to the airport and need to cancel your flight, we encourage you to try to contact us prior to your flight’s scheduled departure.  In addition, we are waiving change fees for select routes for customers traveling through Wednesday December 29. For the latest information on this go to http://bit.ly/jbalert.

The safety of our customers and our crewmembers comes first. Thank you for your patience  – we’re doing our best to get you where you need to go!

Posted by in Customers | Permalink | 59 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

59 Comments on “Here’s how we can dig ourselves out”

• Posted by Rob Basham on December 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Dear JetBlue,
    No one in your organization offered to rebook me from 12/27/10 flight 489 Boston to LGB. I got a canned message via email and phone that said good luck, good bye and your screwed. I was on my own to find a way back to CA.
    Hmm full fare passenger at $411+ upgrade fee $60+$100 pet travel fee got absolutely no assistance from your organization.
    Your website offered no help. Your 800 number was useless- you closed it down- just dropped calls.

Your organization has quickly fallen into Legacy Carrier status.
    Shame on you and your organization.

Thanks for nothing.
    Please don’t bother to send a canned TNT email.
    My objective is too find other solutions that don’t involve your “airline”

Rob Basham
    rmbasham@att.net

• Posted by Teddy G. on December 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Need more snowey JFK pictures please!!
    How high are the snow piles??

• Posted by Lisa Loves JB customers on December 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I am a Customer Support (reservations) crewmember, and I just wanted to thank our wonderful customers! I’ve been working overtime for the past two days, and EVERY customer I have spoken with has been courteous, prepared, understanding, proactive, patient, flexible, informed, kind . . . and they’ve still had the presence of mind to ask me how I am and to wish me happy holidays! I’m glad to be spending my holidays with the industry’s best customers!

• Posted by Robert Frederick on December 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hello Rob,

I want to make one statement. You are not the only one in this mess. How about you be appreciative for the situation instead of throwing JetBlue underneath the bus like they can control the weather. They are doing as best as they can. How about if you have a problem? Why don’t you send a message to customer relations instead of bashing them on here. Real mature bro.

Great job JetBlue! Your doing your best to accommodate everyone in this
    tough situation

Sincerely,
    Robert Frederick
    Socalidude949@yahoo.com

• Posted by Alyssa Acuna on December 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Was scheduled to fly on a red eye Monday night but the first flight Jetblue could get me on was Saturday morning! Jetblue’s lucky to have such a wonderful customer service rep help me because it definitely helped take the edge off. Otherwise, I think I would have been a very disgruntled, previously loyal, jetblue Amex trueblue customer. I guess my only piece of constructive criticism is I wish we (jetblue Amex holders) had better, preferential treatment. For instance, our own number to call or a customer service rep call us directly to prioritize rebooking our flight. I’ve been flyin with jetblue since they first started and have had the their Amex since 2006. Least they could do is make me feel more special for being so loyal!

• Posted by Lesley on December 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I am shocked by one of the comments! I have never known JetBlue to not step up to the plate for their customers. I have flown JetBlue many times and I have friends who have. The customer service has always been outstanding and JetBlue always went above and beyond in every way. Contact Customer Service and go from there! I have never been disappointed!!

• Posted by Katherine on December 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Just finished twitting with JetBlue. Tried to get my daughter and her fiance a new flight to NYC. They could not meet their needs, but tried hard and were very helpful.
    Thanks JetBlue

• Posted by Joey on December 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

can’t believe you turned the phones off.

then you called me back, and put me on hold for 30+ minutes… so I hung up.

I had to drive to the airport, just to get ‘the next available flight’ 5 days later, missing a whole week of work, losing significant income.

completely disappointed with Jetblue. I’ve spent 1000′s with you guys over the last few years, this is a major major fail.

• Posted by JetBlue on December 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hi Joey,

The phones have not been turned off – we continue to take calls from customers. Because a lot of people are calling at once the lines are overburdened and some calls may be dropped. We encourage you to try back and we thank you for your patience.

• Posted by Elyse Estrada on December 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I just have to say a huge thank you to the jetblue twitter team! JMB, SC and SD have been incredibly helpful when I could not get through on the phone. If you have specific questions or rebooking ideas follow them @jetblue and they usually respond within 30 minutes. I’ve been booked, cancelled, rebooked and cancelled again but they help as much as they can. Thank you JetBlue!

• Posted by Mark M. on December 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

You may want your marketing/PR folks to start proofing your blog posts. I’ve noticed multiple gramatical errors the past few days!

