December 27, 2010

Winter weather can be a real pain in the reindeer bottom

Image courtesy of Dan Santry

You’ve finally finished digesting Mom’s holiday dinner, or you’re sufficiently fried on that beautiful Caribbean beach and it’s time to get back to reality, only you can’t because Santa or Mother Nature (or some equally inconsiderate entity – one running theory is that Mother Nature is a drag queen suitably named Gusty Winds) decided to dump more than foot of snow on the entire Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region. Snowicane or snOMG or snowpocolypse – whatever you call it, it’s a real pain in the reindeer bottom for everyone.

We know it’s frustrating that you can’t get from point A to point B right now because airports are have been closed since last night and may remain closed throughout a good portion of today. The bottom line is that safety comes first. With winds blowing at 50 miles per hour and wet snow – and therefore icy – it’s just not safe to operate. We know you may be looking out your window in sunny Denver or hot Montego Bay and it’s difficult to imagine why flights are cancelled. Even in New York or Boston, you may have a pile of snow on your windowsill but don’t see additional snow coming down and you wonder why planes have not started flying again yet.

There are three main components to operating in these conditions:  airport readiness, aircraft readiness, and crew availability.  Right now, most of the airports in the Northeast are closed.  The runways and gates aren’t clear, and the weather conditions are still what we call “below safe operating conditions.”

Aircraft readiness is in the same boat.  The aircraft that sat overnight in the Northeast are iced up, so we have to spray them with de-icing fluid until they’re ready to go.  It can take 15-20 minutes for a regular de-icing (when there’s just a dusting of snow).  When an inch or more of ice has built up on the wings, de-icing can take much longer.  So even when the airport environment is open for business, airlines still have to de-ice their fleets.

And finally, crew availability is the final piece of the puzzle.  Flights may be canceled due to crew availability even after the airports and aircraft are ready to go because flight crews have strict duty periods and they have to rest. More on crews and weather cancellations here. Today, though, we’re also dealing with closed runways, roads that are barely passable, and trains and buses that are not running. In many cases, conditions are not safe for our Crewmembers or our Customers to get to the airports (where it’s even possible).

We’re doing our very best to ensure that we plan for a swift and safe return to operations just as soon as we’re able. And we’re offering fee waivers for rebooking in the meantime. Stay warm and indoors if you’re able and we’ll keep you updated.

Posted by in Breaking News, Customers | Permalink | 64 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

64 Comments on “Winter weather can be a real pain in the reindeer bottom”

• Posted by Leslie G on December 27, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love you anyway!!

• Posted by Richard marchi on December 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

Your posting incorrectly says that most airports in the northeast are closed. Please stop maligning airports. as of 10:00 AM, only JFK, LGA, EWR and TEB are closed. All other major airports in the Northeast are open. The fact that your hub is closed and your equipment and crews are unavailable is a Jet Blue problem, not an airport problem.

Fess up!

• Posted by Judith A.Wayne on December 27, 2010 at 10:14 am

Awesome update. Other carriers should take a lesson from you. Thanks, JetBlue!

• Posted by Jeffrey on December 27, 2010 at 10:48 am

Flight got cancelled going to JFK from MCO, yesterday.. Got rebooked for thursday, wish it could be sooner.. Need to see my daughter from FL!!!!!

• Posted by Derek on December 27, 2010 at 11:40 am

Seeing online that flights out of Hartford to FLL are cancelled. But no email advisory of this, as promised by jetblue.com. Can’t get through on phone:
    2 questions:
    1. Is there a chance a cancelled flight will be reinstated? ie is it worth going to the airport?

2. If cancelled, are seats automatically booked on next flight out?

• Posted by Ruth LaForgia on December 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm

need to get the people in syracuse to NYC JFK is opening at 4pm why are there no flights till friday. You should have know better to let the flights take off to begin with. I have a child trapped in Syracuse, NY. No to happy with the plans.

