June 28, 2010

You Can’t Make This Shtick Up: A Crabby Flight

As told by an Inflight Crewmember:

I was working the red-eye flight from SEA to JFK back a couple of years ago. The boarding process went as usual and we departed on time to JFK. Shortly into the flight a Customer rang the call button. I went to see what they needed and they pointed out that water was leaking from the overhead bin. I checked the vents and the surrounding area and couldn’t find the source of the leak. I informed the Captain who told me to keep an eye on it and to let him know if it gets worse. About 20 minutes after I first cleaned up the leak it started again. Still, nobody on the Crew could find where the water was coming from.

After we finished our first service I noticed a man in that same overhead bin pour water into

Image courtesy of Ryan H on Flickr

Image courtesy of Ryan H on Flickr

a duffle bag. I asked him what he was doing and he happily replied with a big smile on his face that “they like water”. “Who likes water sir?” was my response. He then proceeded to take his duffle bag down and opened it to show me his bag full of live soft shell crabs fresh from Seattle.

I called the Captain to let him know about the crab situation we were having in the back of the plane. He informed me that a bag of crabs was not issue enough to divert but that he would sent out an ACARS so that they may be able to get a priority landing in case they started to smell, or worse; that they might get loose. I suggested to him that the duffle bag be placed in a plastic garbage bag and the crabs ride in the flight deck for the remainder of the flight, and that is just what we did.

We were given priority landing into JFK and upon blocking into the gate the very cheerful Customer was given back his bag of crabs. How he got them on the plane in the first place we will never know.

Posted by in Crewmembers, Customers | Permalink | 8 Comments | Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter

8 Comments on “You Can’t Make This Shtick Up: A Crabby Flight”

• Posted by Shiree Dyson on June 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Nice story. Being from MD I totally get wanting to have fresh soft shell crabs.

• Posted by Amanda on June 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I once brought 2 live lobsters in a picnic basket from JFK to SFO. When our plane was delayed on on takeoff I made a comment that I hoped the lobsters made it ok. Before the end of the flight I had 5 people wanting to buy them from me.
    The lobsters did in deed make it and here part of a wonderful wine county dinner.

• Posted by Chris on June 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Flew another airline with a turtle once. It sat in it’s cage with it’s owner.

• Posted by Claudia on June 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Makes one wonder what flies from where to there we DON’T find out about. ;) And why the heck can’t someone figure out how to sneak ME on-board already!!

• Posted by Nancy on June 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Flew from Logan/Boston on United to Seattle with a gallon of fresh Maine Clams on dry ice. It started to leak before boarding the plane so I put it in a garbage bag and carried it on and stored it under my seat. This was at least 30 years ago.

• Posted by Keith on June 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm

TSA is very thurough in their carry-on checks I see. Can’t leave liquids in the bag but if I notice later on I forgot to take a few things out, doesn’t seem to surprise me they miss it anymore

• Posted by Rob on June 29, 2010 at 4:38 am

Was standing in a line at SLC a few years back in December and the woman in front of me had a live Goose in her arms dressed in a red and green outfit that matched her own. No cage or carrier of any kind and she got through security with it. Can’t imagine being the person sitting next to her on that flight.

• Posted by Kevin on August 13, 2010 at 8:05 pm

…. I feel so safe knowing that you can sneak all sorts of living creatures onto a plane. Now I regret not keeping that Mahi Mahi i caught off the coast of Jamaica