• Posted by JetBlue on December 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comment. We’re only human after all and make mistakes! Feel free to contact me with any specific errors you might have noticed and I’d be happy to correct them.

• Posted by Jessica on December 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Are the runways at JFK expected to open by tomorrow? As many people do we have alot of money invested in this weekend and it apprears that all flights are booked solid fromTPA to JFK all weekend!

• Posted by Ralph on December 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm

No LA trip for me now. Supposed to fly out of JFk Monday morning. Callign since saturday afternoon, but was unable to get through. Finally last night…first flight not until Jan 4. Wow JetBlue!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted by Anthony on December 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I love how people assume if they’re flight is canceled, it’s the specific airline’s fault. Let the “I’ll never fly this airline again” comments flow! Don’t be ridiculous. EVERY airline was screwed. Not to mention they all lose significant revenue during a mess like this. It’s not exactly in their favor to drop phone calls and ignore everyone! Seriously people, think about it.

My girlfriend got stuck in Michigan and ended up having to rent a car and drive the 10-12 hours back to NYC. She was on Spirit. Their refund policy? 6-8 WEEKS. jetBlue is offering 7-10 days.

Keep it up jB. I’ve always loved your service! (Just…can you bring down your prices a bit?? I’ve been stuck flying American most of the year since they routinely trump your fares, even with baggage fees, etc factored in!)

• Posted by Amy on December 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I appreciate all the effort that all the airlines put into fixing problems during the storm. My complaint is this: My Monday RDU-BOS flight was canceled on Sunday evening (understandably).

I could have rebooked online from RDU to BOS immediately and left on Tuesday. However, the online system does not take rebookings/changes. Instead I tried for 6 hours to get through to the call center, got bounced out, and only on hour 7 was able to wait in a 45 minute queue to speak to a live agent. By then, all open seats on Tuesday and Wednesday were booked, and my return is booked for Thursday.

Request: The agent explained that JetBlue is working on an upgrade to the online system to make changes, but it’s not ready. Please get the online change system up and running.

• Posted by Janine Cardone on December 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

JetBlue is a class act !! If you don’t get through the first time, keep trying, believe me I did. Their Res agents are great and will do anything to help you in their power. @ Rob…..What do you expect when a full fledged Blizzard occurs ????? Airlines don’t control the weather and must put safety first!
    Thank you to the two Res Agents who helped me, You were very much appreciated !

• Posted by Emily on December 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Can you make a way for us to rebook online without penalties? I’m trying to rebook my flight but can’t get through to the phone number. Rebooking online is set to cost me extra. Will you refund the difference, if we book a new flight online while waiting to get through to the phone number?

• Posted by Terry Roberts on December 28, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I love Jet Blue and will not fly another airline unless JB dosent go where I need to go. I wasent involved in the snow storm issues, but last year I had a flight canceled and they went over and beyond the call of duty, I will never bash or say a negatvie word about Jet Blue!!! Jet Blue I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted by Robert Greenbaum on December 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Jet Blue should be ashamed of the service they are providing. I spent the entire day at Ft Lauderdale airport for a flight that never took off . Jet Blue changed the time every few hours. There was no air conditioning in the terminal. The staff was rude. Yelling at customers that they were no longer answering questions. Then there was an announcement that just because the flight crew walked off the plane it did not mean the flight was cancelled. It was mess. Jet Blue also kept announcing that they had no pilots. As soon as they could locate a pilot they would board. There were two supervisors for the entire Ft Lauderdale. The schedule time board times did not match website. No info was displayed at the gate. People kept coming up saying a flight was cancelled on the website but it said it was on time in the airport. The person behind the counter had no info and did not seem to care one bit. After sitting there for hours you would think they would give some sort info. Then the person at the gate seemed annoyed that the passengers wanted to know what was going on. Jet Blue has not been answering there phone for the past three days. They also will not let you reschedule through there website. They will refund the original ticket but want to charge you the difference. After sitting there from 9AM through 6PM they gave me a bottle of water

Jet Blue failed at every point of customer service today. I understand there are problems at JFK but can’t they make announcements about what is going on ? Why can’t they answer the phone? Why can’t they have enough staff on hand? One person at the gate trying to rebook hundreds of people. I noticed that American Airlines had three people at the gate. Not once did Jet Blue make any sort of apology to there customers about all these problems.

What was also interesting is that many of the Jet Blue flight attendants were just showing up at the airport trying to get on flights. After speaking to a few of them they also said they could not get through to the airline

I really don’t understand how Jet Blue could let it get this bad

• Posted by eli green on December 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I think JetBlue is going bankrupt! What other airline cancels all flights, has a phone system that hangs up on you when trying to reschedule and doesn’t post flight cancellations until the very last minute!!!!