• Posted by Ruth LaForgia on December 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm

need to get the people in syracuse to NYC JFK is opening at 4pm why are there no flights till friday. You should have know better to let the flights take off to begin with. I have a child trapped in Syracuse, NY. Not to happy with the plans.

• Posted by JetBlue on December 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi Derek,

You can check the status of your flight at: http://www.jetblue.com/flightstatus/. If your flight has been cancelled, you can rebook at no additional cost by calling our Customer Support Team at 1-800-JETBLUE.

• Posted by Rob on December 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

It’s unfortunate that JetBlue has to cancel so many flight so far in advance. BOS will be up and running TODAY and yet flights out of BOS are canceled for Tuesday.

This is the only airline acting in such a manner right now.

• Posted by Melissa on December 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

@jeffrey – wish I could switch flights with you. I can’t chance it to take my mum to the airport in the snow with a newborn and she has a flight tomorrow night JFK to MCO.

• Posted by Keith on December 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’ve called at least 20 times and the JetBlue phone system says its busy and hangs up. Dear JetBlue, what are we supposed to do?

• Posted by Alex on December 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm

It is amazing…JetBlue tries to explain and they just get more people complaining. Just because BOS is officially open, doesn’t mean that conditions of planes and gates are good. It just means they have runways clear and enough taxiways clear. Now airlines need to get planes and crews but organizing that mess is going to be a miracle.

Ruth, your common sense is not the airlines problem. There were plenty of warnings about this storm and travel repercussions. If you knew you would need your child to get back, you shouldn’t have sent them in the first place.

Rob, read the write up again…having airports operating normally is only part of the battle and other airlines are in fact cancelling flights until midweek.

• Posted by Alex on December 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm

To annoyed travelers: another thing to remember is that with a blizzard comes high winds a low visibility. Airlines all have minimum safe standards…if the winds are too high or visibility too low, the airline isn’t going to operate in unsafe conditions, even if the airport is open for business.

• Posted by Jon on December 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I don’t mind that the flight was cancelled, but i have been calling non-stop since 10am EST this morning and still haven’t been able to get through to re-book my flight. Kind of make offering rebooking and fee waivers worthless if we can’t get through to your reservations people to use them…

• Posted by JetBlue on December 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Hi Keith,

Our apologies for the inconvenience. I will pass your information along to our Customer Commitment Team, but please keep in mind that the volume of inquiries is still very high right now. We will help you!

Thanks for your patience!

• Posted by twoflightscancelled on December 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Stop blaming airport cancellations or the weather when it is your lack of aircraft/crews that is the problem. We know that a weather related cancelation means you don’t have to voucher passengers, but you’re unwillingness to re-route planes and/or reschedule flights is infuriating, and your sheer lack of communication (no updates from airport, email/voicemail notification failure, and the closing of your phonelines) is inexcusable. We have now had two flights out of Boston cancelled while the runways were open and other flights departing, and zero assistance from JetBlue.

• Posted by JetBlue on December 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hi Joseph,

I’ve passed your information along to our Customer Commitment Team. We will help you!

• Posted by CharleyM on December 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm

What in the world happened on that JetBlue flight from Bermuda to JFK last night? Six hours in the air – is that possible?

• Posted by Pam Gold on December 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I need to vent that I think it is ridiculous the way you “thinned” out flights on Sunday well in advance of the storm hitting. We were supposed to be landing in Jamaica before the snow even started to fall. Flights weren’t even delayed in the slightest when we were supposed to be traveling. Now we are stuck for days and lost our entire vacation. Very sad for our family and unnecessary.

• Posted by Carolyn Sealy on December 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I am also so hurt right now, I have been trying to call and no answer, the only flights available are not until friday night. I am deperately trying to get to Charlotte and dont know what to do. please help my confirmation number is HYZMKH.

• Posted by charlene abreu on December 27, 2010 at 5:23 pm

After 2 days of non stop calling and tweeting without success….can you help a girl out? ConF# JMAPRA …to reschedule cancelled flight. The only chance I get to hold is after midnight and yet still no answer. PLEASE HELP JETBLUE!