What a way to end the holidays! Thanks JetBlue!

• Posted by Dayle on December 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm

JetBlue is the bet airline out there. They are not at fault in any way! You can’t help one runway open at JFK, What they are offering their employee’s to come to work in this insane time is more than generous. The customers have no clue the behind the scenes. Stop blaming the airlines, it’s not their fault. I have had two flights I was booked on, both canceled, both I got emails and phone calls from JetBlue informing me in a significant amount of time. Think beyond your own situation, yes it’s frustrating but you are not the only one, times that by 150 people on each canceled flight. Hang in there, it’s all you can do. JetBlue will always and still is the number one airline out there flying nationally hands down!

Thanks to all the crew, I know you have a heck of a week coming up. Just remember Dr. Wayne Dyer says to offer silent blessings to those who are negative and out of control. Peace!

• Posted by susang on December 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

There are FIVE non-stop flights tomorrow Boston to Washington Dulles and only one (mine) was canceled. It wasn’t the first or last of the day. I’d love to know why. “Airport conditions” doesn’t seem to be a plausible culprit.

More frustrating is the fact that it didn’t appear that we could rebook ourselves into available seats online once we got the message. The Jetblue website says that the additional airfare and change fee would be waived if we called and spoke with someone. As you know, the lines are really busy, so as we waited on hold for an hour and a half we watched all of the seats for flights at nearby airports in the following days disappear.

If we had simply gone to our account’s “mange my flights” section and changed our flight to a more expensive one on the same route, different day, would the fees have been waived as they are over the phone? If not, why doesn’t this option exist? It would take a lot of pressure off of the phone lines?? Customer service, are you listening???!!

I asked this question to the agent I eventually spoke with, but he had no idea if the fees would have been waived had I done it myself.

• Posted by Cooking on December 28, 2010 at 11:19 pm

From Mark M. :

” I’ve noticed multiple gramatical errors the past few days!”

Really, Mark? Do you know how many airline employees are operating on almost no sleep due to the blizzard, how many passengers are stranded? And you are worried about grammatical errors! No offense, but you are an idiot. I think that Jetblue employee, Allison Steinberg, who offered to correct the errors is a saint. I would have been tempted to point out your cerebral limitations. It is employees like her who make JetBlue the airline they are.

• Posted by Susan Hack on December 29, 2010 at 12:10 am

got to the airport-PBI- at 630pm for my daughter to get on a 8pm flight to Boston. Flight delayed until 10pm. Luggage checked in boarding at 930pm. Daughter went through security. Flight delayed again but definately leaving tonight according to Jet Blue attendant. We were assured the flight was leaving so we headed home.Daughter just called crying flight cancelled as crew is “missing”. hubby just left to …drive another 45′ to go get her. Thanks Jet Blue. How ridiculous: “the crew is lost”! First and last experience with Jet blue. How can you run an airline if you are missing crews.

• Posted by Will on December 29, 2010 at 1:45 am

Had direct flight tomorrow morning to SF and learned it was cancelled when went to check in on line. After over 60 minutes on hold finally got to an agent and was told first available flight wasn’t until 1/6. Seriously? 8 days from now? Asked phone rep if she could get creative and book non direct flights to other spots and get me back to SF sooner than the 6th and she couldn’t. I don’t fault JB for the weather but seems that 8 days is an unreasonable solution.

• Posted by Jill on December 29, 2010 at 2:15 am

I agree with Anthony that this is NOT JetBlue’s fault. I was attempting to fly out of JFK on the evening of 12/28, and my observation was that the airport operations at JFK were in complete chaos. JetBlue was trying to get their flights out, but the airport was not allowing the planes to fly.

I do have a few complains though…

My biggest complaint was how the flight check-in process was being managed. There was no clear process for a checked-in traveler to drop their bag so they could proceed through security to the gate. Instead, the lines that were designated as “bag drop” lines were filled with hundreds of people who were not even ticketed, let alone checked in, and many did not have confirmed flights departing. I was ticketed, checked-in, and at that point my flight had not been cancelled, and had I not gotten “creative” I never would have gotten my bag dropped so I could get to the get. I finally was able to plead to a service manager to let me get my bag tagged at the counter so I could skip the line and get out of their way (that worked).

JetBlue really needs a better process for confirmed/checked-in travelers to drop their bags. It would make sense for there to be a specific line that is manned (like security entrance) where confirmed tickets are checked before allowing the traveler through that line to drop their bag. The only passengers that should be let through this line are those who are 1. checked in, 2. have bags to drop, and 3. have a confirmed flight that remains scheduled for departure. PLEASE JETBLUE – CAN’T YOU ACCOMMODATE THIS?

As it turned out, my flight was cancelled, however we were never notified of the cancellation – thus my next complaint. My companion and I were checked in and at the gate, and had signed up for flight notifications by email and voicemail. The flight board continued to state that our flight was confirmed and departing on time, yet all other flights had been cancelled. I continued to check the online status of the flight and received at least 2 automated notifications that the flight was still confirmed and on-time. About 30 minutes after the scheduled departure, the gate erased the flight details from the board, leaving all passengers waiting there wondering what that meant. A few JetBlue service reps came by and stated, “We think this one is still flying,” encouraging us to hang in there. Meanwhile, JFK began making announcements that the airport was officially closed and no additional flights would be departing. At this time I logged into my JetBlue account and discovered that my flight itinerary was no longer appearing on my account, yet the flight status was still indicating that the flight was leaving “on-time” (now an hour past the scheduled departure).

We finally decided to book a rental car and drive home (8 hours to upstate NY). We are half-way home as I write this – we decided to stop in a motel to get some sleep along the way.

It is my hope and expectation that JetBlue will recover my itinerary and credit our fares for the flights that never were provided. I also expect that JetBlue will return my checked bag to me at some point, and I trust them to do this. They have never failed to follow-through with these services in the past.

• Posted by Susanne West on December 29, 2010 at 2:26 am

Flight from Hell: 12 hours at LGA awaiting flight crew for JB 369 who were “on their way” every hour…only to have the flight cancelled when we were finally staffed because the lead crewmember could not reach dispatch to get himself on the manifest…

And now your phone lines are so jammed at 2 in the morning that I’m left wondering what happens to the wait time when the sun rises.

Speaking on behalf of the hundred-odd passengers on Flight 369 tonight (28 December) who were systematically misled by the poor, uninformed gate attendants trying to do their best…but coming off as shills for a totally dysfunctional crew service dispatch and operations flow…I can say with confidence that you abdicated your responsibility to your passengers this evening.

Lies, to my knowledge, are not weather related.

• Posted by George Samuels on December 29, 2010 at 3:47 am

I had my sons and daughter in laws booked from San Diego -Boston, Dec 27… Was cancelled due to weather… Impossible to get through on the telephone to rebook. Drove to the airport to see a live body…. huge line, and agents looked helpless as they looked at their computers. Rebooked another flight for Tuesday redeye… only to be cancelled after checkin and through security. It is my understanding Logan Boston Airport was never closed during this period. Therefore it is assumed Jetblue has atrocious internal controls and very bad systems. If this second cancellation was due to crew shortage or airplane routing, this should have been noticed and passengers notified before arriving at the airport…for a second time. It is also my understanding that Jetblue has a relationship with American Airlines. Jetblue crew would NOT book the second cancellation on AVAILABLE American flights. Like a previous post, we have spent thousands with Jetblue in the past as a loyal cutomer. No more as this airline is run like a two-bit small time airline with no basic internal flight systems in place. Timely notification to passengers would have been a minimum request. A simple try to rebook on the sister airline, American, would have been another minimum request. Shame on Jetblue. And last…. Assuming this snafu cost Jetblue millions, a simple updated website post by a Jetblue employee indicating current status during this turmoil, would have calmed thousands of your loyal customers who were left calling on the phone only to be hung up by Jetblue voicemail… I sure hope the mechanics and safety of the planes are alot better than the internal systems and procedures of Jetblue.

• Posted by PRJ on December 29, 2010 at 6:32 am

Still on hold.. over 2 hours. Jetblue, you should have as many customer service reps standing by to make up for all of the cancellations you’re issuing. This is absurd. Helps solidify canceling my JetBlue AMEX rewards card and diversifying to fly other airlines.. Sad really. Oh yeah, and our family trip to Florida, ruined along with the lost $ from non-refundable travel plans.

• Posted by Ray Fuller on December 29, 2010 at 6:49 am

Been on hold – 52 mins (started at 5:50AM) after being disconnected 10 other times from JetBlue. Waited at airport 2 hours before gave up and went home. This is my FIRST experience with JetBlue, but I can say it’s not a positive one so far. I have a “reservation” with American just incase I can’t get rebooked. Funny thing is, when I look at my Itinerary online it says: Flight Departed. When I look at the flight says: Cancelled. NO ability to rebook, no ability to talk to anyone and see what is going on. Customer service, while I understand is overloaded, needs some way to auto-rebook, rebook on-line, at the kioski or bring on more staff to answer the phones. Current service level, not cutting it.