• Posted by Angela on December 27, 2010 at 5:25 pm

We have been trying to call the customer support since 8 am and there still is no answer. Is there any other way we can rebook my father in law’s flight from FL to NY?

• Posted by Joy on December 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

While I appreciate Jet Blue having this blog, many of the other posters have it right: the website says that I need to call to rebook my cancelled flight but I’ve been calling every fifteen minutes since 12PM and I can’t get through, I can’t stay on hold, and I’m told to call back. Will I be rebooked on a flight? Should I cancel my hotel reservations for the 30th at my destination? Should I got to work tomorrow? I need to make decisions about my plans but I can’t because I can’t get any information from Jet Blue. If there were a statement on the website telling us what happens when a flight is cancelled that would be helpful. We’re all calling and none of us seem to be getting through.

• Posted by JetBlue on December 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Dear Valued Readers and Customers,

We’re so sorry for the inconveniences you’ve experienced as a result of the snowstorm. Please be assured that we’re doing everything we can to reaccommodate everyone. I have personally forwarded all of your concerns here to our Customer Commitment Team and someone will get in touch with you. We will make sure that everyone is taken care of. Thank you for your patience!

• Posted by dani on December 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm

What in world am i supposed to do if Jetblue doesnt answer their phones, I hope you guys plan on putting up new flights for the next few days bec too many peoples flights are cancelled and people are stranded all over the country. Giving the people an option to book an upcoming flight doesnt make sense considering the fact theres 1000s of people trying to get on flights over the next few days which are booked to the limit already. Please tell jetblue to update their main web page with instructions for us instead of their deals. We all know that Gods choice of weather isnt in your hands…but working around it in an maleficent matter is.

• Posted by Only1WithABRAIN on December 27, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I don’t know why everyone thinks that after a storm like this, as soon as the snow stops then “POOF” everything goes back to normal. This domino effect can go on for days after a storm this bad. I checked the weather a week ago and knew this storm was coming so what did I do? I didn’t fly anywhere because I didn’t want to get stranded. I’m so smart :) Yet alone, put my kid on a plane smh ….. keep up the good work JetBlue, your the only airline tweeting anyway, I think American tweeted once yesterday.

• Posted by Dennis on December 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Same problem here. I have been trying to contact your 800 number and emailing since yesterday but no positive response. We need more information on what to do next as far as rescheduling our canceled flight is concerned. There are certain important decisions we also have to make and we would appreciate it very much if jet blue would inform us what to do next.
    Confirmation number LQRXQN.
    Thank you.

• Posted by JetBlue on December 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Hi Dennis,

I’ve forwarded your concern to our Customer Commitment Team, and someone will get in touch with you as soon as possible. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

• Posted by KATELYN VITKOS on December 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm

conf. pprnxp. PLEASE CAN U HAVE SOMEONE CALL ME!!!! IVE BEEN CALLING ALL DAY

• Posted by pjs on December 27, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Several Points to mention:

**During a major event (or IROP) it would have been beneficial to customers to update the Jetblue homepage with instructions and tips for rerouting travel. There’s a small note at the top, but given that most web traffic directed to the site is from people trying to rebook, the site is not fulfilling the needs of the target audience.

**More customer service reps need to be added during an event like this. Jetblue should pay out overtime and bring other support staff to the phone lines. Also, a system to automatically email/text/call customers with updates needs to be put in place.

**In regards to adding unscheduled flights to meet the demand, that’s probably unrealistic, given the number of planes and crews available. The airlines are running with very little extra capacity. It’s more profitable during good weather, but can bite back during irops. The major airlines have significantly larger fleets and crews, and therefore tend to have an easier time picking up extra demand after a storm.

**In regards to advanced cancellations before the storm started… This was needed so fleets/crews wouldn’t get stranded at their destinations. Equipment needs to be in the most efficient position when the storm clears.