• Posted by BostonJB on December 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

Delaying flights or canceling flights is acceptable mid storm or with poor flying conditions, however being stuck at a fully functioning airport post storm because your flight attendant is late for work is unacceptable. After changing my flight, I had to arrive at the airport at 6AM just to sit here waiting for 2 more hours because the flight attendant couldn’t get here on time like the rest of us. JetBlue, why is it that your customers (and TrueBlue) members need to suffer due to one of your employees? This could have been avoided.

Not so happy holidays I guess.

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Time for Dave Barger to be fired too! Everyone understands that there is a weather issue but the way that Jetblue is managing the problem (or not managing the problem) is absolutely ridiculous. I’m stranded in Fort Lauderdale and have been in the airport for days. The counter staff is taking a lot of abuse because no one from management is there. They are blaming the storm 3 days ago for the problem but the reality is that they had no contingency plan to deal with a snow storm. All their flights are being cancelled because they don’t have flight attendants for the flights.

• Posted by DSR on December 29, 2010 at 9:47 am

I was booked on a flight to Denver on Sunday (Dec 26) night that was cancelled. This was obviously weather related – the storm was still raging at the time. I rebooked for Tuesday night – 36 hours after the snow stopped falling, and I was cancelled AGAIN. I called to rebook and the JetBlue agent was not helpful. By that point the next available JetBlue flight was this Sunday night (Jan 2). JetBlue refused to rebook us on other airlines that had open seats on flights leaving Wednesday and Thursday. The JetBlue agent told me that because this was a “weather related” problem they had no responsibility to get me home. “Thanks for flying JetBlue, but basically you’re f*&ked.”

Look, on December 26 I was willing to accept the “weather related” excuse. But on December 28? By then the only reason planes were still being cancelled is shear incompetence. The weather had been clear and sunny for nearly two days. JetBlue and the Port Authority simply failed to get JFK runways open and flights operating normally. IN THIS TYPE OF EVENT WHY CAN’T JET BLUE JUST START REBOOKING CUSTOMERS ON OTHER AIRLINES? Other airlines will do that when flights are cancelled. Because JetBlue won’t I’m stuck in NY incurring hundreds of dollars in costs for a hotel room (plus parking and dog kennel costs back home) because JetBlue screwed up.

• Posted by Amanda on December 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

I understand that you’re swamped with phone calls and trying to get your airline running again, but I haven’t even gotten a notification that my flight (departing in about an hour) is cancelled. The status checker says it is, so I assume that’s true, but no email, no automatic phone call, nothing. And, as you know, your phone lines are jammed, so that’s no help. The worst part is that I’ve been able to book a flight on another airline, but I can’t cancel my flight online or even find out what kind of refund I’d receive, so I can’t book the next flight yet.

Weather happens – I understand that. However, this is three years in a row that JetBlue has left me stranded at the holidays and each year the customer service is worse. I prefer JetBlue to other airlines, but you’ve been consistently unable to actually fly me from one place to another when other airlines can.

• Posted by Michell D. on December 29, 2010 at 11:15 am

Unreal…It bothers me to know that some customers can be so rude. JB have been bending over backwards to accomadate and rebook all customers. Being a JB employee I’ve been at the airport for the past 2 days stuck and working to assist in getting customers where they need to be. I too haven’t seen my family or had a good nights rest. I’ve been yelled at and disrespected. Yet I’ve continued to do my job. Weather is very much uncontrollable. I understand the frustration, but please keep in mind that the agents trying to assist you , have feelings too.

• Posted by Amalia Vega (disgruntled girlfriend) on December 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

Hi JetBlue,

First of all, let me say I absolutetly love you as an airline, but today I’m a little angry/disappointed because you had to cancel my boyfriend’s flight from Fort Lauderdale to Santo Domingo. I understand that these things happen, but now he tells me that he’s calling your phone lines and you have a message running asking people to call back later due to the high call volumes.