• Posted by Kate on December 28, 2010 at 1:18 am

My flight out of Boston has now been canceled, twice! My flight is randomly canceled in the middle of the day on Tuesday, despite the fact that all of the other flights on Tuesday (including many earlier in the morning, before mine) are still “on time.” Mine is the only one listed as “canceled.” In both instances when my flight was canceled, I received no email, no text message, no phone call, nothing — I found out about the change only by logging on to the website (although obviously I provided Jet Blue with all my contact info — I very frequently receive text message updates from all of the other airlines I travel with). I have called customer service about 15 times — most times I just get an automated message telling me that they cannot handle my call (then the call hangs up automatically). When I finally got through, it was only after waiting on hold for 60 minutes, only to be told that there are no other flights until _next Wednesday_. That is in 8 days. The representative then helpfully suggested that I just book another flight with a different airline, since many of them have lots of free seats out of Boston in the next few days. I pointed out that these flights are now so last-minute that they cost thousands of dollars. This experience has really soured me to Jet Blue which for the past several years has been one of my favorites, especially for trips to California.

• Posted by Mollie on December 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

Why are flights cancelled on TUESDAY DEC 28 when all airports in the Northeast are open. I have been on hold for well over an hour (which I know is short , but I’ve just started). My flight leaves this afternoon, I was able to check in then a received an e-mail overnight that flight was cancelled, with no info as to how to re-book except waiting on the phone. This is unacceptable. At least give me a code to use to re-book online. It is almost 2011, I should not have to go to the airport or sit onthe phone for hours to re-book a flight that has no reason to be cancelled!

• Posted by Ken Gordon on December 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

Why do people complain AFTER the snow storm instead of being proactive before the storm?

I woke up Saturday morning in Ft. Lauderdale to the news of a major blizzard about to hit the Northeast on Sunday. I had a Sunday Evening flight. I called Jet Blue to see if I could leave Saturday night instead. To my surprise they had dozens of extra seats available. I changed my ticket, left at 8:20pm on Saturday, and was at my home by 11:45pm Saturday night.

The great thing about technology is that we can actual predict weather 24 to 36 hours in advance with much accuracy. I don’t feel sorry for the people that didn’t try to at least change their flight before hand. All you had to do is go to weather.com, check the forecast and pick up the phone to call JetBlue. Thank you JetBlue for accomodating me

• Posted by Wanda ORENCH on December 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

I dont think airlines are here to fly in unsafe condition.Good job JETBLUE for making safety a priority

• Posted by Brian on December 28, 2010 at 11:45 am

I got the automated call this morning telling me my flight today from AUS to JFK (confirmation no. EEOXCX) was canceled and inviting me to stay on the line to rebook. I stayed on the line and heard… nothing, and more nothing. Finally I hung up. That was a mistake. Now there is no way into the system to rebook. I understand that the system is convulsing because of this storm and that delays are expected. But! Not being able to do anything, or to know what to do, is wildly frustrating.

• Posted by Laury on December 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I have been trying to contact jetblue for 2 days. I am unable to change flight online and repeated frequent phonecalls go unanswered or the jetblue phone hangs up. Am I going to get stuck paying for a flight i can’t get to from connecticut? Confirmation #JPKIRA

• Posted by Lanie on December 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm

My frustration is that we’re told that we’re supposed to reschedule before scheduled departure, but it is impossible to get through on phone.

1) Is there any way we could reschedule or cancel online, and get refund/credit after the fact (due to high call volume)?

2) If unable to get through on phone, will you still refund/reschedule after the flight has passed?

I’ve gotten to the point where I will need to make other travel arrangements (train/bus) so I can get to work, but would like to know whether there is any hope for a credit.

• Posted by Joshua Ballantine on December 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Joshua Ballantine

We were told three hours before our flight from JFK to STI flight 837 left that it would be canceled. Now, I can’t get a flight out until January 2nd even though I am willing to fly into other airports. Why does JetBlue refuse to fly their customers on other airlines if they cannot provide anything for a whole week! That is ridiculous. That is an airline error more than just a cause of the storm.