I didn’t get to spend the holidays with him so it was very important for me that he be able to get home for New Years, now I’m not sure that will happen. All I ask is for is for service, because I know you’re a great airline that has proven to be excellent through the years that I’ve traveled with you. The issue is that apart from your toll free number you don’t really have a way to accommodate your customers, and you advise against just “showing up” at the airport, so I’d be very thankful if you can point me in the right direction so I can give him some tips in figuring all this out.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays/new year =)

Amalia Vega

• Posted by JetBlue on December 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hi Amanda,

We’re sorry for your troubles. Our flight status should be pretty accurate, but our automated notification system for alerting customers of canceled flights unfortunately only works if we have some advanced notice. Because of the nature of this weather event and its ripple effect, cancellations that occur close to the departure time do not work with the notifications system.

Thank you for your patience!

• Posted by Amanda on December 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for responding, but the flight status was updated online at least an hour before I received my cancellation email. Again, I understand how serious the storm was and how chaotic everything must be, but it seems like JetBlue is always more affected by these kinds of events than other airlines. Like I said, I love the experience of flying JetBlue, and I’ll continue using your airline for recreational travel, but when it’s crucial for me to arrive somewhere on time (or with as few delays as possible, under unusual circumstances), I just can’t count on JetBlue to be able to deliver.

• Posted by Brian on December 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Just curious — what is your average phone wait-time? I held for over 3.5 hours this morning and never connected to anyone. I know ya’ll are working hard, but it’s rather frustrating to see flights I could be rebooked on going out while I’m still on hold!

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Hell JB,

I’ve posted a few comments and they are still “awaiting moderation.” Why is that?

Bob

• Posted by JetBlue on December 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Sorry Brian! Don’t think we have figures handy on that. Thank you for your patience and please know we’re doing all that we can to help!

• Posted by JetBlue on December 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hi Bob,

We will not approve comments attacking individual Crewmembers.

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Jetblue continues to fail ALL of their customers. They are continuing to cancel flights 4 days after the snow storm. For the record I just book a flight on Continental to get me back to NYC TODAY! I’ll be sending the bill to my Jetblue and my attorney!!!!

• Posted by David V on December 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm

if you call in press 2 as soon as you hear the message it gets you into the que. i am going to miss my newyears plans in vegas thanks to this whole mess but hey whatever i just pushed my trip back a few days at this point it does not matter.

• Posted by Britnee on December 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm

First of all, the ability to be able to walk onto and airplane and fly at tremendous speeds to go to a destination hundreds of miles away is a PRIVILEGE!!! Let’s not forget how lucky we are to have advanced to this day and age where you can just “hop” onto a plane and fly across a country in a matter of hours. Everything is amazing and still – no one is happy.

Weather happens, and part of air travel – THIS happens. As a Jetblue Customer Service representative working for 4 days straight – I have lost all faith in humanity after talking to the people I did and reading all this nonsense. I wasn’t stranded anywhere, but as soon as help was needed…I started working.

On Christmas Day I spent 16 hours sitting at home by myself taking YOUR phone calls to get you home so you could be with you family. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I worked 12 hours of overtime everyday, once again, to get you all home to where you needed to be. I didn’t get a Christmas. I didn’t even get to see my family. I voluntarily worked to help our customers.

Why?? Because each person who works for Jetblue works for Jetblue for a reason. We are committed to this company and wouldn’t want it any other way. We believe in Jetblue’s values and commitment to you – the customer.

I’m ashamed at the selfish reaction that some people are taking on this matter! This has affected over 200,000 people in 4 days! I had people willing calling me for days giving up their seat because they were able to make arrangements to stay longer. How amazing is that?? Those are the customers that make this airline the way it is.

For those of you complaining that we should put more employees on the phones to help the high call volume – let me tell you this. We ALL jumped in and spent countless extra hours of overtime worked as hard and as long as we possibly could. No one could ever imagine what we all did to help all of you out.

Before everyone goes off on Jetblue pointing fingers where no blame is to be taken, make sure you understand what is REALLY going on. As other people have mentioned there are dozen of behind the scenes factors that go far beyond just the “snow”.

For the hundreds of people I spoke to that were appreciative, nice, and thanked me for my service – YOU are so welcome.

Jetblue will continue to have the same great reputation we have earned. This whole event has been very unfortunate. But that is what separates Jetblue from the rest of the pack.

We pick ourselves up, learn, and strive to be even better than before.

I’m so proud to be apart of this company, and love the customers who will stick by us – through the good, the bad, and the ugly blizzard IROP of 2010.

• Posted by Josh on December 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Two words: Virgin America.

Thank you, JB, for completely screwing me over, and then having your CSR argue with me about a refund. Are you kidding? You cancel my SFO flight within two hours of departure and you are trying to argue? Get real.