I cannot get a hold of any JetBlue representative on the phone. Is there another line to call?

I am flying for a business deal, and I will now surely lose the account because I miss an entire week.

Anyone who knows anything or how jetblue is re-compensating their customers, please let me know: joshballantine@hotmail.com

• Posted by Jetblue never again on December 28, 2010 at 6:10 pm

My brother with stage 4 cancer who is undergoing chemotherapy was supposed to fly down today and his flight from Newark for him and his family was showing as still on time as scheduled yesterday the 27th on the jetblue website flight status check so all indications were that it would be going okay as planned with the Newark airport open with other carriers flights leaving, and it was open today on the 28th except jetblue cancelled his flight for no apparent reason. (likely due to lack of readiness on jetblue’s part)

So we find out right before he is scheduled to leave that it’s in fact cancelled and there is noway to get in touch with anyone at jetblue whatsoever by phone no matter what option you pick or what phone number you call it just hangs up on you while trying to reach customer service and says call back later, I have even sent emails and no reply at all. We have called over and over and over, this is absolutely horrendous that people cannot even get in touch with the company to rebook or find out what the options if any are and there is noway to rebook anything online and it’s not showing any flights this week even being available.

I fully expect there to be an extensive class action lawsuit over this one for jetblue total misrepresenting the ability and option for customers to rebook flights and not even being able to deliver on that promise or taking our calls, i.e. Misrepresentation & Fraud. The impact this is having on everyone is close to not even being quantifiable and many plans are simply being ruined for the New Year.

My next phone calls & emails will be to several industry lawyers over this incident, because alot of snow or no snow jetblue simply dropped the ball here and I truly wish I had booked with Delta like usual and we would not be going through this. Confirmation – MEFOMG & BUUFJK

Thanks jetblue, for the NOT even present customer service that you don’t have when your customers really needed you most.

• Posted by James Powers on December 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Trying to get home to HPN after flight 598 was cancelled on 12/28. Will Jet Blue rebook us automatically?

• Posted by Sarah on December 28, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Come on, Jet Blue. It stopped snowing Monday and you’re already posting cancellations for Wednesday morning. It was sunny in NY today…. sunny… and still you cancelled everything form 8pm on. What’s going on?

You’re making it clear that you cannot be trusted to clean efficiently and promptly and you are not a proper carrier for winter months. Why do you have a hub at NY-JFK if you cannot run it properly days after a storm? Your clients are looking for a service, not for a run-around that ruins a vacation.

Please stop disappointing us.

• Posted by justin on December 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm

we were supposed to be on a flight to long beach, ca from oakland, ca. it has been canceled. we have been calling non-stop for an hour and they keep hanging up on me. how do we get someone to help us???

• Posted by tracy on December 29, 2010 at 12:05 am

U people complaining of the fact that Jetblue cannot fly planes due to “lack of crewa/planes” is ignorrant, but then again, the traveling public IS ignorant. When an airline (not just JB) have limited crews and planes it IS because crews are alloted a certain amount of time that they are legal to fly a plane…no crews legal to fly a planemeans not enough planes flying to carry all ur whiny asses….JB is TRYING to accomodate as many people as the 100 and 150 seat planes can carry…..but they can’t do it all in one day! you’re NOT being charged a fee and they are trying to rebook you, but if you are being a problem, the problem can’t be fixed…..have patience….GEESH!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted by tracy on December 29, 2010 at 12:08 am

Also, with only so many people working in Reservations and Customer support and triple the amount of weather- related strandings, it’s GOING to be AWHILE on the phone on hold….it’s frustrating, but c’mon!!! you’re not the ony person effected by it…just remember that……

• Posted by Kevin on December 29, 2010 at 12:13 am

I can understand my flight (641 from JFK to SFO) on Wednesday (2 days after the blizzard) being canceled. But how does Jetblue support a claim that I then can’t get another flight from JFK, LGA, or Boston to anywhere on the West Coast for over a week later. Are they adding any flights to remedy these issues? The answer appears to me no!