I was lucky, I was in SFO, where Virgin America stepped up to the plate and took care of me. Remember how you used to take care of your customers JB?

• Posted by Stephanie on December 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Will you consider doing a post about how amazing our customers are? As an AO crewmember @ JFK I was blessed by the good nature and kindness of our wonderful folks over and over again during this IROP.

If you can, please tell them that if they don’t already know it, we LOVE our customers. They not only understand that we are at the mercy of the weather but that we’re at the mercy of the Port Authority, NYC, etc. and just the plain old limitations of how many hours a human being can work without food or sleep. They understand that many crewmembers are stranded at the airport just as they are because they can’t get to their cars and can’t get public transportation just like everyone else. And that we might be short on staff because others are stranded in their homes on ‘secondary and tertiary streets’ that four days later still are not plowed so they can’t come in to support the operation.

We are moved almost to tears when a customer comes over and hands us a cold water, a sandwich, a lip balm, a tube of lotion or best of all in my book – a hug or smile.

Customers, God bless you all! We love you.

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Obviously the customer reps that are responding on this blog are taking the consumer scrutiny as a personal attack on them. That is far from the point and well above your paid grade. Please understand that these responses are based on the repeated poor handling of difficult situations by SENIOR MANAGEMENT at Jetblue NOT the consumer service reps and counter staff that are taking all the abuse for SENIOR MANAGEMENT’S inability to EFFECTIVELY MANAGE this That’s why there have been changes in the past few years with Jetblue’s senior management. Jetblue’s customer service was exceptional and was what set them apart. Now their customer service is at the bare minimum. It’s very unfortunate because up until now I choose to fly on Jetblue if they flew to my destinations. After several horrible experiences with Jetblue I have lost confidence in them as a company. I had to spend $400 of dollars to get another 1 way flight on Continental because Jetblue was saying that the earliest that I would be able to get back to NYC was January 4th. That is unacceptable and unfair. Jetblue step up and take responsibility for your short comings!

• Posted by Sue Brooks on December 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Horrific customer support by Jet Blue, who did not answer their phones for 48 hours, and then left customers waiting for hours. Their behavior WAS unacceptable. I was told that I could not get back to Florida for 5 days after the blizzard. I was left stranded at JFK after standing for 4 hours awaiting some answer. I called the other carriers, and they all answered my questions promptly.
    Jet Blue cannot handle a crisis situation.!!!!

Sue

• Posted by Bob Jope on December 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Let’s make January 2011 boycott Jetblue month! That will fix the problem with Senior management!!!

• Posted by Denise on December 31, 2010 at 2:36 am

Just wondering how the conditions are at JFK. After spending 12 hrs entertaning a 3 year old on tuesday, I’m warry of what sunday will bring

• Posted by peach on January 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

Here’s a clever idea of how to “dig yourself out,” JetBlue – you might want to take notes: DON’T CANCEL FLIGHTS FROM FT. LAUDERDALE TO SAN FRANCISCO AN HOUR BEFORE DEPARTURE AND THEN BLAME IT ON A LACK OF CREW FROM THE BLIZZARD 5 DAYS AGO. If you truly had an issue with “displaced crews” as you claim, you wouldn’t have canceled the flight an hour before – you would have known many hours, if not days before. Screw you, JetBlue. I feel bad for your airport employees who have been dealing with the brunt of this situation – I will say in their defense, they were all as friendly, and courteous as they could be in this situation, and I feel bad that they have to deal with this problem because senior management is completely incompetent.

• Posted by Sue Brooks on January 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Agree with the boycott idea. I may boycott them for one year.
    Sue

• Posted by Sue Brooks on January 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Question for Jet Blue:

Why was it impossible to get through on your phone lines for 4 days?”?
    Why did the other carriers answer their phones (I called almost all of them). Why did US Airways allow me to change my ticket online and you didn’t (I was going on another leg of a trip).
    Why did Air Tran and Frontier handle getting my friends flights out of the East Coast and you didn’t?

I take Jet Blue twice a month from NY to Boston. They are usually a great airline, on time, very courteous, nice airplanes. However, customer service STANK at Jet Blue this winter.