• Posted by Chuck on December 29, 2010 at 12:24 am

My flight from JFK to San Diego was cancelled today. I understand that the weather caused they problem. However I tried calling jetblue 3x before my flight, checked online, and it said it was “on time.” jetblue then decided to email me while I was in a cab on my way to the airport that it had been cancelled.

Why couldn’t they have told me and the other 300 passengers 4 hours prior to the flight? It is a great example that their notification system is not prepared for this type of event. They could have prevented all those passengers from going out in dangerous conditions by cancelling the flight a little earlier. No idea why they waited so long? Do they get a commission from the taxi company from having to take passengers to and from the airport in the same day?

Thanks for sending me out on icy roads and losing $120 in cab fare jetblue!

• Posted by sarah on December 29, 2010 at 1:12 am

How can people continue to blame the weather on Jetblue? The weather predicted this HUGE storm now people complain after it hits?? Be proactive, I was.

• Posted by PAUL on December 29, 2010 at 1:46 am

flight 181 canceled no email no notification, been on hold for over 2hrs, weather can not be controlled but customers showed be informed do i rebook with another airline will i receive a refund, this seems like a bad game of dominoes how can this have such a ripple effect? are you going to push peoples travel back on the 30th, 31st 1st how is this working. The storm has come and just as the gentlemen said in regards to technology shouldn’t the airlines been prepared for this. by increasing staff this is ridiculous hope people don’t lose their jobs over this. we need a flight ASAP

• Posted by Stewie on December 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm

BTW JFK was closed out of concern for airline customers and employees (safety 1st). All airlines were affected by the weather – to all of the complainers stop whining. I wonder what the whiners would do if they had to deal with this issue (bet they couldn’t handle it).

• Posted by Chris on December 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

JetBlue is still the best airline I have ever flown. Still, a major snowstorm will throw a wrench into anyones operation. People are making out to be that JetBlue wanted to cancel flights and strand thousands. JetBlue doesn’t have a personal vendetta against its customers, it continues to treat customer 100 times better than the legacy carriers. Unfortunately winter happens, but I think JetBlue did as good as they could have in this situation. What do you think is going to happen when you get two FEET of snow dumped on NY, near white-out conditions, and wind gusts up to 50-60 mph? Good job JetBlue we still love you

• Posted by Britnee on December 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm

First of all, the ability to be able to walk onto and airplane and fly at tremendous speeds to go to a destination hundreds of miles away is a PRIVILEGE!!! Let’s not forget how lucky we are to have advanced to this day and age where you can just “hop” onto a plane and fly across a country in a matter of hours. Everything is amazing and still – no one is happy.

Weather happens, and part of air travel – THIS happens. As a Jetblue Customer Service representative working for 4 days straight – I have lost all faith in humanity after talking to the people I did and reading all this nonsense. I wasn’t stranded anywhere, but as soon as help was needed…I started working.

On Christmas Day I spent 16 hours sitting at home by myself taking YOUR phone calls to get you home so you could be with you family. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I worked 12 hours of overtime everyday, once again, to get you all home to where you needed to be. I didn’t get a Christmas. I didn’t even get to see my family. I voluntarily worked to help our customers.

Why??

Because each person who works for Jetblue works for Jetblue for a reason. We are committed to this company and wouldn’t want it any other way. We believe in Jetblue’s values and commitment to you – the customer.

I’m ashamed at the selfish reaction that some people are taking on this matter! This has affected over 200,000 people in 4 days! I had people willing calling me for days giving up their seat because they were able to make arrangements to stay longer. How amazing is that?? Those are the customers that make this airline the way it is.

For those of you complaining that we should put more employees on the phones to help the high call volume – let me tell you this. We ALL jumped in and spent countless extra hours of overtime worked as hard and as long as we possibly could. No one could ever imagine what we all did to help all of you out.

Before everyone goes off on Jetblue pointing fingers where no blame is to be taken, make sure you understand what is REALLY going on. As other people have mentioned there are dozen of behind the scenes factors that go far beyond just the “snow”.

For the hundreds of people I spoke to that were appreciative, nice, and thanked me for my service – YOU are so welcome.

Jetblue will continue to have the same great reputation we have earned. This whole event has been very unfortunate. But that is what separates Jetblue from the rest of the pack.

We pick ourselves up, learn, and strive to be even better than before.

I’m so proud to be apart of this company, and love the customers who will stick by us – through the good, the bad, and the ugly blizzard IROP of 2010.

• Posted by Precious on December 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I am so disappointed in jetblue. They kept stringing us along from 9: 00am until 6;30pm about flt2 being delayed and finally canceling the flt at 6: 30pm leaving us totally stranded and ruining all vacation plans to fly for the next 5days. I could understand if they could let us fly the next day; but no fl;ights until after January 4th is ridiculous. I am so upset and disappointed. Jet blue has not done enough to address the problems caused by the blizzard. My flight was 2 days after the blizzard. I cant see why my flt was cancelled while other airlines have been making accommodations adding new flights for their customers and not leaving them stranded for 5days. Jet Blue’s inability to handle winter related problems and ruining any business / vacation plans for the next 5 business days is totally unacceptable.

• Posted by Andrew on December 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Stop blaming the weather! The storm was over days ago and the airports are running at full load. Jfk was receiving 80 flights an hour yesterday which is normal for them. You still cancelled my flight from RSW at 3:53 but 2 later flights left. You are handling this storm about as well as NYC at handling snow removal. Tell the truth – you know you blame the weather to keep from compensating people for your inefficient operations. Reimburse us for canceled flights and get your act together. Like February 07 you have lost a whole new group of customers. If you offered refunds perhaps people would fly with you again. And let’s get the facts straight – no other airline cancelled as many flights as you. This is a Jetblue problem not a snOMG.

• Posted by Stewie on December 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Wake up people and get yor facts straight there were other airlines that cancelled flights for instance Delta: 300 flights Continental: 480 flights – etc – how is there customer service; not as helpful as JetBlue. And for the stringing along the FAA shut down the airport out of regard for people’s safety. Don’t even compare JetBlue to NYC snow removal or 2007 – people gave up their holidays to help you the customers and for the ones that are ungrateful that’s too bad and you are selfish. For the customers who do understand we’re happy to fly with you.

• Posted by frank on December 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Jet Blue, you need to get your act together. My flight out of Westchester County Airport was status go for today. E-mail was sent and called last night to confirm. Same a go. Went to airport this morning flight 1205 canceled ticket agent didn’t even know until I mentioned to him look at the flight board. To reschedule, could not even print a ticket off for my wife and me, wrote the flight on paper. Went home advised to go on your web page jetblue.com/speakup. Wrote about problem no one knowing reason for flight being canceled. And why flight 1205 canceld three times this week. All other flights Jet Blue to Florida were on schedule. Reply back from Jet Blue reads, safety first weather conditions decide cancelations and that was the reason. So then why did flight go out from terminal to Fl. that are Jet Blue flights today. Weather Fl. was fine no blizzards there. Terrible excuse when you are flying other flights out to the same state. Just admit that you are falling apart and have gotten to big not able to control your business as you once did. And, refused to compensate us for the cancelation and cost of hiring car to airport and back home. First flight out of HPN Monday 3PM, thank you for being reliable wake up and fly right. Frank

• Posted by Howard Siegal on December 30, 2010 at 6:54 pm

No other airline has done as poorly as JetBlue in getting back on track. I like JetBlue, I fly on it all the time. But today is Thursday, the storm ended Monday. Yes, the NYC airports were not in great shape on Tuesday. But JetBlue is still canceling tons of flights, and others are seriously delayed. At some point (THREE DAYS AFTER THE STORM MIGHT BE A GOOD TIME) JetBlue needs to take responsibility. They do not get reorganized well after storms. It will be difficult to continue to use this airline as my primary.
    Southwest, same type of footprint has bounced back much much much better. Delta, bounced back better. The others are not even close. JetBlue just needs to do better. And, that is not even getting into the non existent customer service, and the non sensical messages on the website. (Gee, no fees to rescheule your canceled flights, big deal, there are no other flights!)