• Posted by L Kole on January 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I thought I was doing the right thing, switching from my primary airline where I have Platinum status, and taking a direct flight to from JFK to Dominican Republic with Jetblue. I have never regretted an airline decision more in my life. On Saturday night I got online and saw that Jetblue was waiving change fees so I switched my Monday afternoon flight to Tuesday and incurred the additional night’s stay for my family of four, thinking I would be ahead of the game, having confirmed seats- boy was I wrong.
    My flight back to JFK was cancelled after a 4 hour delay and right after the incoming plane arrived. Jetblue was kind enough to bus all of us to a hotel where a Jetblue rep told us they were taking all our room numbers and will call us to tell us when we can reboard the plane that was sitting on the runway. That is the last time I ever heard from anyone at Jetblue. I was in a foreign country in a hotel with no wireless and was told when I called 800-JETBLUE that I could not hold for a service rep. I WAS STRANDED! It was Wednesday and people that had been on my original Monday fight were still trying to get a flight out. I was told that Jetblue could fly my family out on Saturday! This meant 3 extra nights in a hotel that would no longer honor the Jetblue rate and wanted to charge me $1000 a night for my family to stay at their establishment.
    Feeling helpless and not being able to talk to Jetblue, I called Delta and they flew my family out THAT AFTERNOON, on time. Needing to get home ASAP I spent $5,000 in tickets with an airline that was available with a service rep on the phone and got me out of the country.
    My job requires me to fly over 150,000 miles a year so I understand operational issues and weather delays happen. What is totally unacceptable is lack of communication, poor customer service and unmet commitments.
    I WILL NEVER FLY JETBLUE AGAIN.

• Posted by Jeff Anderson on January 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Over the last 3 years JetBlue has proven time and again its inability to be prepared for or properly address issues with severe weather delays. JetBlue made the conscious decision to make its East Coast hub at a notoriously difficult airport that see’s on average 2-3 major winter storms a year. You would think that in the last 3 years they would have put together systems and have them operational to reduce flyer stress and ease the inevitable. JetBlue there will be at least one major storm a year shutting down traffic in and out of the greater NYC area. Get on board with this.

My biggest gripe over what occurred over the holiday travel period was the difficulty in reaching someone to re-book the flight and the otter lack of information Jetblue was giving out. My story pales in comparison to most, however I feel that when these situations arrive Jetblue needs to put systems in place to automatically re-book on the absolute next available flight, have an effective answering service in place to explain what is going on and most of all hand out an olive branch to effected customers. Giving me a 25-50 dollar travel voucher without having to badger some low level supervisor to the point where he was stumbling over his own words does very little to let me know you care. Make it automatic.

I’ll continue to fly Jetblue in the happier months of the year, but from now on I will find other airlines who seem to cope better with weather related issues in the winter months. They’ve had years to correct issues and so far haven’t done so.

Jeff

• Posted by Sammie on January 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

Schedule to fly out on December 30 and connect in JFK an hour after first leg of the trip. When we arrived in JFK the flight attendant informed passengers of connecting flight gates and also informed of one flight cancellation which was ours to New Orleans. First of all, why were we not informed of the cancellation at check-in time at our first destination 3 hours prior to landing in JFK? Why let passengers get on a flight to JFK when the connecting flight to final destination is canceled? After standing in line for 2 1/2 hours and unsuccessful phone calls to Jet Blue, we were told no flights available until January 4! The customer service rep did not even look at the computer to check!! At least check to see if there are available flights before you say no! There was a flight out later that day to MSY, but was all booked up. Then after finally reaching a rep on the phone 5 hours later we were re-booked to the closest airport with flights available the next day, but we would have to drive 10 hours to home after we got there. When we got to our hotel that night, we looked online at Jet Blue and found a flight leaving out Jan 1 that had available seats. Why is it that we can find a flight sooner and to our destination via website that is 3 days earlier than what the desk customer service rep and the phone rep originally tells us (Jan 4)? My biggest complaint is that we had a nice free place to stay in northern New York and checked connecting flight status prior to boarding that plane to JFK only to have it canceled. Not sure if it was canceled while we were in the air to JFK, which was an hour flight or if the computer system just didn’t get up to speed fast enough. So we had to spend $800 to stay in a hotel for 2 nights in JFK. One plus to it is that we were able to see NYC. Other than all the above, I would still fly Jet Blue because our flights on Dec 20 went smooth and on time, a lot of leg room, free 1st checked bag, variety of snacks, no lost luggage, and the reps were friendly except that one at the JFK customer service desk, gate 9, on Dec 30.

Also the JFK airport should put in extra security cautions during a time like that one. We were approached by several people claiming to have been stuck there for 4 days, with babies, sleeping on the airport floor, having their wallet stolen. Sounds like beggars to me. Luckily I’m smart enough to recognize a scam, especially when their story does not add up or keeps changing person to person. I had my toddler with me and I just felt the airport was a little unsafe for parents traveling with children.