• Posted by Josh on December 31, 2010 at 10:55 am

The way Jet Blue has handled this situation my only hope is that they go bankrupt. There should be plans in place for snowstorms (backup crews etc). The best statement we all can make is to never book another flight with them.

• Posted by Barbara Not-Buying-It on December 31, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Yep. My flight out of Boston was canceled on Wednesday; the same flight flew on Tuesday. That can’t be blamed on the weather. I was not offered anything else until January 7th – no offer of a seat on a competitor’s plane, even though I was able to find flights – at high cost. The refund I’ve been offered so far has been only for the return leg. I think that I should be reimbursed for at least the full round trip fair, if not the cost of my replacement ticket.

• Posted by John on January 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm

The worst part was that even 36 hours after the last snow in the northeast, JetBlue couldn’t figure out how to get a crew and plane available in florida to fly to washington both having good weather, and couldn’t figure out before 10PM that they were going to have to cancel the flight scheduled to leave several hours earlier, and couldn’t even provide enough counter help to process the hundreds of frustrated travelers stuck there because of JetBlue’s incompetence in scheduling crew. We spent an extra $1700 to get home, and JetBlue’s attitude was “we don’t care at all”. Unless Jetblue does something to try to make us whole again, I will NEVER use them again.

• Posted by Joseph H. Albert on January 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

We were booked to leave Cancun on Tuesday December 28 for Boiston. I checked the website and flight was on itime. 35 minute ride to airport, waited in line, checked in and went to gate. Flight was posted “on time”. Subsequently we were told slight delay “waiting for pilots”. This stretched for hours and finally you cancelled the flighrt. There was chaos as people were at the counter very angry with being strung along. The person at the counter was not very organized and his English left much to be desired. They had to give us back our customs forms so we could leave Mexico when we got another flight. There was no help form Jet Blue as to new flight bookings, where to stay while we wiated it out, no meal money. I met people who were totally lost, not much money and no guidance from Jet Blue. It was another of Jet Blue’s disasters for which it was unprepared to handle. Certianly you gate people shoul be better trained and you need to have a plan to help your customers. Here we are in a foreign country, dont speak the language and don’t know what to do. I knew what to do, I called another airline and booked out the next day. I needed a phone that worked in Mexico to do this. I also ofund a person who helped me get a hotel room. I met a couple with 3 children and the husband was on crutches. This was Tuesday, they didn’t expect to get out till Sunday. Changing flight would have cost them an additional $3,000. As it was they had to pay for all the nights in a hotel room plus food.

Over all this was a disaster for whichJet Blue could have been better preprared. I have been flying for close to 50 years and the airlines would arrange your hotel, give youu food vouchers and provide transportation. Why can’t Jet Blue do this? I would imagine the number of passeners for whom you do this would be miniscule compare to your overall passenger accocunt.

Joseph H. Albert – joealbert@verizon.net

• Posted by Marianne Winstanley on March 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Flying home on Thursday, Mar. 3rd from Orlando to White Plains, we were very annoyed that it took us almost an hour to check in at curbside express. There was only one person checking us in, it’s a $4 fee and they had to log in everyone’s credit card which was very time consuming, but we did make the flight.
    Have never had this problem in the past with Jet Blue

• Posted by Travel News on January 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I like this site because so much utile stuff on here : D.

• Posted by Josette Wiebers on February 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I appreciate your piece of work, thanks for all the great articles .

• Posted by SEM marketing guide on March 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

Great post! We are linking to this great content on our site. Keep up the great writing.